Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best options for converting my existing cabinets?  (Read 1706 times)

tandrews

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2019, 08:10:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Best options for converting my existing cabinets?
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:53:38 am »
I presently have two cabinets available: San Francisco Rush the Rock: Alcatraz and Cruisin USA. My goal is to be able to not only play mame but PC and Xbox 360.

I have a few available options:
  • For RtR, use a Teensy (using my own code or SailorSats RawHID version) or my arduino Mega (with SailorSat's software)
  • For Cruisin, use my JoyTech Nitro steering wheel and put it the spot of the existing wheel
  • Enlarge the hole on Cruisin to fit my MOMO steering wheel
  • Use the existing wheel in the same fashion as RTR (Teensy)
  • Get a different wheel with FFB, recommendations?

Is FFB with stock steering possible? Couldn't find any info on it. Whats my best option overall?

68hc11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2019, 12:18:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Best options for converting my existing cabinets?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 12:18:47 pm »
Warning you are about to go down the rabbit hole!

Simplest approach would probably be an off the shelf solution to just hack in a x box with controllers and be done with it.

You've suggested several hardware hacks.  If you really wanted to dedicate the effort you should be able to retain the original controls but then you will fight with the game software/emulators to get the type of control and feedback you are after.  (Take a peek at the racing simulator world for other control hacks, mostly PC centric)

You didn't mention what games you are most interested in or linking the cabinets (who wouldn't).  I would suggest a game driven approach (pick the games you are most interested in and follow the "best" path to that experience based on what others have done).

I think the Atari & Williams cabinets have similar Happs Steering in them & 5K pedal pots?  I think those are both 4:3 25/27" monitors (keeping or replacing monitors?  Almost certainly easier to replace than to interface depending on your approach).

As much as I appreciate MAME I think it is a poor choice for most racing games that I enjoy, but then again I don't understand which racing games you are after.

68hc11