Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade live-CD 2022 (collaborative effort)  (Read 124721 times)

Substring

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 02:35:43 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Re: Collaborative effort for GroovyArcade
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2020, 02:08:48 pm »
So the fix is in 2 steps :
- run the command but point to ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
- edit ~/.xinitrc and change the openbox etc... Lone by pointing to the same file as above (keep the & at the end)

Just tried this before leaving home, replying on my phone in a bar  :cheers:

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2020, 02:25:40 pm »
That worked mate! :)

I *think* the problem before was that I didn't have that lxde-rc.xml file.  After I entered the desktop though, it looks like maybe that created it (?).  Up until this point, I never once even entered the desktop after installing GA.

But my crisis is averted - thanks again!  Enjoy your drink!   :cheers:

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2020, 02:50:52 pm »
Thanks for confirming it the fix ! That's also part of the "collaborative" side of GA :)

I'll fix that in the package. But regarding the iso, it's still much work, and I don't have time for that yet ... Will really do my best tontelease a new iso when I have time

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2020, 04:31:11 pm »
Hey don't rush, you already did a stellar job.   :applaud:

I have one other issue that's just arose.  I reprogrammed the J-PAC to remove the shift functionality on the START1 button.  This has worked, but now it seems when GA boots, the image on my 15Khz CRT is out of sync.  AM loads fine, but you can't really see it.  If you then start MAME, screen is perfect, it sets the correct resolution.  When you exit MAME back to AM... out of sync again.  I don't know what's happened - maybe something has reset when I reprogrammed the J-PAC.

However - maybe others have similar generic issue where this happens - can you offer advice on the best way to get either 640x480 interlaced, or (in my case) 640x240 progressive back as the starting resolution when GA boots up, after the resolution has somehow got messed up?

What is the general way of fixing this?  You have to also plug in an LCD in the DVI port and use GASetup? Or can I SSH to set the resolution in a config file?

Thanks!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2020, 04:34:13 am »
In gasetup (the text menu), you can go to setup > video > video boot options, (not sure of the exact name). There you can select a new resolution. gasetup can be run through SSH (you need sudo)/ The other way round is to edit as root /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and set the resolution in the video=<connector>:xxxxxxx. Resolutions can be 640x480iS, 640x240S, even 1280x480iS which offers an intereting visibility. There is a bug (fixed on my side, not pushed yet) in the video boot menu : if you cancel, the resolution is "erased" from the kernel command line parameter, so you should set one again. Will push the fix soon through a usual update.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2020, 05:21:20 am »
Thanks - ah great that gasetup can be run through ssh!

Yes I have experienced that bug a few times  :laugh2:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2020, 03:16:01 pm »
If I go into gasetup via ssh (sudo'd), as soon as I select "Video Resolution" from the menus, gasetup exits immediately back to command prompt.

Here is my /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg : -

Code: [Select]
default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu title Groovy Arcade Linux
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux-15khz
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=generic_15 video=VGA-1:e
initrd ../initramfs-linux-15khz.img

If I edit the video=VGA_1:e and instead put video=VGA_1:640x240S then the OS doesn't seem to boot up.  I get a black screen and no audio.  Not a complete crash though as I can still SSH in.

Same if I change to video=VGA_1:640x480iS

:(

Any ideas?  I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to set/change resolutions - in fact I don't even recall going into gasetup before this happened - all I did was unplug the J-PAC, reprogrammed the shift key, and plugged it back in (jumpers untouched).  The update to the J-PAC has worked fine as I can load MAME from a garbled/out-of-sync AM and get the proper game resolutions.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2020, 04:00:14 pm »
The line should be :

append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=generic_15 video=VGA-1:640x240S

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2020, 04:21:15 pm »
Yes that's what I changed it to.  After rebooting with this I get the black screen with no sound.

(edit: sorry just noticed VGA_1 typo in previous post)

To confirm, this happens to me with either "video=VGA-1:640x240S" or "video=VGA-1:640x480iS"

edit again:   when gasetup crashes/exits, I can see a bunch of lines of text fly by briefly in the terminal.  I don't know if they are errors but they're too quick to read and are then gone.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:25:54 pm by Jimbo »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2020, 04:44:42 pm »
Time for some news !

As already said, the tools required to build the iso have evolved. I used to patch them (mostly to handle a different kernel name), this will take me some time to adapt, so no new iso for NOW

BUT !

