Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: dataCade - stand-up Viewlix mod  (Read 4664 times)

hulkster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
dataCade - stand-up Viewlix mod
« on: March 17, 2019, 02:53:08 pm »
Quick intro - I've been a member of this board for around 15 years.  Built my first cabinet (Mamestrosity) before I got married, and now I'm finishing up building one for the company I work for.  Thanks to Stephenpbhs for the inspiration http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108011.0.

I need some help coming up with a good marquee/cp artwork combo.  Theme I'm going for is a technology/computer/hack/code something or other design.  I'm open to circuit boards, motherboards, binary 1's and 0's, pixelated kinda stuff, etc.  I want to keep the colors black and blue, and the blue needs to pull from the tmolding blue color (hex #008DE9).  Any opinions are welcome.  Thanks all.

marquee 1 - https://stock.adobe.com/images/electronic-circuit-and-binary-code/94521802
cp 1 - https://stock.adobe.com/images/abstract-dark-blue-background-with-print-circuit-board-line-and-dot-connection-element-vector-illustration-eps10-004/163039192

marquee or cp 2 - https://stock.adobe.com/images/circuit-board-vector-background/70715770

marquee 3 - https://stock.adobe.com/images/vector-abstract-background-technology-pixel-illustration/82636923

marquee 4 - https://stock.adobe.com/images/binary-matrix-1-0-bits-blue-abstract-background/216875193

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:36:04 am
Re: dataCade - stand-up Viewlix mod
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 05:23:45 pm »
Very nice looking cabinet. I love the ideas for the artwork. I like the CP1 art if you can use the holes for the joystick and buttons as end points. I think that would look VERY cool. I like a mixture of marquee 2 and 3. It would be cool to have the middle lighter and circuits on the outside of the wording. Do you have a name yet?

J_K_M_A_N

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 06:06:28 pm »
Thanks for the input.

"dataCade"..data part is playing off of part of company name.  Hence the design for tech stuff and I want it to look professional.  Aka no arcade character art or whatever.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:28:41 pm »
I think I may have settled on a marquee an cp combo.  Binary 1's and 0's will be marquee, and the circuit board (with 1's and 0's in background) will be cp.  Thoughts?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:08:24 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 07:46:40 pm »
Datacade is a horrible name. Avoid anything with cade at the end of it or MAME at the beginning of it.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 07:55:47 pm »
Datacade is a horrible name. Avoid anything with cade at the end of it or MAME at the beginning of it.

well i did ask for opinions, so i guess i expected this.  no problem....your opinion has been noted, and placed in the pit of despair. cheers.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 10:10:06 pm »
Agreed. It’s kind of a cop-out name with no real imagination for a proper theme title. Surely you can do better than Datacade...this sounds like some kind of IT server storage device or something to do with data mining. My apologies if you’re a  data miner and that was your intent. If so, carry on.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 10:40:23 pm »
It's an IT services company, and all we do revolves around infrastructure, servers, and a bunch of enterprise buzz phrases like "data lakes" and "big data".  Lots of enterprise storage arrays, cloud migrations etc etc. 

SO...yes I know that name is plane Jane and unoriginal.  It's meant to appeal to a bunch of people who have no idea what this hobby is or care to.  It's meant to be obvious.   

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 10:53:40 pm »
Well in that case, plain Jane title for plain Jane people should also host plain Jane art. Just throw the old blue marble/lightning bolt artwork for the early days of mame cabs and be done with it. There’s no point of putting too much thought into it IMO, if it’s more about hitting them over the head with what it is.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 11:20:32 pm »
It's an IT services company, and all we do revolves around infrastructure, servers, and a bunch of enterprise buzz phrases like "data lakes" and "big data".  Lots of enterprise storage arrays, cloud migrations etc etc. 

SO...yes I know that name is plane Jane and unoriginal.  It's meant to appeal to a bunch of people who have no idea what this hobby is or care to.  It's meant to be obvious.

FortiNET keeps buying up products my work owns and putting the word "Forti" in front.  FortiNET, FortiGATE, FortiMAIL, FortiNAC...  It has become a running joke in our office.  First thing I thought when I saw your post is FortiCADE.   :cheers:

I like the profile of your cabinet.  A lot of slim cabinets have no character.  Yours reminds me of the Z-back Street Fighter cabinet.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 09:06:32 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 12:39:24 pm »

"Data Lake", "Big Data" and "Enterprise Storage Array" are all better names than "dataCade", IMO.

Nice cabinet though!   :cheers:

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 04:20:02 pm »
If it's an Arcade cab for a company, don't see any problem with "DataCADE". This stock images would work nice too (Binary wallpaper and Chip design).

I like the cab style and colors are nice.

hurricanefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2020, 10:39:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 05:50:12 pm »
You can name it "Game Cloud".  Love the look of your cabinet.  Did you use tinted plexiglass?

meltman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 06:28:55 pm »
Lol I like "Big Data"

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 11:11:27 am »
MAMECADE  :burgerking:

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:13 pm »
I know everyone here wasn't a fan of the name, and I completely understand, but I've gotten lots of comments from non-hobbyists saying they liked the name. 

Also had 4 different people ask for instructions on how to navigate the frontend.  Just sayin.

Anyway....here are pics of the finished product for those of you that want to see.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:43:06 pm by hulkster »

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 05:23:16 pm »
Nice work! Looks like one could easily add a coin door to that design? That's the thing I've been wrangling with, if I go with the Vigolix style cab.

As for navigation, I think you could have 1 button with the letter "push here!" and there will always be someone who can't figure it out! I plan on making mine as simple as possible. Yet I have no illusions about family members being able to independently operate the machine, as most of them can't even figure out how to turn the TV on.  :banghead: