Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!  (Read 117495 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!
« Reply #280 on: August 06, 2020, 03:36:19 am »
Andy has designed some especially.
You can add them to your order via kickstarter or indiegogo I think?

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #281 on: August 06, 2020, 09:57:32 am »
Does anyone know where I can get two holsters for this gun?
From the Sinden Indiegogo page, click on perk and the holsters will show up.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2020, 12:20:31 am »
Thanks for the suggestion but I have two LCD TopGuns and I was hoping they would fit as they look similar in size.

Guess I will have to make the holsters out of leather.    :cheers:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2020, 03:32:16 am »
Thanks for the suggestion but I have two LCD TopGuns and I was hoping they would fit as they look similar in size.

Guess I will have to make the holsters out of leather.    :cheers:

Think the Sindens are larger so prob wouldnt fit.
You could try the standard Happ style holsters, They take a Beretta sized pistol fine.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2020, 08:21:37 am »
I will give them a try.  Thanks

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2020, 12:13:37 pm »
Just put in my order for two without recoil. I may try to add recoil later...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2020, 06:28:53 am »
Had my dispatch notification for my sinden guns today :)
Should have them early next week.

Excitement levels rising rapidly :D

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2020, 08:41:21 am »

Did you get something besides the backer email update?  I opted in the beta for shipping and my backer number is under 20 for two non-recoil guns so I should be in this first batch.  But I am in the US so I'll have to wait for them to cross the Atlantic.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2020, 09:52:32 am »

Did you get something besides the backer email update?  I opted in the beta for shipping and my backer number is under 20 for two non-recoil guns so I should be in this first batch.  But I am in the US so I'll have to wait for them to cross the Atlantic.

Yeah I got a email from Royal mail (our postal service in the UK) saying it had been shipped.

Obv you being international will prob be going via air mail or somthing.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:57 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2020, 10:42:34 am »
Titch has been sucking this dude off publicly for 2 years, so it’s only fair he’s first in line.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 05:26:02 pm
« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2020, 11:03:16 am »
This has to be the best time for Lightgun fans in a LONG time.

Time Crisis 5 Arcade playable with Lightgun on PC
RPCS3 Move games (inlcuding Time Crisis Razing Storm, Time Crisis 4, Resident Evil Chronicles and more) playable with Lightgun on PC
Sinden gun starting to ship.

BTW, I live in U.S. and never pre-ordered one. How much would one cost and where can I buy it? thanks.

Edit: nm found this on the site

Now taking new orders with a target delivery date of November:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-sinden-lightgun/

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2020, 11:11:35 am »
Titch has been sucking this dude off publicly for 2 years, so it’s only fair he’s first in line.
I’m pretty much just a lurker here, I grew up in arcades in the mid 80s to late 90s and I just enjoy seeing all the builds, discussion of games, and dreams of having my own build.

I never really understood all the negativity on this, it’s such a small space to be in and rarely do you see new products get done right.

What’s wrong with the Sinden? It was built from the ground up by an enthusiast that had the actual end user in mind, it isn’t being built by a huge company that is just crapping them out without a care in the world.

The guy actually came through and the Kickstarter was a success, and he’s actually shipped over 100 units this past week, something I’ve heard is a rarity with Kickstarters.

Why only a hundred? because he wants to gauge the whole shipping process and get feedback to make sure there are no issues with cross border shipping, customs, quality issues reported by end users, etc, isn’t that commendable?

It’s the first Kickstarter I’ve ever participated in (well indiegogo) and it blows me away that this guy takes the time to respond to every user’s comments, he’s personally answered my emails too.

I realize I shouldn’t take the bait by engaging with your comments, I know you’re a veteran here. I was just wondering how you think this should have been managed differently, honestly.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2020, 12:25:14 pm »

Or more likely because I was backer number 4.....

I really was not dropping a sales pitch when I said I believed in the project.
I invested my hard earned money same as everyone else, Same risk for the same reward.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:40:37 pm by Titchgamer »

lllll44

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2024, 06:57:43 pm
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2020, 02:01:25 pm »
Congrats to andy! he is really a nice smart guy.
cant wait for reviews next week!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:57 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2020, 03:01:21 pm »
Yes, looking forward to some reviews. Please manage to get off the couch and play the games properly.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2020, 05:33:01 pm »
As extremely happy as I am to see the dang thing actually shipping that price is going to kill it.  I think $99 is about the limit the average joe will pay for an accessory and considering how cheap light guns were in the past (even though I understand the reason for the price increase) it's going to throw a lot of people off.  I hope they end up working well though as it'll be another option... and options are good. 

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!
« Reply #296 on: September 05, 2020, 05:51:13 pm »
As extremely happy as I am to see the dang thing actually shipping that price is going to kill it.  I think $99 is about the limit the average joe will pay for an accessory and considering how cheap light guns were in the past (even though I understand the reason for the price increase) it's going to throw a lot of people off.  I hope they end up working well though as it'll be another option... and options are good.

His combined Kickstarter and indiegogo orders are sitting at over 1 million usd from almost 5500 backers, obviously we won’t see this sitting on a shelve in toys r us but it’s obviously proven that it won’t prevent the light gun enthusiast from purchasing it.