GroovyArcade is modular, and since GroovyArcade is using the default package manager, some parts can be updated one by one, even through a full sytem upgrade. So here are some news :
- I always make full updates of my test box . So don't be scared to go pacman -Syu. You may face some conflicts (like fonts for the graphics server) : not a problem, accept.
- I finally made a package of the GroovyArcade boot screen ! Just go pacman -Sy plymouth-theme-groovy then sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R groovy. This way, updating plymouth won't restore the default boot screen
- gasetup : the bug when skipping the video boot resolution should be fixed by now
- galauncher : someone asked me to put the CPU governor in peformance mode when starting groovymame for better frame delay. Server !
- groovyarcade-config : you may have some trouble updating it. I can't test it sadly, but pacman -Sy groovyarcade-config --overwrite /home/arcade/.xinitrc. As a general rule, i strongly recommend you don't edit that file as it may get new updates that would erase your customizations. If required, I'll add a "user" .xinitrc file that can be freely edited and that would be called by the real file.
- groovymame 224 is a little late ;) Talking about that, it's a good idea to also update groovymame-config at the same time. This way, history.dat and mameinfo.dat files are also updated

That's it for now :)

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2020, 04:45:26 pm »
Yes that's what I changed it to.  After rebooting with this I get the black screen with no sound.

(edit: sorry just noticed VGA_1 typo in previous post)

To confirm, this happens to me with either "video=VGA-1:640x240S" or "video=VGA-1:640x480iS"

edit again:   when gasetup crashes/exits, I can see a bunch of lines of text fly by briefly in the terminal.  I don't know if they are errors but they're too quick to read and are then gone.

Then video=VGA-1:640x240eS maybe ? Can't know if the connector needs to be forced to on

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2020, 06:35:11 am »
Then video=VGA-1:640x240eS maybe ? Can't know if the connector needs to be forced to on

OK - I have got it working.  I'm still not sure I fully understand what was the problem, but I had to do the following to fix it: -

First I tried video=VGA-1:640x240eS to no avail - still failed to boot.  Then I checked the gasetup source and saw that the regex looks for the entire resolution including the [iS] together, so I moved the "e" to the end as the code looked like it would parse that no problem:   video=VGA-1:640x240Se .

On a reboot AM loaded up garbled/out-of-sync again.  I ssh'd in and ran sudo gasetup. This time I was able to enter the Video Resolution selector screen, and pick "640x240S".  As soon as I picked this/pressed OK, gasetup quit immediately back to terminal.

tailing groovy.log and I saw this: -
2020-09-16 18:01:49 - main(140): ################## START OF INSTALLATION ################## -
2020-09-16 18:01:49 - start_process(51): *** Executing worker configure -
2020-09-16 18:01:52 - mainmenu(101): *** Executing worker setup_menu -
2020-09-16 18:01:55 - worker_setup_menu(239): *** Executing worker video_menu -
2020-09-16 18:01:56 - worker_video_menu(37): *** Executing worker kernel_video_boot -
2020-09-16 18:02:11 - main(144): -------------- STOPPING INSTALLATION ---------- -

Upon reboot, everything back to normal and working!

So I'm glad it's working of course, but I'm not sure why the problem existed in the first place, and why gasetup was exiting back to terminal.

So if you want me to run any more tests let me know, it's no problem.

And thanks for your previous post about the updates!  :cheers:

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2020, 07:19:56 am »
First question : have you updated gasetup ? The crash is supposed to be fixed, but maybe I'm missing a test case. Crashes are not reported in the log sadly. As you had posted your syslinux.cfg, I will test it to see what I'm missing.

Hard to understand why it works now, can you post your definitive syslinux.cfg ?

Now, just for a reminder : you should get your resolution way before AM loads. The kernel will switxh to it very early in the boot process, it's hardly a few seconds after syslinux has loaded the kernel into memory, meaning the plymouth boot screen is immediately in the final resolution.

Glad it works on your side, i'm unhappy (with myself) that gasetup is failing too often.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2020, 08:14:06 am »
Hey Substring

I'm running the 2020.06 iso, have not done any updates yet.  I'll fire it up in a while and post the definitive syslinux.cfg.

Yeah I can tell as soon as bootup starts whether it'll work or not as its subtly different, and of course the GA splash screen is either visible or garbled.

