Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wire 1 Button to Two inputs Zero Delay Encoder  (Read 2026 times)

Garavar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2019, 04:42:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wire 1 Button to Two inputs Zero Delay Encoder
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:25:10 pm »
I am not very "technical" so I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. Some photos or videos would be much appreciated..

Building my first cabinet and want to have a dedicated exit button. So I was thinking of having the button wired to hotkey as well as start so when pressed it would exit game.

Problem is I can't figure out how do achieve this easily. These are the buttons I have https://www.amazon.com/Gamelec-2-Player-Controller-Raspberry-Joysticks/dp/B077FRWMKF/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=arcade+joystick+button+kit&qid=1552958336&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1#immersive-view_1552958347799

Was hoping someone sold a 4 wire to 1 input for coder, or already Y/Daisy chained wire. Thanks in advance for any advise.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:31:03 pm by Garavar »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:55:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Wire 1 Button to Two inputs Zero Delay Encoder
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:59:20 am »
Building my first cabinet and want to have a dedicated exit button. So I was thinking of having the button wired to hotkey as well as start so when pressed it would exit game.

Problem is I can't figure out how do achieve this easily. These are the buttons I have https://www.amazon.com/Gamelec-2-Player-Controller-Raspberry-Joysticks/dp/B077FRWMKF/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=arcade+joystick+button+kit&qid=1552958336&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1#immersive-view_1552958347799

You need one or two "blocking" diodes like this KeyWiz example.
- The Start button in your setup is the "Button X" switch in the diagram.
- The Exit button in your setup is the "Shazaaam! + X (One Click)" switch in the diagram.
- The difference is that the KeyWiz is an active-low device (ground triggers input) and your ZD encoder is an active-high device. (5v triggers input)
-- The common on your ZD encoder is the daisy-chained 5v on the outer wires -- connect the ZD outer wires where the diagram shows ground.
-- The inputs on your ZD encoder are connected to the inner wires -- "Input X" and "Shazaaam!" on the diagram.
-- To make the diodes work properly, reverse them.  Put the cathode (the diode "-" lead/the end with the band) toward the input instead of toward the switch.  Any "1N4" series diode (1N4001, etc.) rated for more than 5v will work for this application.

Was hoping someone sold a 4 wire to 1 input for coder, or already Y/Daisy chained wire. Thanks in advance for any advise.
GGG has a 1-click Shazaaam! Adapter, but the diodes will be installed like the diagram.

I don't recall ever seeing a plug-and-play version that will work with the ZD encoder, but you can easily build one with 0.110" QDs (Male and Female), wire, and one or two diodes.

*hotkey switch* QD (F) ____________
                                                       |

*Exit switch* QD (F)_____+ diode2 -_|__QD (M) *Exit (hotkey) input*
                             |
                             |____+ diode1 -____QD (M) *Start input*
                                                      |
 *Start switch* QD (F) ____________|

If you are only using the hotkey input for the Exit combo (no red), you don't need diode2.

If you have a separate hotkey button (red), you will need diode2.

Scott