Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!  (Read 117212 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!
« Reply #400 on: September 17, 2020, 02:34:16 pm »
No, you need to calibrate the position of the MAME crosshairs. For T2, you go into the calibration screen by turning on the service menu through MAME's tab menu, then choosing calibrate guns, then align the MAME crosshairs with the target crosshairs. If you haven't done that already, that should fix your issue with the crosshairs being off your shots.

The T2 crosshairs are in line with the mame crosshairs?

I am talking about the other video of the hunting game where the crosshairs are about 1” to the right of the calibrated shot.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2020, 02:57:02 pm »
No, you need to calibrate the position of the MAME crosshairs. For T2, you go into the calibration screen by turning on the service menu through MAME's tab menu, then choosing calibrate guns, then align the MAME crosshairs with the target crosshairs. If you haven't done that already, that should fix your issue with the crosshairs being off your shots.

I am talking about the other video of the hunting game where the crosshairs are about 1” to the right of the calibrated shot.

You should be able to fix that in the game's service menu, if you haven't already tried. I don't know the game, so I'm not sure.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #402 on: September 17, 2020, 02:59:05 pm »

You should be able to fix that in the game's service menu, if you haven't already tried. I don't know the game, so I'm not sure.

I doubt it as its a mame issue not the game.

Doesnt matter to me as its fine without crosshairs.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2020, 03:01:46 pm »

It's not a MAME issue. As far as I know, it's just normal behavior when you don't align the MAME crosshairs with the calibration targets in the service menu. It should just have to done once per game. It doesn't matter, obviously, if the aiming is working without the crosshairs activated.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:53:41 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #404 on: September 17, 2020, 03:01:56 pm »
The guy waves it around like a magic wand and gets the same kind of performance out of it that I get with my Top Gun.  Yes, my top gun also works great from across the room.

Still waiting on feedback that plays a game like how we actually played them in arcades.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #405 on: September 17, 2020, 03:04:52 pm »
The guy waves it around like a magic wand and gets the same kind of performance out of it that I get with my Top Gun.  Yes, my top gun also works great from across the room.

Still waiting on feedback that plays a game like how we actually played them in arcades.

Did you miss the tracking video PBJ?

I can get similar results on T2 with a joystick but theres no way I can play proper lightgun games with a top gun.

I have one corroding in the loft and thats where it will stay.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #406 on: September 17, 2020, 03:09:34 pm »

It's not a MAME issue. As far as I know, it's just normal behavior when you don't align the MAME crosshairs with the calibration targets in the service menu. It should just have to done once per game. It doesn't matter, obviously, if the aiming is working without the crosshairs activated.

Dont think you are understanding what I am saying.

The Gun was calibrated using the games service menu, But the crosshairs generated by MAME are still where the mouse was BEFORE it was calibrated.

So the shots are accurate in the game but the crosshairs are not.

If you play a game that does not need calibrating the crosshairs line up fine.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #407 on: September 17, 2020, 03:10:54 pm »

The Gun was calibrated using the games service menu, But the crosshairs generated by MAME are still where the mouse was BEFORE it was calibrated.

Gotcha! That is very strange, then.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2020, 03:14:16 pm »

Yup, I suspect the crosshairs are locked to the mouse position so the mouse is located where the crosshair is on the screen but the calibration tells mame that the shot should be 1" left of it in this case.
I mean I could be totally wrong but I am assuming thats how it works :p

But as I say turn the crosshairs off and you dont notice any problem and you have no distracting blue thing flying around LOL

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #409 on: September 17, 2020, 03:20:35 pm »

Yup, I suspect the crosshairs are locked to the mouse position so the mouse is located where the crosshair is on the screen but the calibration tells mame that the shot should be 1" left of it in this case.

But as I say turn the crosshairs off and you dont notice any problem and you have no distracting blue thing flying around LOL

So, before calibration, the Sinden gun, acting as the mouse, is locked directly onto the Mame crosshairs, but then, after calibration, the shots fire to the left? Or was the Sinden gun never locked to the crosshairs in this case?

I'm just curious, as it sounds odd. I'm glad it works without the crosshairs.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #410 on: September 17, 2020, 03:21:55 pm »

So, before calibration, the Sinden gun, acting as the mouse, is locked directly onto the Mame crosshairs, but then, after calibration, the shots fire to the left? Or was the Sinden gun never locked to the crosshairs in this case?

Correct.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #411 on: September 17, 2020, 03:29:45 pm »

Correct.

Which one?  :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #412 on: September 17, 2020, 03:31:29 pm »

Correct.

Which one?  :)

The first one i think, Didnt really pay much attention to it pre calibration :p

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #413 on: September 17, 2020, 03:38:14 pm »
Titchgamer, I think your seriously wasting your time trying to convince pbj of how good the Sinden is.....maybe his trolling i dunno. If he wants to go on thinking that the TopGun and Aimtrak are better products then let him!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #414 on: September 17, 2020, 03:40:33 pm »
Titchgamer, I think your seriously wasting your time trying to convince pbj of how good the Sinden is.....maybe his trolling i dunno. If he wants to go on thinking that the TopGun and Aimtrak are better products then let him!

