Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade live-CD 2022 (collaborative effort)  (Read 124711 times)

rewind22x

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2023, 11:05:44 am
  • that's same combination i have on my luggage!
Re: Collaborative effort for GroovyArcade
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2021, 12:01:24 pm »
For the wifi connection I'm using SSID / PW authentication (Unifi waps).
It was also nice that the ethernet interface grabbed an ip automatically as well.

Yeah, I was aware that ESC is the default. Hitting that would actually kill the process.  But this was to configure joystick buttons to kill the game and go back to AM.  I vaguely remembered setting that in AM (EXIT HOTKEY), but just decided to set it in MAME (UI_CANCEL) and that fixed that issue.  Then I kept experiencing the issue I posted in my *update*.

I'll give the updating 2020.06 a try.  Just run the updating scripts in gasetup, correct?

*update*  I'm doing all this on an modded Arcade1Up (LCD) at the home, so don't need to worry about switchres for the moment.

*2nd update*  I must be doing something wrong, with regards to updating.  I've confirmed that I'm connected to the internet, I go to gasetup and run all the options to update the various things but there nothing available to update under everything option, with the exception of gasetup.  but that fails

I also try via the desktop/terminal 'sudo pacman -Syu' but it also fails (can't import the PGP key).  Another issue I'm experiencing (which is weird because I'm almost positive I've been running build 2020.06 on this hardware since it released up until this past weekend) is that once I get the build installed to the hard drive and copy over some ROMs, test some out- if i reboot, GA will no longer recognize my joysticks nor buttons.  Keyboard only.  AM will recognize the joysticks and buttons.  Super weird. I'm going to try a straight install and then reboot without changing anything to see if I can reproduce it.  It's probably some hardware issue on my end.  Frustrating tho.

I'm pretty novice with linux, so don't feel you need to spend a lot of time (or any) troubleshooting these issues.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:23:21 pm by rewind22x »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 02:35:43 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2021, 01:05:33 pm »
forget about the update scripts in gasetup, they are worth out of date, I'm about to start rewriting them.

To update everything go for sudo pacman -Syu --ignore=groovymame which will fully update the OS.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:07:46 pm by Substring »

rewind22x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2023, 11:05:44 am
  • that's same combination i have on my luggage!
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2021, 01:24:00 pm »
just posted an update.. lol.

will do, thanks man.

*update

still getting the Import PGP key error.

*update 2

nevermind. I just did a clean install and went straight to the desktop and it updated.  I must have been doing something to jack it up before. sorry.

* update 3

So, I've been messing with previous builds to update from.  reading up on arch, pacman, and just doing a bunch of trial and error learning.  2020.06 was great except that once I powered off or rebooted the machine, the joysticks/buttons would no longer be recognized in GA.  so weird.  Then I moved back to 2020.04.  That build worked well except it wouldn't get proper mame names in AM.  It would list the filename.... stupid issue, I know... and since resolved.

So on a whim, I just reinstalled 2021.1.  Left AM alone, fired up a game, set some buttons for coin/start/ui_cancel.  Noted that the audio was not present, as before.  AM does have audio.

So I got the idea to jump out to the command line, I updated while there, and then ran groovymame.  Went into the Audio options, set samples rate to 41000hz and external samples to off.  Reloaded AM, loaded a game and the audio worked!  I then tested with several other games with the same result.  Rebooted and checked again- still working.  I then went back to the command prompt, ran groovymame, and set the Audio settings back to default (48000hz and external samples on).  Got back into AM, ran a game and audio still was working.  Rebooted, checked more games; still working.

So you are probably right that it's something to do with GM, but maybe just needed to be reset by changing the audio settings?  Maybe it needed to be initialized? I did both, but it very well could just be one of the setting that needs to be changed (either Sample rate or External samples).  I'm happy either way.  The last lingering issue that i see- and it's really petty, is that, often, when you run a game from AM, you get a brief "loading", then black screen, then a few seconds of the "loading" screen again before the game initializes.  I believe previous builds jumped straight the game more seamlessly.

Anyway,  dude, thanks so much for this build and your advice.  Bare minimum, it's such a great option for those who just want arcade games.  Looking forward to putting this on the CRT cab at the office and use if for what it was truly made for.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 02:06:49 am by rewind22x »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2021, 05:48:43 am »
The joystick fix has been given a few posts above : add the arcade user to the input group and you're fine.

