Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pong paddle direction  (Read 1349 times)

gildahl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 04:04:16 pm
Pong paddle direction
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:27:16 am »
In Pong, what is the correct paddle direction?  For example, on original machines does turning the knob clockwise move the on-screen paddle up or down?  Same for both players?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: Pong paddle direction
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 01:57:28 pm »
I can't remember playing on an actual pong arcade machine, but it seems intuitive to have the left player spin clockwise to move their paddle down and the right player spin clockwise to move their paddle up. I believe that that's how Atari designed their excellent Pong reboot, Off the Wall.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:55:06 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 02:58:55 pm »
In Pong, what is the correct paddle direction?  For example, on original machines does turning the knob clockwise move the on-screen paddle up or down?  Same for both players?
Clockwise is up for both players.  (MAME works the same.)

Scott

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 01:09:17 pm »
Playing the left hand side looks super weird that way, IMO. For me, the "face" of the paddle should rotate in a way that matches what you're moving onscreen. That Pong machine looks reversed to my eyes for the left player, similar to how it would look in Arkanoid if you rotated clockwise to move the Vaus left. Luckily, I don't know anyone with strong Pong memories, so I can set it up how I like it, rather than how they remember it.

gildahl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 02:58:35 pm »
The intent of this thread is just to know how the original machine was setup.  I'll assume that clockwise is up for both players is the correct answer.  Thanks!

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:31:12 pm »
Now is when the like function would matter. I'm with Ken.