I aint trying to convince him of anything, think the videos speak for themselves.

If he can get the same results from a top gun then hes a much better man than I because all I could hit with the top gun was the wall after I unplugged it and threw it across the room.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2022, 04:10:00 pm
« Reply #415 on: September 18, 2020, 04:12:13 pm »
What I would do (if I had one). Is tape a laser pen to the gun. Calibrate it using the pointer. Then load point blank and record yourself, using your phones super slo mode mode, waving the gun around quickly while shooting randomly. The shots should hit the laser (or 1 frame out maybe) and then even the most die hard opponent should be satisfied.

Also, top gun guy cant be serious. I've got 2 (and aimtraks) and you move your position a tiny bit and you can't hit that falling leaf in a million years.

Pod

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #416 on: September 18, 2020, 04:15:59 pm »
What I would do (if I had one). Is tape a laser pen to the gun. Calibrate it using the pointer. Then load point blank and record yourself, using your phones super slo mode mode, waving the gun around quickly while shooting randomly. The shots should hit the laser (or 1 frame out maybe) and then even the most die hard opponent should be satisfied.

Also, top gun guy cant be serious. I've got 2 (and aimtraks) and you move your position a tiny bit and you can't hit that falling leaf in a million years.

Pod

Well you could actually fit a laser to the weaver rail if you were that way inclined.

But I wont be doing that as the accuracy has been proven already :)

Plus I dont want to blind myself with a laser reflecting off my TV (again :p )

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #417 on: September 18, 2020, 04:30:25 pm »

Pod

I think there are certain people that only want to complain, so no video is ever going to satisfy them.  Unless they want to post an example video showing exactly what would satisfy them.  But I'm not holding my breath for that.

Edit: And I totally agree with you on the Aimtracks.  These Sindens are so much more accurate.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 04:33:16 pm by SammyWI »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #418 on: September 18, 2020, 04:34:00 pm »

Pod

Unless they want to post an example video showing exactly what would satisfy them.

Considering some of the deviants on here I dont think you want to see those videos!!

:lol :lol

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #419 on: September 18, 2020, 04:46:34 pm »

Pod

Unless they want to post an example video showing exactly what would satisfy them.

Considering some of the deviants on here I dont think you want to see those videos!!

:lol :lol

Well great. Now I have that image in my head.  Glad it's not close to bed time.  ;D

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #420 on: September 19, 2020, 11:36:23 am »
Drewtalks did a pretty good video of him using the Sinden gun on a variety of MAME games. It wasn't sightline as he had the camera showing him holding the gun with the TV in frame, but it was pretty effective at showing how the gun stays accurate when you step to the right or left.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #421 on: September 19, 2020, 11:58:14 am »
Drewtalks did a pretty good video of him using the Sinden gun on a variety of MAME games. It wasn't sightline as he had the camera showing him holding the gun with the TV in frame, but it was pretty effective at showing how the gun stays accurate when you step to the right or left.

Just watched that, He even played T2 😁👍

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #422 on: September 19, 2020, 12:25:29 pm »

Yup, and the tracking looked very smooth without the MAME crosshairs activated. Pretty cool.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #423 on: September 19, 2020, 12:26:44 pm »

Yup, and the tracking looked very smooth without the MAME crosshairs activated. Pretty cool.

Yup, MAME crosshairs are the devil lol

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
« Reply #424 on: September 21, 2020, 09:49:31 am »
So I was literally about to purchase the 2p recoil set from Sinden but I visited Mameworld.info beforehand and someone posted something interesting that has me held up now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcadeeuropelightgun/arcade-europe-lightgun?ref=discovery&term=Arcade

There is a new LCD lightgun kickstarter. This is claiming no sensor bar, no border, no limitation on how close you have to be and dead on balls accurate. They already have the molding done and the PCB.

I’m really not sure what to do now. Ultimately I think we would want something as accurate as the Sinden but without having to even use a border. I’m not very familiar with Kickstarter and I’m not sure how easily it is to have a faux product but regardless it’s something to think about.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #425 on: September 21, 2020, 09:55:38 am »
So I was literally about to purchase the 2p recoil set from Sinden but I visited Mameworld.info beforehand and someone posted something interesting that has me held up now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcadeeuropelightgun/arcade-europe-lightgun?ref=discovery&term=Arcade

There is a new LCD lightgun kickstarter. This is claiming no sensor bar, no border, no limitation on how close you have to be and dead on balls accurate. They already have the molding done and the PCB.

I’m really not sure what to do now. Ultimately I think we would want something as accurate as the Sinden but without having to even use a border. I’m not very familiar with Kickstarter and I’m not sure how easily it is to have a faux product but regardless it’s something to think about.
We covered that particular gun in another thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,163374.0.html

He made some bold claims but has no evidence to back it up.

