Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Cabinet Help  (Read 1530 times)

Moleburt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 05:40:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade Cabinet Help
« on: October 12, 2019, 02:39:45 pm »
I'm in the process of building my first full cabinet, I already have my side panels cut out, my control panel box and top cut out and put together, I'm starting to put the ledger board around the side panels to attach everything to. The problem I'm having is for the base of the cabinet, I'm going to have 4 metal casters, 2 locking and 2 non locking, but i don't know how best to put it together, would a piece of 3/4 mdf be strong enough or do I need to build it up to make it stronger, I'm not very handy with this type of stuff so I am lost on how to approach this. Any help or insight would be great.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Arcade Cabinet Help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:09:41 pm »
I would add support for the wheels with some 4"x2" so there is something beefy for them to attach to.  You could also just double up on the 3/4" where they are going, Assuming you are going to use bolts to attach.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:16:00 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 05:11:52 pm »
I'm going to have 4 metal casters, 2 locking and 2 non locking, but i don't know how best to put it together, would a piece of 3/4 mdf be strong enough or do I need to build it up to make it stronger, I'm not very handy with this type of stuff so I am lost on how to approach this. Any help or insight would be great.
There are many ways to do this.

In order to use locking casters, you'll need enough clearance to lock/unlock them.
- Even when locked, they can still pivot during vigorous gameplay.

You might want to consider non-swiveling casters for the back and swiveling casters + leg levelers for the front.
- Roll it into place then lower the leg levelers.

You might want to look at step 3 of Ond's Metropolis build.
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Build_an_OND_designed_cab_Metropolis

There are many other good examples in Project Announcements.

Scott

Mr. Peabody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 05:17:57 pm »
Of course non-swivel for the back. As many have mentioned over the years.

I recommend making the bottom out of plywood, and bolting through. You could use a metal plate in the kit of each if you want it more robust.