Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gyruss Restoration and Possible Addition of Jamma Adapter and 421-1 Cart  (Read 3223 times)

BuckNasty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2020, 08:09:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Greetings all.

I have a Gyruss machine that I just got up and running after two years of it not working properly. Turns out it was as simple as adjusting the voltage on the power supply. Now I'm planning on going down the path of fully restoring it. It's actually in pretty good shape. I'll try to post pictures later when I get home from work. I may start a blog to document it or just document it on here. The list of things I need to do are:

-Repaint the cabinet and coin door

-Get and install new bulbs for the coin acceptors

-Fix and ultimately convert the marquee light to LED

-Resolder one of the speaker wires to the volume control inside the coin door

I haven't decided if I'm going to replace the control panel overlay. Mine is in pretty good shape. It really just has one spot where the vinyl has been worn through. I do plan to disassemble the control panel and give the buttons and joystick a thorough cleaning.

I am also interested in adding a Jamma 421-1 to the machine. I plan on leaving in the stock PCB and leaving the control panel stock. The plan is to add a Konami to Jamma adapter and add the card so that we can use it as a multi-cade, but easily convert it back to stock when we finally get around to building a multi-cade from scratch.

I'd love to hear from anyone about the pros and cons of the things I have listed. I know that repainting cabinets using stencils can be a bit of a hassle, but I figure if I'm going to do it, i might as well do it right.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:41:02 pm by BuckNasty »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Considering Gyruss uses a Monroe joystick that pivots, you’re not gonna have much fun putting games like Donkey Kong or Pac-Man to the cab. Just start building the multicade.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BuckNasty

• Offline Offline
Yeah, I've considered that. I'd still like to give it a go, as we won't be able to start on the multitude until this summer. The Gyruss restore is underway, at least parts have been ordered, and I thought adding a jamma cart to it might add a little spice to the project.

BuckNasty

• Offline Offline
Can anyone suggest the base black for the cabinet and what folks have used to paint the coin doors? I have. I saw a suggestion of automotive paint. Would I be able to paint both the cabinet and the coin door using the same paint?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Throwing a multicart into a classic cabinet automatically disqualifies it as a restoration, and puts it into conversion territory.

This should probably be moved to Project Announcements.

That being said, most of the games in that multicart use more than 1 button. Are you planning on putting holes into the original panel?
Also, I vaguely remember this cart doesn’t like -5v, how are going to handle that? Are you going to build a Gyruss to JAMMA harness and just not include the -5 in the conversion?

Gyruss is a classic, and the cabinet is a wonderful piece of history. It was the first arcade game to host stereo sound output, which was merited by the awesome classical soundtrack. I remember trying Gyruss on those Game Elf carts and the sound being off in a few games including Gyruss.

Personally I’d keep this as a straight restore, but it’s your stuff - you do you.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
I will cry if you rape that Gyruss cab.

BuckNasty

• Offline Offline
Throwing a multicart into a classic cabinet automatically disqualifies it as a restoration, and puts it into conversion territory.

This should probably be moved to Project Announcements.

That being said, most of the games in that multicart use more than 1 button. Are you planning on putting holes into the original panel?
Also, I vaguely remember this cart doesn’t like -5v, how are going to handle that? Are you going to build a Gyruss to JAMMA harness and just not include the -5 in the conversion?

Gyruss is a classic, and the cabinet is a wonderful piece of history. It was the first arcade game to host stereo sound output, which was merited by the awesome classical soundtrack. I remember trying Gyruss on those Game Elf carts and the sound being off in a few games including Gyruss.

Personally I’d keep this as a straight restore, but it’s your stuff - you do you.

Please let me be clear, I don't plan on altering the cabinet(other than some sanding, painting and the other updates mentioned in my original post), altering the control panel, or removing the PCB. Everything is in relatively good shape, even the CRT, for a 36 year old machine. I just spent an hour sanding the Centuri badge from the coin door and will be painting it on Friday. I did purchase a Konami to Jamma adapter and a multicard. I thought it might be fun to hook it up while I'm already mucking around with the machine. Ultimately, the multicart will be used for a separate multicade project. I have an empty space firebird cocktail(sans controllers) that my son is currently using as a desk that I'd love to work on this summer. In the meantime I'd love to be able to test it out the multicart and try some of the one button games in the Gyruss cabinet.

BuckNasty

• Offline Offline
I will cry if you rape that Gyruss cab.

Far from my plan. The Gyruss is simply what I have. I saw that there were adapters out there that would allow me to swap in a jamma multi, without gutting the machine, and I thought it might be fun to play around with.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
I am glad to hear that. Gyruss is a great game.