Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovymame 0.261 - Switchres 2.002zz  (Read 107460 times)

DJO_Maverick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 07:39:02 pm
  • Chrono Crosser
Re: Groovymame 0.257 - Switchres 2.002v
« Reply #400 on: October 01, 2023, 12:58:53 pm »
Any chance we'll see that H-Freq unlock you mentioned coming in this month's update?  Maybe?  Possibly?  Pretty-please?   :D

*fingers-crossed*

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #401 on: October 01, 2023, 02:00:04 pm »
So...AMD Fluid Motion Frames support in Groovy...when ?  :lol
Surely we can deal with ~60ms lag as long as we get doubled motion perception, right ?  :laugh:

EDIT: or FSR3 Frame Generation idk. AMD like to make their new features announcements as confusing as nVidia's apparently.
FSR3FG must be implemented in a game by the devs to be used, and it uses motion vectors to generate the interpolated frames. FSR3FG can be used on any GPU.

AFMF can be enabled on any game that runs on DX11/12, doesn't need to be implemented by the devs, but that means that it can't use motion vectors, so the quality will always be worse than FSR3FG. AFMF can be used only on RDNA3.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 02:10:41 pm by schmerzkaufen »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.259 - Switchres 2.002w
« Reply #402 on: October 03, 2023, 12:46:45 pm »
GroovyMAME 0.259 is out!

What's new in Switchres 2.002w (October 2023)

- [Linux] Added Switchres fixes to drmkms backend to properly poll dri devices.

--------------

Note: As of 0.259, baseline MAME supports fractional steps in the cpu overclocking sliders, so there's no need for our previous thing since it's officially supported now. Notice that in order to apply fractional steps you must hold the shift key while you use the cursors. Please check that everything works as intended with your previous overclock settings.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #403 on: October 03, 2023, 12:50:42 pm »
Any chance we'll see that H-Freq unlock you mentioned coming in this month's update?  Maybe?  Possibly?  Pretty-please?   :D

*fingers-crossed*

If you mean the pixel clock upper limit, unfortunately that's needs an important modification to the AMD adl backend. I'd like to say it should be addressed soon but I can't promise it.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #404 on: October 03, 2023, 02:28:04 pm »
Thanks !  :applaud:

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:03:50 am
« Reply #405 on: October 03, 2023, 03:29:09 pm »
Thank you Calamity!!

DJO_Maverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 07:39:02 pm
  • Chrono Crosser
« Reply #406 on: October 04, 2023, 07:39:14 pm »
If you mean the pixel clock upper limit, unfortunately that's needs an important modification to the AMD adl backend. I'd like to say it should be addressed soon but I can't promise it.

Thank you.  Looking forward to it, I think it's about the only thing keeping this monitor from its full potential.

For the moment, I've been messing around and finding kind of arbitrary 18:16 desktop resolutions that are just low enough to allow switchres to function correctly for refresh swapping, and then letting the display upscale it...  not ideal, but, seems like the least-bad option?

Milsancho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:53:50 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #407 on: November 20, 2023, 06:44:00 am »
Is anyone else with oldish CPUs noticing performance issues with recent Groovymame versions?

My card is an R7 200 series for a 15khz display and I can't get for the life of me full speed when I set frame_delay at 1 on relatively elementary games like Truxton or the Neogeo with a dual core Pentium G3258 at 4.2ghz, and I refuse to believe that's not enough for stuff like that! I'm not even using superresolutions and the only options I touched were the port audio settings. Am I wrong (and obsolete, lol)?

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #408 on: November 21, 2023, 07:21:20 am »
Quote from: Calamity
In old versions, previous to the existence of fame delay, the emulation speed was assumed to be perfectly constant, so syncaudio was a good compromise to deal with situations where the speed was slightly (or greatly) off 100%, provided it was a constant value. This tipically happened when running vertical games such as 1942 or galaga on a horizontal monitor. The pitch was lowered as a trade-off.

Now, since the introduction of frame delay, it's become common to have "erratic" speed rates, even if just in a few situations. These speed drops cause annoying pitch variations. If these cases are common, it's a better compromise to dissociate audio from video, and just maybe just cope with an sporadic sample underrun that will probably pass unperceived.

Other sources of these speed fluctuations may be the actual apis used for timing in C++, that might be changing their behaviour over time and provide bad measurements on certain hardware. This would explain some appearently random speed flutuations on otherwise perfectly capable hardware.

For all these reasons I think nowadays it's better to leave syncaudio disabled. You'll just notice crackling when speed can't follow the original like with vertical games on horizontal monitor and progressive modes, that you can bypass by lowering -syncrefresh_tolerance.

Maybe it's normal behaviour? Your CPU should be fine.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 07:28:23 am by Recapnation »

Milsancho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #409 on: November 21, 2023, 09:55:44 am »
Indeed the games speed fluctuates eventually between 98 and 102%, depending on the game, and only with frame delay on (no matter if at 1 or at 7). Sometimes it goes down to 94% for a moment. Doesn't happen at all with other games, usually older.