Could also switch to SDL audio, but it's said to have more lag than portaudio

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2021, 08:13:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #244 on: February 03, 2021, 11:25:13 am »
Hello,
I am new to groovy arcade. I assemble a small pc with spare parts, ryzen 1700 and R5 230. I have a sony bvm 20f1e crt. Between the pc and crt i use a sync combiner as i was pretty sure the output from my 230 will be HV sync and not composite.
I tried the last iso, the livecd started, i got a nice 480i resolution. First strange thing, it says my graphic card doesn't support low pixel clock... it's suppose to support it well that is why i use this card.

I select standard 15.7khz crt. I install ga to my pc ssd, when i reboot i got this :

https://www.casimages.com/i/210203052655882835.jpg.html

I tried to make retroarch to work with another install (manjaro) and get similar thing when i activate the 15 khz mode.

Another question, is there any way to activate csync out ? It is suppose to have this option in crt emudriver windows driver.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 05:49:14 pm by atohmdiy »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2021, 02:19:48 am »
Hi!

First: no csync out. Would require some more kernel patching as well as GM/switchres evolution. Not done so far, not even sure it would work as expected.

Now for your problem, I need a few answers :
- which HFreq have you enabled when booting the iso ?
- have you tried the livecd part on the iso ? Was it working good (attract mode + groovymame) ?
- once installed, does the boot splash screen display correctly ? (The one with the GA logo + progress bar) ?

Last technical details :
- VGA is RGBHV (as of now)
- I didn't enable low dotclocks for your GPU since I wasn't dure at that moment the driver would support it. Pretty easy to fix, need to edit 2 files.

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #246 on: February 04, 2021, 01:14:07 pm »
Hello,

I don't know. When i boot the iso it asks to press enter two times, then i select standard 15 khz display. Then there is the menu.

- have you tried the livecd part on the iso ? Was it working good (attract mode + groovymame) ?
I just try with the live-cd option, it works, but the interface in "attract mode" is very slow, i need 5-6 second when i hit up or down to move.
Except that i try to start a game and it works. The load screen also works fine. It seems to stay in interlaced resolution however, i'd prefer a nicer 240p, at least for the games.

- once installed, does the boot splash screen display correctly ? (The one with the GA logo + progress bar) ?
No it don't. It is obvious the resolution is too high. At start there seems to be a menu, but it's unreadable so i just press start, then the boot splash and then interface is in the wrong res.

I can ssh to my ga installation, i guess i need to modify a file somewhere to force 240p ?

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #247 on: February 04, 2021, 04:27:10 pm »
Hello,

I don't know. When i boot the iso it asks to press enter two times, then i select standard 15 khz display. Then there is the menu.
The question was rather right after the BIOS. I guess you chose 15kHz
I just try with the live-cd option, it works, but the interface in "attract mode" is very slow, i need 5-6 second when i hit up or down to move.
Except that i try to start a game and it works. The load screen also works fine. It seems to stay in interlaced resolution however, i'd prefer a nicer 240p, at least for the games.
I suspect Attract Mode not going too well with Ryzen. The fix is complicated sadly and you're pretty much on your own : https://gitlab.com/groovyarcade/support/-/wikis/2-HowTo/2.4-Troubeshooting#no-keyboard-input-in-attract-mode-frontend-high-cpu-usage-on-single-coresthreads
AL is in interlaced by default, yes, i don't set 240p as default beacuse text messages are almost impossible to fit
No it don't. It is obvious the resolution is too high. At start there seems to be a menu, but it's unreadable so i just press start, then the boot splash and then interface is in the wrong res.

I can ssh to my ga installation, i guess i need to modify a file somewhere to force 240p ?
then go for sudo nano /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and change 1280x480iS to 320x240S. You can do that from the text menu, in the video options

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: February 05, 2021, 07:15:11 am »
I already tried that, nano said "[ Directory '/boot/syslinux' does not exist ]", i then realize this is the EFI directory (/boot/EFI/syslinux).

I got this in my syslinux conf, there is no 1280x480iS that i can change for 320x240S

default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu title Groovy Arcade Linux
menu background splash.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux /vmlinuz-linux-15khz
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0
initrd /initramfs-linux-15khz.im

musclepower

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2022, 06:48:35 am
« Reply #249 on: February 05, 2021, 09:55:51 am »
Hello, I have been using GroovyMAME and CRT Emudriver on Windows for a while and wanted to try GroovyArcade. I used groovyarcade-2021.01-x86_64.iso with Rufus to make a bootable USB stick. It booted fine, I was able to select 15 kHz mode and get to the splash screen with the black loading bar. However nothing happens after the loading bar is full. Am I missing a prerequisite to boot from USB ?

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #250 on: February 05, 2021, 01:50:44 pm »
I already tried that, nano said "[ Directory '/boot/syslinux' does not exist ]", i then realize this is the EFI directory (/boot/EFI/syslinux).

I got this in my syslinux conf, there is no 1280x480iS that i can change for 320x240S

default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0

You've chosen SVGA at boot. I'd need to know the linux connector name not to force a 15kHz resolution on all of them.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #251 on: February 05, 2021, 01:51:22 pm »
Hello, I have been using GroovyMAME and CRT Emudriver on Windows for a while and wanted to try GroovyArcade. I used groovyarcade-2021.01-x86_64.iso with Rufus to make a bootable USB stick. It booted fine, I was able to select 15 kHz mode and get to the splash screen with the black loading bar. However nothing happens after the loading bar is full. Am I missing a prerequisite to boot from USB ?

Try etcher, some people reported that burning the ISO to USB had various results.

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: February 05, 2021, 02:23:03 pm »

default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade

You've chosen SVGA at boot. I'd need to know the linux connector name not to force a 15kHz resolution on all of them.

I am using the vga output, strangelu xrandr show no output (Can't open display )

So i use this command :
[arcade@GroovyArcade ~]$ find /sys/devices -name "edid"
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:0c:00.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:0c:00.0/drm/card0/card0-VGA-1/edid
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:0c:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DVI-D-1/edid

So i guess it's the VGA-1 interface.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #253 on: February 05, 2021, 05:36:18 pm »
I am using the vga output, strangelu xrandr show no output (Can't open display )

So i use this command :

Better check the value of status rather than the presence of the edid. That said, now you should append "video=VGA-1:320x240S" to syslinux.cfg (on the line starting with append=). Still 640x240 or 640x480i give better font reading, or a wider display that make things easier to display and read

musclepower

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2022, 06:48:35 am
« Reply #254 on: February 06, 2021, 11:16:41 am »

Try etcher, some people reported that burning the ISO to USB had various results.

Same result with etcher. 2020.06 is working though.

Edit: removing UEFI boot in my computer boot menu did the trick, now 2021.01 is loading correctly from USB flash drive.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:50:48 pm by musclepower »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #255 on: February 07, 2021, 05:56:21 am »
UEFI can be very picky. Things like "Fadt boot" can also make booting fail

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2021, 09:08:25 am »

So i use this command :

Better check the value of status rather than the presence of the edid. That said, now you should append "video=VGA-1:320x240S" to syslinux.cfg (on the line starting with append=). Still 640x240 or 640x480i give better font reading, or a wider display that make things easier to display and read

Hello,

Ok it is working fine. Now i need to make the sound to work and it should be fine. I need to use the spdif toslink out of my motherboard, but it is not working. There is nothing in the menu to select what sound output to use, i try to activate the spdif out with alsamixer and set the hd audio as default as describe here : https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Setting_the_default_device
The other device in my system is the hdmi out of the r5 230 graphic card that i won't use.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2021, 12:15:01 pm »
alsa is the worst pita back from the dinoraurs time of Linux ... The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the output is enabled in Alsa and not muted. Then, you'd have to edit ~/.asoundrc to set the right sound output

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2021, 01:50:19 pm »
Alsa is fine, this is this interface that is a damn catastrophy, to be able to choose the audio output is a very basic feature. I would rather have a simple text interface to choose the rom.

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2021, 07:33:02 am »
Hello,
Thank you anyway for your help, i manage to make it work. I modify ~/.asoundrc and not the one in /etc/... and it works fine now.

I tried some rom but a few games just crash at startup. I tried some irem m92 and it works fine, but neither metal slug 6 or cps2 games are working. Also wanted to try demon front but again it is crashing at startup.

From what i remember metal slug 6 is terribly emulated in mame, i tried it on flycast and it was working fine. I guess the problem is that it's a 480p native game, but in flycast it is possible to downscale in 240p. I am no specialist but i guess the atomiswave should have some kind of 15 khz compatibility mode as 15 khz cab was the majority back then.

For demon front it's strange aspect ratio if i remember, it's 400x200 or something so it's a 2 of aspect ratio. Not sure if this game support a standard 4:3. Anyway it crash at startup.

For cps2 games it's strange, i remember it is also a specific aspect ratio but it is strange it crash.

