Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: tiny arcade cabinets with real arcade boards and crts  (Read 1846 times)

tscottn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2022, 02:18:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
tiny arcade cabinets with real arcade boards and crts
« on: April 04, 2019, 12:14:52 am »
i am guessing this has been posted here before.. I cant find the post but if it hasent here it is.. Most people will probably ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- all over this but i still think its pretty cool.  Personally I would rather have full scale but this guy has some skills..

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:27:09 am by tscottn »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: tiny arcade cabinets with real arcade boards and crts
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 12:38:57 am »
Tested has been pissing me off lately.  I really appreciate their enthusiasm in regards to their arcade projects but I get the feeling that they've never spent more than an hour in a real arcade or 15 minutes to do some research.  Anyway, what I find offensive about this one is the video title..... If you build a whole new cabinet to house the game then it isn't a restoration... it's the exact opposite of a restoration.  They are cute... I don't see the point as they are too small to be playable yet too big to be collectable, but I do appreciate the craftsmanship. 

Anyway, they are doing an interesting series where they are remaking warlords to be 6 player.... sometimes I want to reach through the screen with their decisions, but it's still really cool.  In typical tested fashion though, they are stretching the process out over several videos, so we might get to see the end product in a month or two.   

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:16:31 am »
The Starlords series was originally released for Tested premium members several months ago so I've seen the full thing. I went Tested premium to watch their piscore series.

It's actually a good series and a well programmed, well built machine. They're definitely not HARDCORE arcade guys (for example, they didn't originally know about t-molding) but that's okay. It's what makes it good for new viewers.

I could be nitpicky on a few choices they make (like skipping coin mechs) but overall it was a lot of fun to watch.

What's a little disappointing is it seems like all their builds released for premium members eventually get published publicly. So, I probably won't renew my subscription. Saves me money I suppose...

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:22:36 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 01:22:40 pm »
They are cute... I don't see the point as they are too small to be playable yet too big to be collectable, but I do appreciate the craftsmanship. 

This hits the nail on the head.  They are really cool and the craftsmanship is very good but they are too small to really be playable (the custom built stands defeat the entire purpose).  I find that 75% scale cabinets are tough to play (you have to sit or kneel).  I can't imagine trying to play one at 50% scale.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 01:47:35 pm »
I would argue that if you don't know about t-molding you aren't even a  casual arcade fan as it's on every single solitary arcade cabinet, but that's just me.  When the guy was like "I never noticed this rubber bumper stuff before" I thought... this is your first trip to an arcade isn't it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  I think that if people are really wanting to make space-saving arcade cabs, the logical thing to do would be to cut the back off.  If you use a lcd 75% of a cab's depth can be removed... similar to the wall mounted units arcade1up is going to do.  Imho you run into trouble once you start monkeying with the width.... even cabarets feel a bit claustrophobic to me.  About a 2 foot width is the bare minimum. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 09:28:18 pm »
I would rather have one of these than a 1UP. CRT for the win. I wonder where he's getting them. They seem to be 13''.

Also, guy said Donkey Kong 1982. Ooops.