Don't worry about things failing... it's part of the process of success :)

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2020, 10:22:54 am »
Here's the syslinux.cfg: -
default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu title Groovy Arcade Linux
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux-15khz
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=generic_15 video=VGA-1:640x240Se
initrd ../initramfs-linux-15khz.img

I remembered something else I did before hand.  When trying to solve the virtual desktop keyboard shortcut issue, I went into the desktop to look if there were any related settings.   As part of this, I couldn't see all dialogs in 640x240 progressive, so within the desktop preferences I changed resolution to 640x480.  Do you think this might have something to do with it, and somewhere along the lines something got confused with conflicting resolutions?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2020, 10:59:10 am »
I also made a simple attractmode layout because I couldn't find a simple one I liked from the ones included.

It works great with 640x240, probably fine with other resolutions too.

It just uses 1 font, 100% free from dafont.com.  If you want to include it in the next ISO be my guest...

Simple GameRoom AttractMode Layout

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2020, 03:48:17 pm »
Nice theme, i'll make a package of it ^^

for resolutions : there is a PAL  progressive resolution available if you feel like having AM at 50Hz hehehe So the vertical resolution is slightly higher, that's the best progressive resolution you can get.

strontium

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2021, 05:12:52 pm
« Reply #217 on: October 19, 2020, 11:58:30 am »
couple of quick questions:

1.) Is there any way to disable the plymouth boot screen
2.) What if I want to change the image displayed. Change the groovyarcade image?
3.) Is there a way to rotate the boot screen for vertical monitors?

thanks again for a great build.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #218 on: October 19, 2020, 12:52:43 pm »
yeah :

1. as root, edit /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and remove the "splash" word. It won't display anymore, but will still be "loaded" in the initramfs and in RAM. Y§ou need to remove plymouth from the hooks in /etc/mkinitpio.conf

2. as of now (but it won't last since the plymouth theme is now a package), you can edit the files in /usr/share/plymouth

3. I'm not sure, but if you set the screen as rotated in gasetup, it might change the rotation of the logo. If not, copy lvr.png/lvl.png over arch-logo.png (if I'm not mistaken)

Once done, you need to regenerate the initramfs (if you update the kernel, it will be done automatically)

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2020, 03:22:39 pm »
So, after some hard work, a new beta iso is finally available, I hope to release a new stable version in December!

Rion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:07:39 am
  • 240p, 480i
« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2020, 05:11:16 am »
@Substring

Is there any chance to include Emulation Station as an alternative Frontend?

I would also really like to install Retroarch and use Crt Swtichres.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2020, 04:14:24 pm »
Hi,

Regarding ES ... Well, can, of course. But which version ? Retropie's ? The original one that is absolutely obsolete ?

Regarding RA : can't say I really want to have it as its CRT implementation is far inferior to groovymame. But someone is working on it, i'll review it and do the polishing before adding it to GA. It's a matter of weeks

Rion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:07:39 am
  • 240p, 480i
« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2020, 08:07:54 pm »
Hi,

Regarding ES ... Well, can, of course. But which version ? Retropie's ? The original one that is absolutely obsolete ?

Regarding RA : can't say I really want to have it as its CRT implementation is far inferior to groovymame. But someone is working on it, i'll review it and do the polishing before adding it to GA. It's a matter of weeks

That's excellent news! Can't wait  :)

I know that Retroarch CRTSwitchRes mode is still under heavy development by Benjamin Templeman (alphanu). But it is slowly improving for every version. Sadly Benjamin had a broken knee and is now recovering from surgery.

When it comes to EmulationStation forks i think that Batocera's fork is hand down the best version out there. Lots of configuration option. Its like you took the best parts from both RetroPies fork and Recalbox into one.
https://github.com/batocera-linux/batocera-emulationstation

Again my personal opinion.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2020, 05:56:45 am »
Batocera .. Many reasons I don't want it :
- has some batocera specific code
- I know the main dev rather well, as I was working with him on Recalbox for months. But he just stabbed us in the back by forking and stealing Recalbox work countless times. Big ethical no.
- their version is a massive recamp of Retropie's

If you're unhappy with AM (which I can understand), You can try retroFE (good luck for the configuration), mehstation or the only real challenger around (which I do keep an eye on because it's awesome) : pegasus-fe. Not yet very popular, so not many themes available. But it's by far the most promising one, heads and shoulders above ES and AM. The only reason I'm not switching to it yet is that it doesn't update the romlists.

for RA ... Despite alphanu made some interesting work, I can't say the code is neat (far from it in fact). I'm personnaly against adding RA, but I understand some people feel comfortable with it and are used to it. So es, will add RA. Someone on our discord is working on it.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2021, 01:20:52 pm »
Finally some news!