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2021, 12:56:43 pm »
Well it's me who is stupid, i forget the bios archives  :banghead:

Did someone have any tips to run metal slug 6 in 15 khz ?

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2021, 01:06:31 pm »
You can't compare Flycast and Mame. Flycast is really dedicated to the dreamcast hardware, where Mame is like a big truck definitely not optimised for such a single system. But I think MS6 was plain 480p, so mame would run it at 480i.

Demon Front is 448x224@59.185606 Hz (http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=dmnfrnt&arcade_only=0&autosearch=1). No probs on CPS2 here.

atohmdiy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #262 on: February 11, 2021, 07:20:38 am »
In flycast it is possible to force 240p in the option, and when you start ms6 it's obvious it's downscale. I don't know if it's flycast that downscale or an original function of the hardware. Problem is, when i try with retroarch (15 khz crt mode enabled) and flycast, even if i set the 240p in flycast, their resolution utility want to start the game in 480p. In mame the game indeed start in 480i, but it freeze at the difficulty selection.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #263 on: February 11, 2021, 08:52:23 am »
Retroarch ... Sorry, can't help with that for now, it uses its own switchres code that needs quite some cleaning

Nikoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 06:29:24 am
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2021, 01:45:43 pm »
Retroarch ... Sorry, can't help with that for now, it uses its own switchres code that needs quite some cleaning
And that don't work with 2 or more monitors....  :banghead:

Nikoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 06:29:24 am
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2021, 01:54:45 pm »
By the way... hi everyone, i'm new here, i'm very happy i found this place, i'm carefully reading all your posts and i'm learning so many things (and i'm consolidating the things i already knew) and i'm starting to do "two + two".
I will immediately start asking you something on this forum ;-)
Congratulations to all for your commitment and for your knowledge (and sorry for my bad english, it's my limit  :dunno)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:57:06 pm by Nikoh »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2021, 07:25:46 am »
Welcome on board, this is your captain speaking :)

Your english is more than good so we understand you. I'm not a native english speaker as well ;)

DanielBohrer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 06:58:31 pm
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2021, 08:07:01 pm »
Hey guys!

This is my first post here. I just started messing with GroovyArcade a few weeks ago and it's really great to have such a robust tool available for free, thank you everyone involved in developing and maintaining this.

I'm running build 2021.01 on my CRT-based arcade cabinet (via Jpack). I was able to install/configure everything, load Attract Mode, it all works.

I have two problems:

1. the system doesn't recognize/find any drives I plug into the system with Roms on them (tried NTFS and FAT32 USD drives as well as an internal SATA HD)

2. No matter, as I was able to FTP into the system and add roms to the shared/roms/mame folder.

This is where I have a problem: As soon as I edit the rom folder (be it adding or deleting roms) when I boot Attract mode back up the list is empty (I have the UI but no names or snaps show up) and I can't load any games "blindly" either.

Sorry if this is a common error/question, but any insights would be much appreciated as my searches have not been successful.

Thanks!!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2021, 04:51:39 am »
Hi there! Welcome onboard!

Hey guys!

This is my first post here. I just started messing with GroovyArcade a few weeks ago and it's really great to have such a robust tool available for free, thank you everyone involved in developing and maintaining this.

I'm running build 2021.01 on my CRT-based arcade cabinet (via Jpack). I was able to install/configure everything, load Attract Mode, it all works.

I have two problems:

1. the system doesn't recognize/find any drives I plug into the system with Roms on them (tried NTFS and FAT32 USD drives as well as an internal SATA HD)
Indeed, nothing is made to auto mount drives. I may add that to the next release. The thing is : there is no such a thing by default in Arch Linux. The solution I may implement : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Mounting_drives_in_rules
2. No matter, as I was able to FTP into the system and add roms to the shared/roms/mame folder.

This is where I have a problem: As soon as I edit the rom folder (be it adding or deleting roms) when I boot Attract mode back up the list is empty (I have the UI but no names or snaps show up) and I can't load any games "blindly" either.
FTP or Windows network shares work with user arcade/arcade. Roms aren't autorefreshed nor autoscraped, you need to press TAB, go to the emulator, then generate the romlist + scrape from there

DanielBohrer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2021, 12:10:28 pm »
Hey Substring,

gotcha, thanks for the answers! I was conflicted with some things I read online and youtube videos I've seen with older releases and how to mount drives, but now that I understand a bit (I think :lol) the different branches of GA it makes sense.

The FTP works great and I'll follow the instructions you sent to generate the rom list.

