Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: mobile VR printer stand  (Read 2952 times)

tony.silveira

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
mobile VR printer stand
« on: March 25, 2019, 09:19:43 pm »
so i wanted a high end pc as i have a pimax vr headset on order.  i also wanted it to be easily movable and functional (not just a pc case).

this unit has wheels, and fits under my desk off to the side with a printer on top of it.  now onto the special stuff...

first shot:  just an isometric view.  from here you can see a power button and an AC plugs on the side to power whatever needs power.  on the front, left column, you can see a display port, 3 usb and one hdmi.  this should be ample to plug in any headset along with special controllers (hotas) needed.

second shot:  front panel removed.  small shelf on the bottom that will house three hard drives and on the right inside, a vertically mounted bluray drive.

third image:  smoked plastic removed (held in place by magnetic tape)

fourth shot:  back of unit (a little dirty, it's been repainted).  its open up top to allow heat out and there are two fans mounted on the bottom pulling in cool air.  you can also see a cutout.  that flap flips down bringing the PC components with it to allow me to easily work on the PC if needed.  I didn't take a shot of it opened up as the cabling inside is all clipped down.  i would have to unclip to allow the slack to open it.  if anyone really wants to see, i can add a pic.

number 5:  PC on, pretty lights thru the smoked plastic!

number 6:  isometric with the top.  whats that line thru the middle?  read on...

number 7:  the back half of the top flips up to a 15" 1080P USB-C screen.  this allows me to set up VR anywhere and have a svreen to work with.

number 8:  front half of top also rotates 180 degrees to reveal a keyboard/touchpad combo

i know, the monitor sits a bit low and is obstructed a bit by the keyboard but this cube is 20" tall so sitting in front it in a normal chair, the screen is 100% viewable.  and it's not meant as a mobile play games unit, specifically designed for mobile VR unit.

running an i9900K, 2080ti, 32gb ram, 2 X 2tb m2 drives, 1 500gb m.2 drive, 4tb HDD for backup,

would love to hear your thoughts!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: mobile VR printer stand
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 03:42:01 am »
so i wanted a high end pc as i have a pimax vr headset on order.  i also wanted it to be easily movable and functional (not just a pc case).

running an i9900K, 2080ti, 32gb ram, 2 X 2tb m2 drives, 1 500gb m.2 drive, 4tb HDD for backup,

would love to hear your thoughts!

I think you have built a monster, gonna run VR like hot knife through butter.  Case idea is perfect for a VR Setup, Execution itself could do with some work (Please fill the nail holes)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:04:35 am »
It’s really cool, but the knob is kind of anti-climactic. I’d look for something a bit cooler. Other than that though, I really appreciate the craftsmanship/engineering.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

surtr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 07:52:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:42:47 am »
Looks very cool -- is this built from scratch or did you modify an off-the-shelf printer stand?

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:54:39 am »
yeah, from scratch.  and yes, i do need to fill in the nail holes :). also need to redo the bits of wood that hold the monitor in place.  also, need to paint that small hard drive shelf so it’s all white.  so not 100% complete but on the same page of what still needs to be done.

not sure what to do about the knob, any links on ideas?  fyi, it’s not a door, the rob and bottom of the unit have slots that that front piece sits in.  quick lift and pull  and the front comes completely off.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 02:05:01 pm »
not sure what to do about the knob, any links on ideas?  fyi, it’s not a door, the rob and bottom of the unit have slots that that front piece sits in.  quick lift and pull  and the front comes completely off.
An Amazon search for "flush ring pull" brings up some interesting possibilities.

Scott

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 02:59:13 pm »
Any of those examples the Scottbot posted would be an upgrade. It would take your project to the next level.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***