The new ISO is out, at last! It took me quite a while to adapt to a new version of archiso (the tool behind the creation of the DVD, which is a Arch Linux tool) but at least, now things are done in a much better way, and less hackish than before. There are not that many new features to be honnest, here are the visible ones :
  - you can finally install and use GA with UEFI
  - totally rewrote the wifi configuration
  - includes Calamity's kernel patch to wok on DCN1 Ryzen APU ;)

There is a number of changes under the hood which are not worth to be detailed. But there is on important change (transparent for 2021.01 iso users, but require a small order in steps for people updating their existing install from a previous iso) : if you want to update GroovyMAME, i strongly recommend you update gasetup first, and then GM. If you just went the pacman -Syu way, then simply resintall groovymame again (don't uninstall it). The reason is that there was a big change on what gets triggered when there is a new mame version installed. Please run your updates with the arcade user.

As usual, feedbacks are welcome.

Next big work: rewrite the update system inside the groovyarcade setup menu ! I'd also like to simplify the locale settings (choose a language, a keyboard, set the timezone), got a few leads for some autoconfiguration things if network is enabled.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:30:55 pm by Substring »

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2021, 06:47:14 pm »
Does the new GroovyArcade fork have a name yet?

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2021, 06:47:22 am »
Errr no. I started it with a new internal name, but never published it so.

Any idea ? Keeping GroovyArcade in the name is almost mandatory, I'm open to suggestions. I thought about :
- GroovyARCADE-UX
- GroovyARCADE +
- GroovyARCADE-NX
- YAGA (Yet Another GroovyArcade)

donluca

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:04:20 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2021, 08:14:22 am »
YAGA sounds good and very traditional in the unix world :P
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2021, 11:45:31 am »
I also like YAGA.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2021, 12:00:31 pm »
Why a new name? This should be the evolution of the project, not a fork in my opinion.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2021, 05:20:03 pm »
Great work - many thanks! :)  I agree with Calamity btw re the name!

donluca

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:04:20 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2021, 05:39:55 pm »
Why a new name? This should be the evolution of the project, not a fork in my opinion.

I believe Substring and Ves are taking different approach and, yes, Substring's work definitely looks like a fork to me.

EDIT: just to make it clear: I agree with you, to me this should be an evolution, but alas...
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

dmckean

• Offline Offline
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2021, 06:58:10 pm »

Forking a project and trying to take the name with you never works out well.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2021, 02:16:37 am »
For people who want to suggest/vote for a new name : https://forms.gle/X7KwVri5LF3CC2dZA

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2021, 04:24:54 pm »
So I'm using the newest 2021 ISO as of this writing, and I have a few issues:

First off, I'm using Radeon on a regular VGA CRT, and both the 31khz high resolution arcade option and 31khz 120hz PC CRT options work out of the box more or less for me. Great! Couple questions:
1- Does the 31khz 120hz PC CRT option include BFI?
2- I can use gasetup to pick a vertical monitor orientation, but neither attractmode or groovymame display vertically after doing so. Manually editing /home/arcade/shared/configs/mame/mame.ini has no effect either. Ideas?
3- not related to the GA Iso, but I can't join the GA discord, it just shows as "no text channels" and frequently crashes my client. I understand this may be an issue on Discord's end, but just wanted you to know it's happening.

Thanks!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2021, 05:21:18 pm »
So I'm using the newest 2021 ISO as of this writing, and I have a few issues:

First off, I'm using Radeon on a regular VGA CRT, and both the 31khz high resolution arcade option and 31khz 120hz PC CRT options work out of the box more or less for me. Great! Couple questions:
1- Does the 31khz 120hz PC CRT option include BFI?
What I can tell is that nothing is done for BFI. I just hope BFI is not a windows specific feature, nead to ask Calamity sama
2- I can use gasetup to pick a vertical monitor orientation, but neither attractmode or groovymame display vertically after doing so. Manually editing /home/arcade/shared/configs/mame/mame.ini has no effect either. Ideas?
AM has no setting for rotating the layout, it's definitely a per layout thing, so not something I can configure on my side.
Regarding MAME, I just set "orientation". I you wanted a "force any game for a vertical setup", then you have to force it yourself. This has been tested, in case you doubt ;)
3- not related to the GA Iso, but I can't join the GA discord, it just shows as "no text channels" and frequently crashes my client. I understand this may be an issue on Discord's end, but just wanted you to know it's happening.

Thanks!
The invitation on my signature has been used almost a 100 of times, so I'd say it's a discord temporary problem.