Cheers!

DanielBohrer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2021, 07:07:47 pm »
Hey guys!

Ok, got the game list generated and scraped artwork, so that's working great. However, when I load a game, it shows me the progress window (loading machine) but when it's done loading it goes back to the menu and doesn't load a game. I have thus far tested:

- Games of different sizes/ages like arkanoid and guiltygear from the same romset (split 0.220)

- FF3 3rd Strike no CHD release (not sure what mame version it was made for)

Is it a version issue? Any leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2021, 03:52:22 am »
Check the log in shared/logs/mame.log, I guess your romset is not valid.

DanielBohrer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2021, 10:02:51 pm »
Thanks again Substring.

The log has some good info. Each game seems to be missing different things, but it's a great resource to google deeper and figure out what. Seems more of an issue now between my roms and mame, but I need to understand better all that goes into mame and/or specific rom requirements (like bios files, etc.).

Cheers!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2021, 04:51:41 am »
Let me give you a little background explanation.arcade games are eletronic boards with chips. These chips are dumped and put together in a zip file to "reflect" a board as precisely as possible. Unlike console emulators that are way more lenient on these roms, mame needs the exact dumps and identifies them with some crc like hash. With time, new dumps appear, some chips are redumped, and mame needs to adapt to those changes.

Let's take a very sample : wrally that is shipped with GA. In with mame 227 or 228, there was a new file for the rom. Mame considered that the wrally rom needs that new file, and therefore considers roms that miss that new file as unusable.

There are tools to validate a romset (the most famous one being clrmamepro on windows). Such tools use a mame dat/lx file (which lists roms mame knows with the exact detauls of the dumps required), and will check your roms to tell you if they are valid or not.

That's the "Arcade emulation 101" ;)

DanielBohrer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #274 on: March 17, 2021, 10:51:09 pm »
Hey Substring,

sorry for the late reply here. That's great info! Thank you for taking the time to explain the basics, this does help a lot.

Cheers!

Prog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2023, 07:17:55 am
« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2021, 11:01:21 pm »
Here are a few things I learned in my GroovyArcade excursion. I am running on an old Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA 5000 that I ordered a couple years back.

"Issue #0" was that I needed CSync for my modded TV and the ArcadeVGA only output HV sync. Thankfully, eventually this article was posted to RetroRGB about how to build a simple sync combiner. It won't always work but I built it on a breadboard and it works well for this application. (Protip: Make sure you have a strong ground connection between both sides of the VGA connection! Loose breadboard holes alone simply won't do!)
The first issue I encountered was that I kept getting booted to the emergency terminal. At first I thought this was related to errors I encountered trying to change the default res in GASetup. Later I found out that my fstab file had allocated my installation pendrive as sda and my HDD as sdb, so when I unplugged the flash drive, syslinux couldn't find the OS as the HDD then became SDA. My fault for not heeding "be sure to remove the installation media."
The second one was that I couldn't get internet. Luckily, a gaming PC I had on hand had an unused wifi card which worked out-of-the-box with Arch. You won't always be so lucky.
Third is that my sound would occasionally drop-out mid game. It would always work after I exited MAME, and I could even initiate audio playback in the background of MAME. With some troubleshooting I determined that the sound would not do this if I had another sound file playing in the background, and I deduced that, for whatever reason, the sound card was entering some kind of power-saving mode in MAME. I found a solution online to disable power saving in my particular sound card's kernel module (snd_hda_intel). The configuration files on GroovyArcade are in a deprecated location, according to the Arch wiki, but for now, it worked. If you need me to track down more details of how I fixed this, lmk.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2021, 03:16:26 pm »
Hey everyone !

The March 2021 iso is out!

What's new:
- fixed 31kHz boot
- new update menu
- usb drives automount
- afew bugs fixed here and there

To download: https://github.com/substring/os/releases/tag/2021.03

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2021, 05:41:37 am »
Thanks Substring, I hope to try this out in the next week or two.   :applaud:

Question though.. the previous version uses an older version of groovymame I am assuming?  I think .221 ?  I have about 100 roms on my cab.  I am guessing some of these will need updating, or is there an easy way to revert to the older version of groovymame?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 05:43:47 am by Jimbo »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2021, 02:46:37 pm »
We're always moving forward, no easy way to roll back to a previous version of mame (but it's technically possible)

Prog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2023, 07:17:55 am
« Reply #279 on: March 28, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »
Noob question, but will all this stream down to me if I update via pacman? Or do I need to do something with the iso