Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAMEHooker Sega Rad Mobile question  (Read 5089 times)

amiga500

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 03:02:32 pm
MAMEHooker Sega Rad Mobile question
« on: March 19, 2019, 10:09:46 pm »
I've used MAMEHooker and an arduino to drive the recoil for the gun in a operation wolf mame cabinet. It works great, amazing piece of software.
Now I was wondering if it's possible to drive the seat motor in a Sega Rad Mobile Deluxe cabinet with this program.

This cabinet supposedly moves the seat to the sides according to the game. My cabinet has the board that drives the motor missing, and I see that's pretty common for these boards to fail.
I'm planning to convert it to a MAME racing cab, since the original jamma pcb has several issues, and it would be great if the cab movement could be added back.

I've checked the outputs in MAMEhooker for this game, and only the 3 button lights are present, which is great, but the motor signal is missing.

Has anybody tried adding movement to a racing cab? Could MAMEHooker be used for this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:18:09 pm by amiga500 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: MAMEHooker Sega Rad Mobile question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:26:06 pm »
It's probably similar to outrun's mechanism......Plus or minus voltage at ~15 levels of power to turn a single motor left or right.  Right now mamehooker isn't setup well for those kinds of outputs, but the next version might fair better.  If the driver board is emulated or the data can be sorted, it shouldn't be impossible to find the outputs and hook them up.... I did it for many of the old sega boards years ago. 

amiga500

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 07:31:24 pm »
Hi Howard, I see that you're the developer of Mamehooker, right?
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the cab movement is just a motor that turns in one direction or the other.
Looking forward for the next version of MAME Hooker!!

Casselfornia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2021, 10:18:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 01:45:10 pm »
Sorry for gravediggin but I have exactly the same issue. Is there any progress with mamehooker or the motor board emulation? Who do I need to contact to work on the emulation of the drive bd.?

SailorSat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:35:53 pm
    • For Amusement Only e.V.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 08:00:54 am »
From the mame source code.

Code: [Select]
radm:  Motors aren't hooked up, as the board isn't emulated. Also the 2nd and 3rd lamps "die" when the cabinet dip is set to deluxe.
    They probably get moved over to the motor driver board.
I do all that stuff even without a Joystick ;)
Soft-15kHz, cabMAME, For Amusement Only e.V.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 01:51:33 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 11:27:24 am »
Even if 100% feasible with todays software and informations, as far as I know no-one has attempted a full MAME convertion of any deluxe cabinet yet. When I say "full" I mean "up to moving motors", in particular. Not even a superclassic like outrun has a project like that, and motor outs are coded for that gameboard.
It would be a nice project, but unless someone shows how useful would be, the interest on such beasts driver board emulation will always stay in low priority, way under fruit machines and slots machines  :censored:
Start your convertion with what we have: outrun deluxe. In the meantime something will eventually happen  :cheers:
We are here to help you, just in case ;)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:59:38 pm by baritonomarchetto »

amiga500

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 08:27:47 pm »
Just received a notification that there was a reply on this 2+ year old topic.
I have the Rad Mobile deluxe cabinet running groovymame and all the lights in the buttons working with mamehooker. also the original pots on the pedals and steering wheel works with and arduino with custom code. Cabinet looks perfect and you can't tell is emulation once the game is running.
I have not checked if there was any updates on the motor driver board issue, so my cabinet has no movement. I don't have the knowledge to do this, and it is indeed a great project for someone to develop.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 01:51:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 02:14:27 am »
As Arianne pointed out, there are no news on Rad Mobile's driver board emulation. If you managed lamps, you should be able to manage those motors too. You could eventually code a "passive" seat movement, based on player actions (i.e. when I turn left and accel, the seat move right; when I brake, the seat shakes a little). Simple things like that, easy to code with arduino

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 02:58:21 pm »
I mean it's sega so unless they really tried something really ambitious it would be the standard 3 position (left,right,centered) 16 power level setup.   If it isn't already hooked up in mame it shouldn't be terribly hard to find.