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2021, 05:38:37 pm »
It's not a matter of doubt, I can provide video proof that changing the gasetup monitor orientation has no effect on how games display in groovymame, and the ini file I listed has no effect on that even if manually edited.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2021, 05:44:25 pm »
replied to your issue on github ;) could be on my side indeed. Will fix it by the end of a week, will simply require a gasetup update.

rewind22x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2023, 11:05:44 am
  • that's same combination i have on my luggage!
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2021, 04:58:06 pm »
First off, thank you so much for keeping this project alive.  The pandemic put the brakes on my office project http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.msg1708425.html#msg1708425, but I will soon be diving back into that.  This weekend, I replaced the vertical LCD in my arcade1up cab with a 19" lcd, horizontally mounted (required making a new mount and bezel).  Took the opportunity to install the new build.  Very please with how little fuss it took to get wifi working... and stay working.  Kudos!

One issue I ran into though... not sure if this is where to post it, but here goes:  Setting 'Exit Hotkey' in AM will not close the game.  It exits you back to AM, but the game continues to run in the back ground.  It was driving me nuts why the machine would get progressively slower and slower.  And when you would select a new game, you get a half second view of the previous game running before the new game starts loading.

Long story short, I cleared the Exit Hotkey option in AM and just set it in MAME itself. (UI CANCEL).  That seemed to do the job.  And, who knows, maybe it's always been this way and I've forgotten.  But I seem to recall the AM "Exit Hotkey" was the way to go.

I'm having some audio issues (some games, that previously had audio, now do not (X-MEN COTA, VS SMB), but I suspect that it's a MAME/hard ware issue.

Thanks again!

*update*

so I did a clean install- to rule out the possibility that I messed something up the first time araound, but still have issues with audio.  I can't prove it, but it's like AM keeps control of the audio (and runs in the background) while a game is running.  I then performed a clean install of 2020.06 and everything is working fine (sans wifi-  thank you for that!). Again, no clue if this in on your end or an issue with GA or AM or what.  Just reporting what I'm experiencing.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:09:53 am by rewind22x »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2021, 05:07:58 am »
First off, thank you so much for keeping this project alive.  The pandemic put the brakes on my office project http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.msg1708425.html#msg1708425, but I will soon be diving back into that.  This weekend, I replaced the vertical LCD in my arcade1up cab with a 19" lcd, horizontally mounted (required making a new mount and bezel).  Took the opportunity to install the new build.  Very please with how little fuss it took to get wifi working... and stay working.  Kudos!
Glad to see you're happy with it and that WiFi works fine :) Out of curiosity : Did you use the traditionnal SS/Dpassword combo or tried WPS? ?
One issue I ran into though... not sure if this is where to post it, but here goes:  Setting 'Exit Hotkey' in AM will not close the game.  It exits you back to AM, but the game continues to run in the back ground.  It was driving me nuts why the machine would get progressively slower and slower.  And when you would select a new game, you get a half second view of the previous game running before the new game starts loading.

Long story short, I cleared the Exit Hotkey option in AM and just set it in MAME itself. (UI CANCEL).  That seemed to do the job.  And, who knows, maybe it's always been this way and I've forgotten.  But I seem to recall the AM "Exit Hotkey" was the way to go.
ESC is UI_CANCEL by default.

The AM side worries me more, AM would be supposed to kill the process, but looks like it's failing. Will talk about that with one of AM devs, I don't use that feature myself, but gotta see if it's not a problem with the script that launches GM ...
I'm having some audio issues (some games, that previously had audio, now do not (X-MEN COTA, VS SMB), but I suspect that it's a MAME/hard ware issue.

Thanks again!

*update*

so I did a clean install- to rule out the possibility that I messed something up the first time araound, but still have issues with audio.  I can't prove it, but it's like AM keeps control of the audio (and runs in the background) while a game is running.  I then performed a clean install of 2020.06 and everything is working fine (sans wifi-  thank you for that!). Again, no clue if this in on your end or an issue with GA or AM or what.  Just reporting what I'm experiencing.
That worries me more. Someone reported audio disappearing after a few seconds to a few minutes. I experienced that once. My first intuition would be that it's on MAME side. A few ways to test that : use the 2020.06 iso and update everything BUT groovymame, or just switch to the real MAME ... many ways to check that. You could also just download the 226 binary from Calamity's repo and test (beware, there are some mame.ini parts that changed between.226 and .227, and they concern switchres)