I would not even consider it until you see some real footage of real results.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:14:17 am by Titchgamer »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #426 on: September 21, 2020, 11:23:06 am »

We covered that particular gun in another thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,163374.0.html

Yeah, that other gun definitely looks like an air mouse. The demonstrator is just dragging a mouse cursor around. The on-gun centering button and the reliance on crosshairs are telling. I have a TV remote that pretty much does the same thing. The technology works decently well, but it's not what I would call a lightgun.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
« Reply #427 on: September 21, 2020, 04:05:09 pm »

Yeah, that other gun definitely looks like an air mouse. The demonstrator is just dragging a mouse cursor around. The on-gun centering button and the reliance on crosshairs are telling. I have a TV remote that pretty much does the same thing. The technology works decently well, but it's not what I would call a lightgun.

You’re right it does and yes the fact that he needs the MAME crosshairs is a red flag. My DS4’s double as Gyromice and they are not an answer to lightgun games at all.

Well Sinden it is. November is not far off at all, One more week and we’re in October anyway.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #428 on: September 21, 2020, 04:09:11 pm »

You’re right it does and yes the fact that he needs the MAME crosshairs is a red flag. My DS4’s double as Gyromice and they are not an answer to lightgun games at all.

Well Sinden it is. November is not far off at all, One more week and we’re in October anyway.
Soon be xmas :D

kim_sama_999

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:18:37 am
  • SHOTA NATION
    • YouTube
« Reply #429 on: September 23, 2020, 07:53:24 am »
I tried to get a perk on the indiegogo but they won't ship to my country  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
YouTube: @KimSamaVideos

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #430 on: September 30, 2020, 09:32:37 am »
More videos starting to pop up with shipping in progress

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #431 on: September 30, 2020, 03:21:57 pm »
Note how the white border is overlaid on top of the gameplay area, essentially cutting off the screen.  This is why the sinden guns are a dead end.... it's a gross hack to have to insert a white border around, excuse me, ON TOP OF fullscreen games..... we are very fortunate that mame and model 2 allow some better ways to do it, but nobody should be relying on a hack to get a +$200 gun to work. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #432 on: September 30, 2020, 04:26:32 pm »
Note how the white border is overlaid on top of the gameplay area, essentially cutting off the screen.  This is why the sinden guns are a dead end.... it's a gross hack to have to insert a white border around, excuse me, ON TOP OF fullscreen games..... we are very fortunate that mame and model 2 allow some better ways to do it, but nobody should be relying on a hack to get a +$200 gun to work.
I disagree, I am happy to sacrifice a measley 2% of my screen (yes my border is normally set to 1% now I have it tuned in) so I can have perfect LOS shooting capability.
There is hardly anything in those areas anyways and I wont loose sleep over having a few pixels cropped off.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #433 on: September 30, 2020, 04:35:30 pm »
Yeah just inconsequential things like the hud........ you've done drunk the kool aid man, this system is doa. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #434 on: September 30, 2020, 04:37:55 pm »
It really does not interfere once its slimmed down howard.
ETAs video there used the default border which admittedly is very thick and unless you are playing in a very bright room is not required at all.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #435 on: September 30, 2020, 05:16:09 pm »
Yeah, I just looked at that last video. It’s a shame that the white border has to be overlaid on the game instead of surrounding it. Especially the way it was cutting off some of the UI on some of the games.

Still, it looks like it works. That’s the important thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:14:16 pm
« Reply #436 on: September 30, 2020, 07:08:43 pm »
Would it work to outline the monitor with EL tape instead?  IR LED strips all the way around would be more ideal, but i imagine that would require major changes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #437 on: October 01, 2020, 12:21:10 am »
Would it work to outline the monitor with EL tape instead?  IR LED strips all the way around would be more ideal, but i imagine that would require major changes.

I would say if that worked Andy would have showed that already as his current solution is pretty damn hackish.  I knew as soon as we got real vids by real users the other shoe would drop. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #438 on: October 01, 2020, 01:04:24 am »
Someone is testing that atm I believe.
The gun just needs to see a clear border it does not really matter ehat the border is so you could probably put tape around your monitor or something.

The issue is when you go to change aspect ratio because the border needs to mate the aspect ratio.

Long term I think the solution will be to basically window the game inside the border.
Some emus can do this allready no problem others cant.
The Tekno Parrot devs are fully behind the project and are currently working to incorporate the sinden into all the lightgun games it supports.

Howard maybe you could get involved and help with the windowing idea if it bothers you that much?

I told you guys way back at the start this was a really good workable solution but Andy has been going it alone for however long.

The amount of support its gained the last month has been amazing (just check the backers of it!)

He did what he promised now hopefully the community can perfect the solution.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #439 on: October 01, 2020, 01:15:54 am »
As a side note there is also one other dev working on improving his emu with sinden support.

Ime not allowed to say which atm as the dev has asked to keep it secret but ile say its a popular one.