Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Teknoparrot is kind of a mess. (Driving games/LAN play)  (Read 7131 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Teknoparrot is kind of a mess. (Driving games/LAN play)
« on: March 30, 2019, 12:25:44 pm »
I decided to delve back into TP emulation this weekend. Testing some games I haven't tried in a while. Testing the emulation in general and also focusing on LAN play. Unfortunately I'm finding Teknoparrot more miss than hit. With each new version some things are fixed and it seems like 5 other things get broken. I think its a symptom of adding so many different games so often that its not possible to actually fix the problems in games that have come before. More than likely any issue you have or advice you may look for will be lost in the fray.  Don't get me wrong though I am appreciative of all the work that team has done. But its just a shame that is such a struggle every time I try to get something running.

Anyway I tried to get LAN play going in Outrun 2 spdx, Mario Kart and Sonic All stars racing.

LAN Results
OR2 SP DX. No success. I'm confident my networking was set up properly as I was able to establish a connection between cabinets(pcs). However there seems to be a timer in the game that allows you to pick single player or multiplayer. As soon as you hit start the counter seems to be at zero and it automatically selects "single play". I've tried everything I can thing of. (As a side note the arcade version running on TP is vastly inferior to Howards FXT version at this point. I experienced intermittent audio issues, bugs here and there and over all game looks much better in the FXT version. Truly if we could fix the LAN mode in the PC version we would have the ultimate version...)

Sonic All Stars Racing
No success here either. I had to set up static IPs for this one, I think it expects specific IPs. The first headache came from trying to get into the test menu to set the cabinet IDs. For some reason starting the test menu works intermittent at best. Sometimes it would open right up, other times it would just crash. I finally was able get into the test menu to assign the first PC to ID 1 and the second to ID 2. However there is no sign that the two machines are connected or even checking for a network connection.

Mario Kart.
Finally success. I was able to set up LAN fairly simply, and it appears to work well. Strangely though the game itself looks considerably worse and loads slower, stutters from time to time on one PC and not the other. These PCs are of similar spec and the game is running at the same resolution. But whatever. Maybe its the DPI of the monitor or something.

In conclusion I think I'm going to only use Teknoparrot when its the only place a game is emulated.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:59:51 pm by PL1 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Teknoparrot is kind of a mess. (Driving games/LAN play)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 01:40:34 pm »
Lan mode will be difficult for me to fix as I have to have multiple pcs running at the same time, but I have found the integer that controls what game mode you are in, so I might be able to do something with that as you can change it on the fly. 

TP is a pain to set up but that's because it's doing so much heavy lifting.  In the case of Outrun a Linux game is being ran in windows, which is pretty amazing.  Like yourself though I tend to avoid using it unless necessary if only because I don't want to fiddle with stuff constantly. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 02:02:42 pm »
Lan mode will be difficult for me to fix as I have to have multiple pcs running at the same time, but I have found the integer that controls what game mode you are in, so I might be able to do something with that as you can change it on the fly. 

TP is a pain to set up but that's because it's doing so much heavy lifting.  In the case of Outrun a Linux game is being ran in windows, which is pretty amazing.  Like yourself though I tend to avoid using it unless necessary if only because I don't want to fiddle with stuff constantly.

Yeah I didn't mean you specifically man, I know you have a ton on your plate as it is. I'm just hoping one day somebody will be able to figure out why its (lan) is so dam glitchy on the pc version. After messing with TP for a while I have very little hope the arcade version will ever be full featured. I just have that dream of playing LAN OR2 accross at least 2 cabs in my house...

Well I have 2 PCs set up right now so if you ever need any info based a LAN set up I can try to provide that.

Thanks as always.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 02:27:19 pm »
Shaolin, am I right in thinking you've got a couple of Xbox 360s in your cabs as well as PCs (I might be thinking of someone else...)? If so, you should give the OG Xbox version of Coast 2 Coast a try for your LAN needs (I've got a funny feeling we've had this conversation before).

Now that Lindbergh OR2 SPDX is working for me in Teknoparrot, I need to have a little refresher course in how to add FFB to Teknoparrot games using Boomslang's plugin... Looks like the default TP FFB option's been removed from the new GUI (which I'm not a big fan of - I preferred the old one).

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 05:49:18 pm »
Shaolin, am I right in thinking you've got a couple of Xbox 360s in your cabs as well as PCs (I might be thinking of someone else...)? If so, you should give the OG Xbox version of Coast 2 Coast a try for your LAN needs (I've got a funny feeling we've had this conversation before).

Now that Lindbergh OR2 SPDX is working for me in Teknoparrot, I need to have a little refresher course in how to add FFB to Teknoparrot games using Boomslang's plugin... Looks like the default TP FFB option's been removed from the new GUI (which I'm not a big fan of - I preferred the old one).

You are correct sir and we indeed have had this conversion before. There are a couple downsides though. Playing those games on 360 does indeed upscale, but for some reason it just looks terrible on every monitor I try. The games actually look better in your videos than they do on my 1080p monitors at least OR2 does. Next is the cost of Coast 2 Coast. It at like $140-150 bucks now... I suppose I could mod a 360 or an OG xbox or something... I guess I may have to go that route. Its just so nice to play FXT with all the bells and whistles. But hey beggars can't be choosers, so that may be something I go for in the future.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 06:31:30 am »
It at like $140-150 bucks now...

Holy heck, those prices have jumped up since I last looked. I thought it was just going for more in the US because it was rarer over there, but it seems to be happening over here in the UK too.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 04:50:21 pm »
It at like $140-150 bucks now...

Holy heck, those prices have jumped up since I last looked. I thought it was just going for more in the US because it was rarer over there, but it seems to be happening over here in the UK too.

I'm sure I have this somewhere,  I think I'll go have a look for it  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

sebasterdie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2020, 10:30:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:16:29 pm »

Mario Kart.
Finally success. I was able to set up LAN fairly simply, and it appears to work well. Strangely though the game itself looks considerably worse and loads slower, stutters from time to time on one PC and not the other. These PCs are of similar spec and the game is running at the same resolution. But whatever. Maybe its the DPI of the monitor or something.

i try to setup mine ,  2 teknoparrot with mkdx  rev 1.10.22 ,  is it possible to communicate with you to see how you achieve that ? ive follow some tutorial on internet and nothing happens