Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Upgrade monitor on arcade1up using stock pcb board  (Read 9930 times)

ayalaman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2020, 07:03:25 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Upgrade monitor on arcade1up using stock pcb board
« on: May 04, 2019, 12:55:06 am »
I plan on building a Pac man arcade1up machine. A friend of mine gave me a arcade1up Pac Man PCB with the stock control board. I plan on using a 19 inch HP LCD monitor I have. My question is , how can I use this monitor with the stock board ? I don't really want to get into a retro pie or anything like that. I did see one person on YouTube take apart the monitor and plug it in directly on the board but, my monitor wont do that. Is there some kind of LVDS to VGA converter that will work ? Thanks For any help ..

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Upgrade monitor on arcade1up using stock pcb board
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:16:02 am »
I'm no expert on these things, but if an adapter exists it'll probably cost more than the board is worth.  Not worth it imho. 

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 11:37:27 pm »
I plan on building a Pac man arcade1up machine. A friend of mine gave me a arcade1up Pac Man PCB with the stock control board. I plan on using a 19 inch HP LCD monitor I have. My question is , how can I use this monitor with the stock board ? I don't really want to get into a retro pie or anything like that. I did see one person on YouTube take apart the monitor and plug it in directly on the board but, my monitor wont do that. Is there some kind of LVDS to VGA converter that will work ? Thanks For any help ..

Don't listen to people that don't know what they're talking about.

Look at the monitor model number on the back of, as there are different types.

Look up the converter on amazon or ebay, should be around $20-$30, done.

Parts, and links for multiple mods:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a5a2fi/arcade1up_modding_parts_list_updated_frequently/

later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 11:53:14 pm »
And you really think a 1up pcb is worth $20-30?  LOL

Sorry man but I know exactly what I'm talking about.  If I didn't I wouldn't have replied. 

coasterlvr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 10:18:43 pm »
you will have to match up lvds wiring.  look up the stock a1up monitor lvds schematic vs the monitor you want to use.  lvds is not standard across lcd monitors.  i looked into it a little bit.  in the end, it just wasn't worth it.

there are some monitors like the 19" lcd sold by holland computers that will plug right in.  but that's not very cost effective.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 11:29:05 pm »

DId your friend Mod his cab ? IF he did then see if he is using the stock monitor or would be willing to swap it out with a different 17" monitor ( or your 19" ) since that would work with the pi or PC but the stock PCB is more difficult to find a monitor that works with it - so would be much easier for you to build using the stock PCB and stock monitor

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 01:22:52 pm »
Yeah like I said originally, it absolutely isn't worth the cost or effort for what your end product will end up being.  *Sigh*  I can remember when I could just give advice and I didn't have to explain it to death. 

Remember when you are done you'll have a machine that emulates 3 or 4 games... poorly because the settings are hard to get into and some games don't even save settings properly.  You could spend that same 30 bucks on a pi or a used pc and get hundreds if not thousands of games running and the monitor would work out of the box.  I mean if you want to spend more to get less than knock yourself out. 

ayalaman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:42:17 pm »
So I guess I should explain a bit more on what im doing. I already a 12 in 1 1up cab my wife wanted because she likes Centipede . My buddy didn't tell me where he got the Pac-Man pcb and control board . He didn't mod anything he just had this stuff. I do woodworking and have a few sheets of MDF so copying the 1up cab with a router pattern bit is no problem. And people saying its not worth the time because it a 1up machine, If you don't like just building stuff for the fun of it , then that's you..The monitor I have was from a old computer. the pcb board and controller was given to me.So $30 or $40 for a converter is ok with me. Im not into gaming or spend a lot of time playing video games. I just thought it would be a cool project to build. Im reading on this site that a lot of people don't like Arcade1up . Saying its better used as a toilet. I don't really want to start anything but, Im just asking if anyone has done this type of thing with a monitor. I don't need to hear it's a waste of time and money. That's not what I was asking so why post that..

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 06:15:25 pm »
The monitor I have was from a old computer. the pcb board and controller was given to me.So $30 or $40 for a converter is ok with me. Im not into gaming or spend a lot of time playing video games. I just thought it would be a cool project to build. Im reading on this site that a lot of people don't like Arcade1up . Saying its better used as a toilet. I don't really want to start anything but, Im just asking if anyone has done this type of thing with a monitor. I don't need to hear it's a waste of time and money. That's not what I was asking so why post that..

Problem is that the PCB for the A1U is made to specifically work with the display A1U is using - so without both there really is no cheap way to get it working - For Example the PCB is set for a 1280x1024 display and has no way to change that so you would need a monitor that has the exact wiring on the LVDS connection (there is no specific standard for LVDS so no easy way to tell if the A1U wiring is the same as other available monitors and an old PC monitor does not have a LVDS connection- and no one knows if they changed some pins to different pin locations ) - so buying a driver board for a different monitor may/may not work with both the A1U pcb and the monitor (and A1U has not released spec sheets and did not give access to any settings (ie. you can't even adjust the brightness because they left that section of the controller board off so it only has the 1 setting it came with unless you swap out the inverter board) Etc. Etc. Etc. - so trying to get it to work with a different model monitor would mean trial and error and the money you spend attempting it might work or might not.

If you really want to attempt this then the only way to do it and ensure that it would work would be to buy a stock monitor ( which sells on Ebay/etc. for around $70 - $100 ) There is no easy way to just buy a $20 - $30 driver board to use since there are no specs available to say whether the new monitor would work with the stock A1U PCB.

IF you want to read about another person who did this sort of thing trying to reuse a couple of laptop monitors that might reinforce what you are in for in the attempt read here ( https://ilias.giechaskiel.com/posts/lcd_lvds/index.html ) - It's not that anyone despises the A1U cabs it's just not a simple buy a board and connect things !
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:25:53 pm by JDFan »

ayalaman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 06:50:20 pm »
Thanks JDFAN , that's all I was looking for , I might just do Pandoras box or something like that.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:18 pm »
Yeah. If you have an old TV around, CRT or LCD, one of those TV plug-and-play deals would do the trick, and people are probably giving them away in your neighborhood, or bartering for them. Maybe not, given the controls would likely be the same degree of wiring stuff.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:14:01 pm by Mr. Peabody »