I tested it with an older Groovymame (previous to v0.220) and it doesn't happen, so I wonder if it's now a normal thing (or non-important stuff related to the apis as you posted)? Windows 7 and d3d ex (video auto) here.

Thanks.

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #410 on: November 21, 2023, 10:32:55 am »
94 % sounds like a bit too much. Are you displaying games for vertical monitors on a horinzontal set-up? Post a log, in case.

donluca

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:43:35 am
« Reply #411 on: November 22, 2023, 06:30:53 am »
Is anyone else with oldish CPUs noticing performance issues with recent Groovymame versions?

My card is an R7 200 series for a 15khz display and I can't get for the life of me full speed when I set frame_delay at 1 on relatively elementary games like Truxton or the Neogeo with a dual core Pentium G3258 at 4.2ghz, and I refuse to believe that's not enough for stuff like that! I'm not even using superresolutions and the only options I touched were the port audio settings. Am I wrong (and obsolete, lol)?

Cpu should be alright, although... only 4.2Ghz?
When I had it for my GroovyMAME box, I had mine hitting 4.8Ghz with two cores and 5Ghz on one core.
You must have been really unlucky with the silicon lottery :/
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:03:50 am
« Reply #412 on: November 23, 2023, 04:52:57 am »
When this happens to me it's usually because I've set the config to somehow not use any hardware video acceleration so the CPU is doing all the upscaling.

Milsancho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #413 on: November 23, 2023, 12:59:59 pm »

Cpu should be alright, although... only 4.2Ghz?
When I had it for my GroovyMAME box, I had mine hitting 4.8Ghz with two cores and 5Ghz on one core.
You must have been really unlucky with the silicon lottery :/

Do you mean that the CPU should be alright even at 4.2ghz or that I should o'c it even more to be good enough? I'm not sure it'll be safe if I do it with mine, which I got second hand after reading here it was good for Mame, though not in a recent post.

When this happens to me it's usually because I've set the config to somehow not use any hardware video acceleration so the CPU is doing all the upscaling.

Well, I'm testing without any scaling involved, or so I hope. I'm using a CRT and the native resolution. Unless you mean the card config? I haven't even installed anything aside from Emu Driver, so other than Windows resolution manager, I can't tweak much.

Anyway, here's a log.

Average speed: 99.94% (59 seconds)

I used Truxton as it's likely the one I get more speed fluctuations with. To make sure it has nothing to do with scaling, I set the native 3:4 resolution and orientation. This is with frame delay at 2, but it doesn't matter if it's at 1 or at 7 as I mentioned. With this game, I also get speed fluctuations according to Mame's display with frame delay at 0, though a bit less.

Aside from adding some resolutions when launching VideoModeMaker, I followed the guides without touching mame.ini much. The log says also this though: Direct3D: HLSL initialized and I have hlsl_enable at 0, not sure if that's normal?

-With Groovymame 0260 from the github, in case the log isn't noting this.-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 01:07:27 pm by Milsancho »

donluca

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:43:35 am
« Reply #414 on: November 23, 2023, 04:15:25 pm »
Do you mean that the CPU should be alright even at 4.2ghz or that I should o'c it even more to be good enough? I'm not sure it'll be safe if I do it with mine, which I got second hand after reading here it was good for Mame, though not in a recent post.

Your CPU should be plenty, I was just pointing out that the G3258 generally OC much higher.
By going higher with the OC, it will give you better performance in 3D titles and will allow you to push frame delay further.
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.261 - Switchres 2.002x
« Reply #415 on: December 03, 2023, 06:31:34 am »
GroovyMAME 0.261 is out!

What's new in Switchres 2.002x (December 2023)

- [Linux] Add new option -dri_device. Use to force vsync on a specific gpu, e.g. "card0", "card1", etc., or "auto" for automatic selection (currently it will pick the first device with a valid connector.

- [Windows] Raw input improvements. Workaround for devices with buggy drivers. PlayStation triggers hack removed. Should now be compatible with most existing gamepads. [star69rem]
Steps to create a log:

Milsancho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #416 on: December 20, 2023, 07:51:01 am »

Hello and sorry to ask again about this, but I'm wondering how many of you also get speed fluctuations as mentioned the other day:

In old versions, previous to the existence of fame delay, the emulation speed was assumed to be perfectly constant, so syncaudio was a good compromise to deal with situations where the speed was slightly (or greatly) off 100%, provided it was a constant value. This tipically happened when running vertical games such as 1942 or galaga on a horizontal monitor. The pitch was lowered as a trade-off.

Now, since the introduction of frame delay, it's become common to have "erratic" speed rates, even if just in a few situations. These speed drops cause annoying pitch variations. If these cases are common, it's a better compromise to dissociate audio from video, and just maybe just cope with an sporadic sample underrun that will probably pass unperceived.

