Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SCUD race loading slowdowns?  (Read 4612 times)

ignignot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2019, 11:49:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
SCUD race loading slowdowns?
« on: March 26, 2019, 11:13:06 am »
So i just put a pc together with an i3 8350k to run racing emulators.  The day i built it, one of the first games i played was scud race and it ran PERFECTLY at 60fps. 

I have been installing other games over thus week and now when i go to play scud race on the medium track, i get a big slowdown right before the countdown audio kicks in (3-2-1-go!).  After this slowdown the game plays 100% perfect again.  If I starta new race on course 3(medium) there is no lag the secod time, but if i close supermodel and re open i always get the lag at the start of the race.

I have played with the ppc speed setting but a range of 30-88 does not affect this "load-lag"

Anyone have any advice?  I would just deal with it but last week it was working PERFECTLY, id like to get back to that

ignignot

• Offline Offline
Re: SCUD race loading slowdowns?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:36:30 am »
video of issue

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:40:01 am by ignignot »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 06:54:34 pm »
That's odd if it was working OK before. You're probably better off enquiring about this issue directly over at the Supermodel forum to see if Bart or Ian (the developers) can shed any light on it: http://www.supermodel3.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=2 In the meantime, it probably wouldn't hurt to try a fresh install of Supermodel. Are you launching games using a GUI or directly from the Command Line/batch files? All the Supermodel GUIs are third party and have been known to sometimes cause issues if they're being used on newer versions of the emulator that they weren't originally designed for.

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:08:27 pm »
So if I switch between scud, scuda and scudp I get different results but ffb doesn't work on scud plus(bummer) and scuda lags slightly but DURING the race, which really sucks.

Could it be some stupid windows 10 file access thing? Should I be running in xp mode?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:36:57 pm »
I had similar issues with Daytona 2.  It was running fine, then it just started getting slowdowns and I never could track down the problem.  Maybe it's some weird glitch in supermodel?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 06:43:12 pm »
So if I switch between scud, scuda and scudp I get different results but ffb doesn't work on scud plus(bummer) and scuda lags slightly but DURING the race, which really sucks.

Could it be some stupid windows 10 file access thing? Should I be running in xp mode?

The rom for FFB in Scud Race is called 'epr-19338a.bin' if you unzip your Scud rom and copy and paste it into your scudp rom it should make FFB work in Scud Race Plus.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 06:44:47 pm »
which....uh emulator plays skud race? can I use an xbox360 streering wheel?

(sorry little off topic lol)

obcd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2019, 11:44:36 am
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:49:19 am »
supermodel.

It's open source, so you can add wathever controller you want.

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 10:08:12 am »

The rom for FFB in Scud Race is called 'epr-19338a.bin' if you unzip your Scud rom and copy and paste it into your scudp rom it should make FFB work in Scud Race Plus.

thanks for the heads up, this worked great but all of my SCUD rom versions have thier own "slowdown" points.  scuda is the most tolerable, it only lags one time, if i go to lvl 3 first - it lags before the start, if i go to level 1 -it lags before i go into the first tunnel (jump).  after the first lag the game plays great the rest of the time.  most of my other scud versions lag over and over at the same points on the track, particularly on lvl 3 - when i go down the first ramp uinder the giant head, and when i enter the second tunnel with the hairpin it slows down to like 13 fps for a few seconds, which really kills the game because it happens on every lap. and having bullet-time kick in before the hairpin is really lame.

i think it may be my roms, but i just found some fresh 0.201 ones and they give the same results more or less.  if anyone has any ideas i am definitely open to suggestion!

obcd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 02:01:52 pm »
I can't seem to find what video adapter your emulation pc is using. (Maybe I just missed it.)

You could try a dual boot setup on that pc and see if it behaves any different when using xp instead of windows 10.

Available free memory could slow down things as well.

It's totally unrelated and different, but when I tested wacky races, it simply couldn't keep a decent framerate with the buildin gpu.
A cheap low performance nvidia graphics adapter solved the issue.

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 02:25:49 pm »
I can't seem to find what video adapter your emulation pc is using. (Maybe I just missed it.)

You could try a dual boot setup on that pc and see if it behaves any different when using xp instead of windows 10.

Available free memory could slow down things as well.

It's totally unrelated and different, but when I tested wacky races, it simply couldn't keep a decent framerate with the buildin gpu.
A cheap low performance nvidia graphics adapter solved the issue.

I don't have a dedicated graphics card yet, i want to research and get the best one that is CRT emudriver compatible (and occulus rift) so im not jumping intoa  purchase without doing the homework.   It could be a shader thing, the tunnels in medium(waterfall) course is where the lag kicks in and that area has particularly complicated lighting compared to the rest of the course.  i was thinking it may be the echo sound effect kicking in too.  The cpu barely breaks a sweat running SM though (like 10% utilization @ 4.0ghz) and i have ample RAM, also unfortunately, the mobo i got is only win 10 compatible.  Something I wished I had noticed before the purchase, but i was having the exact same issue on a slower win 7 machine as well before i bought the 8350k box.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:27:28 pm by ignignot »

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 09:10:45 am »
Here is some even weirdwr info.

When i boot the pc, if i load scud.zip the medium race has short slowdowns that happen every time i enter the tunnels.

Ifi load up a different scud rom, it will give the reaults in the video above, one long lag and then fullspeeed.

The weird part it, the issue doesn't follow the rom, it follows the rom thats opened first and then second until reboot.

If i boot,  open scud, then scuda, scuda is the one with the long lag.
Ifi boot, open scudp then scud, scud is the one with the long lag.

Super weird to me
I

obcd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 11:44:36 am »
Don't you know someone that has a decent graphic card so you could test the emulator on his setup?
Maybe bring your setup to a computer shop, explain them the issues and ask them to test a graphic card.
My experience with Intel embedded graphics is terrible. It's good to run office, but that's about it.

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 01:46:21 pm »
 :embarassed:

So the issue was with FFB. I had to change the setting for
DirectInputConstForceMax=0
I found a post elsewhere saying this was a required setting for SCUD, while you want it set to 100 for daytona 2.