Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 way joystick for cocktail table  (Read 2568 times)

TheNightfly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2020, 11:30:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
4 way joystick for cocktail table
« on: April 06, 2019, 04:45:10 pm »
Hi, I'm building a new 3-way mame cocktail table.  On the vertical side Pacman will be the game of choice, followed by Donkey Kong.  I'm looking for suggestions on which 4 way joystick to use.  Any recommendations?

I've been looking at the Servostik which would be cool for the few 8 way vertical games I would want to play, but am concerned about how it would feel for Pacman.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
Re: 4 way joystick for cocktail table
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 01:20:00 am »
I would consider the GroovyGameGear Dominux8 with the 4 way restictor, it sure feels good to me..

Zeosstud

ReaperZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2019, 06:39:46 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 01:21:21 am »
I've been using Servostik and Sanwa JLW in my arcade for about 3-4 years now. Pacman is my game of choice .. You won't be disappointed with that combo.
Sanwa JLF is NOT good for 4 way pacman, its too easy to hit the diagonals even with restrictor

Here's a pic of the placement - I've just purchased some shorter screws for the joystick mounts so they don't get close to the microswitch terminals, and I've just got some 2.8mm spades so the connection on my buttons is better

Note - the joystick isn't centered in this pic, its leaning against a surface so pushing down.

The two buttons on the side switch from 4 way to 8 way. You can get fancy and use a program to do it, but I went the easy way and just wired up two buttons.

The holes are for my cupholders :D

I play mostly 4 player games. Tetris / pacman / donkey kong / space invaders (2 way lol)
Hopefully that helps you .. let me know if you have any more questions
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:24:23 am by ReaperZ »

TheNightfly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 12:45:15 pm »
When you say Servostik + JLW, is that what the stock servostik is?

I was also looking at the Dominux8, but was confused by ordering options because I could get the 4 way restrictor or short throw, but not both.  For Pac-Man I was assuming I would want a short throw stick.

ReaperZ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 01:51:24 pm »
By JLW I mean I'm attaching it to a Sanwa JLW joystick, using a stock servostik :)

Sanwa have two main joysticks, one is called Sanwa JLW, the other is Sanwa JLF.

Hopefully that clears it up for you.

TheNightfly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 02:06:19 pm »
OK, so when you buy the ServoStik (http://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html) it doesn't come with a joystick as part of the package?  The listing implies that it does but isn't really clear.   Do you order the ServoStik + a JLW + the control board?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 02:37:55 am »
OK, so when you buy the ServoStik (http://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html) it doesn't come with a joystick as part of the package?  The listing implies that it does but isn't really clear.   Do you order the ServoStik + a JLW + the control board?

Yes it comes with joystick for ($39.00) then add the control board for ($29.00)
Although I would just go with the Dominux8 and 4 way restrictor (Can't beat leaf joysticks for the old 4 way games) Also Leaf buttons all the way.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 10:02:56 am »
Will the Sanwa JLW mount/screw pattern match up to a Happ joystick. Currently using the Happ reunion 4 way joystick.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 06:55:42 pm »
Will the Sanwa JLW mount/screw pattern match up to a Happ joystick. Currently using the Happ reunion 4 way joystick.
Happ and Japanese mounting patterns are different.

You may want to consider an adapter plate like one of these.

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/en/home/controls/accessories-parts/637-mounting-plates

Scott

ReaperZ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 08:38:50 pm »

Yes it comes with joystick for ($39.00) then add the control board for ($29.00)
Although I would just go with the Dominux8 and 4 way restrictor (Can't beat leaf joysticks for the old 4 way games) Also Leaf buttons all the way.

The problem with this is he stated in his original post he'd like to be able to play some 8 way games too.. It doesn't seem possible to attach servostik to.

Servostik does come with a joystick, but I'd strongly recommend getting the upgrade kit + controller board + a Sanwa JLW joystick.

If you just want 4 way only, sure look at Dominux8 with a 4 way restrictor (switching to 8 way will be a pain in the fking b*tt)

If u want a very very good 4 way, and switchable to 8 way, go JLW + servostik upgrade.

I often have 14 hour pacman sessions, from 2pm - 4am non stop pacman  and the JLW with servostik mod performs impeccably