Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rotation Degree Preferences for older PC racing games  (Read 2013 times)

fjser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 01:42:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rotation Degree Preferences for older PC racing games
« on: March 18, 2019, 03:55:38 pm »
Hi all - I've just about got my racing cab fully setup.  My last step is to update my logitech profiles for each of my games/emulators with the steering wheel degree rotations (using a G29). Fo far, I have settled on following with good results:

Mame/Model2/Model3/Naomi - 270 (with exception of Hard/Race Driving which are set to 900)
N64/Gamecube/Wii - 150
PS/PS2 - 270, or 900 if the original game supported it (IE - GT4)

I am now on PC games. I know that a few simulation style racers like Asetto Corsa, Project Cars and NFS Shift had good support fort 900 degree wheels so Im using that for those, but wondering what everyone uses for older/earlier and arcade style racers? Looks like many of these are user preference in the end.  I am definitely looking for more of an arcade feeling than a simulation feeling, so thinking 200 or 270 is my best bet?  Any thoughts from experience?  My games range from early ones like NFS III and Dirt 2, up to some more recent ones like Burnout Paradise.

Thanks!

VirtuaIceMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 08:16:45 pm
Re: Rotation Degree Preferences for older PC racing games
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:53:59 am »
270 is what older wheels turned to, I believe (like my old red MOMO Force).

I get nicer steering wheel matching what happens on screen on a game recently by setting it to 360.

But yeah, many games it depends on the feel, any artificial non-removable deadzone, changing of linear/non-linear settings. Back in the day I used to do profiles per game, these days I don't have the time/can't be bothered, and either run 900 or 270 on my G27.
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
Re: Rotation Degree Preferences for older PC racing games
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 07:58:18 pm »
270 for emulated arcade games that used 270 degree wheels.
150-180 for old PC games which were meant to be played with analog joysticks.
150 for PC games that were meant to be played with an analog thumbstick.

A lot of games meant to be played with a thumbstick require you to change direction faster than what is possible with a 270 degree steering wheel.
Having a shorter range of motion allows you to change direction faster and the games become more playable.