Other sources of these speed fluctuations may be the actual apis used for timing in C++, that might be changing their behaviour over time and provide bad measurements on certain hardware. This would explain some appearently random speed flutuations on otherwise perfectly capable hardware.

For me, the case where I get constant 100% speed has become odd, no matter if audiosync is enabled or not. Is this really assumed to be "normal behaviour"? I really don't know if I should worry about it and try to get new hardware at this point or if emulation isn't actually affected once you set the audio properly per game. No issues at all however with groovymame version 0.218.

Also, what's a good game to configure Port Audio settings in general? I many times get sound crackles, but some times syncaudio solves it. As some games sound better with syncaudio and others without it, should I also configure Port Audio individually?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.261 - Switchres 2.002y
« Reply #417 on: December 31, 2023, 10:34:08 am »
What's new in Switchres 2.002y (December 2023)

- [nogpu] First release with GroovyMiSTer support. New video backend -video mister for RGB video through network.

More information coming in dedicated thread.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.261 - Switchres 2.002z
« Reply #418 on: January 06, 2024, 01:35:31 pm »
What's new in Switchres 2.002z (January 2024)

- [nogpu] Properly compute pixel aspect ratio of nogpu(MiSTer) screen.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.261 - Switchres 2.002zz
« Reply #419 on: January 18, 2024, 11:28:00 am »
What's new in Switchres 2.002zz (January 2024)

- [nogpu]
   - Add audio support.
   - Various fixes to allow building on Mac [djfumberger]
   - Fix blinking on internal FE with lz4
   - Avoid modes bigger than RGB buffer (force 640x480)
   - Add bilinear filterning, linked to -autofilterAdd audio support.
Steps to create a log:

Marcoqwerty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 02:46:08 pm
« Reply #420 on: February 13, 2024, 07:55:24 am »
Hello Guys!

Im stuck wth the new 0.261 version with win7 and ATI RADEON HD 5450. I tried sever times to reinstall the driver but nohing, GM wont load and immediately close.

All the info and log file there.

https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,168246.msg1770298.html#msg1770298

Is the first time that happen, is the firt time that i will update the set to the last one included GM version.

Calamity told me to update the driver with the "for GCN* cards", but the new ones dont are supported by my graphic card so i cant install them.

Thank you for any kind of help!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 07:58:55 am by Marcoqwerty »

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:20:29 pm
« Reply #421 on: February 19, 2024, 09:40:30 am »
Hi all and thank you very much to continue the excellent work !

I've got a problem after jump from my 0.218 groovymame setup to recent 0.261:
My vertical games on my second tv crt screen (manually rotated on its right side) are no longer properly displayed, instead I've got strange behavior.
Game is displayed, stretched,  on the first top half part of my first horizontal screen and  of course not entirely displayed. Image on the second tv (the vertical one) shows the windows desktop but stretched too.
So my set is compose by two sony crt trinitron tvs, one horizontal and the other is vertical. The horizontal one is plugged on the DVI-I connector of my Radeon HD 7950 and the other on the HDMI one with HDMI to VGA adapter.
I precise that it works well on Groovymame 0.218.

----EDIT---
I added my ini files.
Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 08:37:54 am by Kabuji74 »

JPetersen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 07:34:18 pm
« Reply #422 on: February 20, 2024, 07:34:07 pm »
Thank you for the new release Calamity  :)

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #423 on: March 07, 2024, 04:26:17 am »
Hi all and thank you very much to continue the excellent work !

I've got a problem after jump from my 0.218 groovymame setup to recent 0.261:
My vertical games on my second tv crt screen (manually rotated on its right side) are no longer properly displayed, instead I've got strange behavior.
Game is displayed, stretched,  on the first top half part of my first horizontal screen and  of course not entirely displayed. Image on the second tv (the vertical one) shows the windows desktop but stretched too.
So my set is compose by two sony crt trinitron tvs, one horizontal and the other is vertical. The horizontal one is plugged on the DVI-I connector of my Radeon HD 7950 and the other on the HDMI one with HDMI to VGA adapter.
I precise that it works well on Groovymame 0.218.

----EDIT---
I added my ini files.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi all, sorry to insist but is anyone has inputs to how new switchres and groovymame versions deal with several crt screens and tate mode ?
Thank you in advance for your help .

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2024, 05:04:31 am »
Hi all, sorry to insist but is anyone has inputs to how new switchres and groovymame versions deal with several crt screens and tate mode ?
Thank you in advance for your help .

Hi,

Your log looks perfect. It should work just like it is. I work here with 2 screens and don't have that problem. Are you using a extended desktop on both screens, right? Have you tried moving the relative positions of the screens in Windows' display settings (moving [1] <-> [2] around)?
Steps to create a log:

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #425 on: March 08, 2024, 08:43:51 am »
Hi,
Thank you for you reply.
Yes my desktop is extended on my two screens. screen 1 is the one in Tate mode (simply puted on its right side, i had not change the screen orientation in Windows)
Moving screens positions seems not to do anything

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #426 on: March 08, 2024, 08:46:14 am »
And here is the result on screens