The shipping price was not cheap but it wasn’t excessive, $30GBP to the USA/Canada for 2x recoil units + holsters.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #297 on: September 05, 2020, 06:14:50 pm »
My only concern is will it ever be available to where if someone like me wants one, they can order it and get it in a week vs. "order now and maybe get it in November" I am not big on preorders where you don't know when you're going to get something.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #298 on: September 05, 2020, 08:48:45 pm »

His combined Kickstarter and indiegogo orders are sitting at over 1 million usd from almost 5500 backers, obviously we won’t see this sitting on a shelve in toys r us but it’s obviously proven that it won’t prevent the light gun enthusiast from purchasing it.

The shipping price was not cheap but it wasn’t excessive, $30GBP to the USA/Canada for 2x recoil units + holsters.

Well that's the thing..... only 5500 backers.  Those were the hardcore guys so will anyone else be willing to fork over that much.  Getting the gun shipped to the backers is one thing, having enough demand so that it's still profitable to keep it in production and thus like Jay is saying.... you can just buy one whenever.... is another.  I know you were half joking, but ultimately getting it in big box stores would help it, or at least some version of it.  I would give the sim steering wheel as an example.  Yes there are some ridiculous, very expensive kits available from thrustmaster and logitech.  The thing is they both have a selection of low end wheels at your local Walmart or whatever and those sales help keep the lights on so they can work on the more niche products. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2020, 02:37:04 am »
You guys are forgetting he also licensed out the tech to polymega.
Now dont get me wrong I am highly sceptical of polymega but the point is there is more than one way to sell a light gun ;)

I doubt you will ever see these on the shelves of Smiths or whatever but theres no reason he couldn't set up a E-shop to sell them direct without the pre order.

This is just the beginning for him, He has gone from having a idea with a home built prototype with total scepticism (even from me to start) to mass producing it and having over a million in sales.

I dont know where he plans to go with this now but I really hope it takes off for him and earns him some money.

Hes a nice dude with his heart at the centre of the lightgun community.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
« Reply #300 on: September 06, 2020, 09:43:15 am »
Titch, when you test please also test how close you can be to the screen and still have accurate tracking.

That’s one feature of the Aimtraks that annoys the sh*t out of me.

“Oh wait guys, we selected a lightgun game. Let’s move back 4-6 feet so we get somewhat accurate tracking!!” 🙄

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!
« Reply #301 on: September 06, 2020, 10:31:41 am »
You guys are forgetting he also licensed out the tech to polymega.
Now dont get me wrong I am highly sceptical of polymega but the point is there is more than one way to sell a light gun ;)

I doubt you will ever see these on the shelves of Smiths or whatever but theres no reason he couldn't set up a E-shop to sell them direct without the pre order.

This is just the beginning for him, He has gone from having a idea with a home built prototype with total scepticism (even from me to start) to mass producing it and having over a million in sales.

I dont know where he plans to go with this now but I really hope it takes off for him and earns him some money.

Hes a nice dude with his heart at the centre of the lightgun community.
I was going to mention that, I was trying to find the name of that company, let’s not forget the A1UP deal, but I have no idea what monetary value those type of deals have.

I think he’s smart to grow his business slowly, what’s the rush, look what he’s been able to do with word of mouth only, too big too fast has ruined many small companies.

You would think that eventually he would find local distribution in various countries, or maybe he’ll just get bought out soon enough once he gets the attention of a larger game maker, I think the AimTrak’s were too niche for that, too finicky, the Sinden could work because it’s more of a set it and forget it type device, it just works.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:33:58 am by Rockstead »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: September 06, 2020, 10:53:41 am »
Titch, when you test please also test how close you can be to the screen and still have accurate tracking.

That’s one feature of the Aimtraks that annoys the sh*t out of me.

“Oh wait guys, we selected a lightgun game. Let’s move back 4-6 feet so we get somewhat accurate tracking!!” 🙄

It depends on the screen size, The bigger the screen the further back you have to be.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #303 on: September 06, 2020, 11:05:08 pm »
Well I expect the polymega to be as lasting and influential as the ouya, so that deal really means nothing imho.  The arcade1up deal might actually be more fruitful. To answer the asked question, the rush is that if other companies see this gun making money, they'll come out with their own versions.  Except for rare timeless exceptions, every product, especially a tech product, has an expiration date.  Our goal as an end user should be to see this gun in production for as long as possible.... so it'll be supported and get regular driver updates, ect. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #304 on: September 07, 2020, 02:03:21 am »
Well I expect the polymega to be as lasting and influential as the ouya, so that deal really means nothing imho.  The arcade1up deal might actually be more fruitful. To answer the asked question, the rush is that if other companies see this gun making money, they'll come out with their own versions.  Except for rare timeless exceptions, every product, especially a tech product, has an expiration date.  Our goal as an end user should be to see this gun in production for as long as possible.... so it'll be supported and get regular driver updates, ect.

Andy wants to keep it updated, That was a day 1 goal for him.
He wants to make it compatible with real hardware where possible also using adapters etc.
I seem to recall hes had some success getting it running with PS1.

Thats obviously a secondary thing to the main release.

I totally agree about polymega, But I was just using it as an example.
I would hope he got some money from them up front for licensing or somthing as I cant see it doing any good if it ever actually gets released.
The A1up deal may be more lucrative.

I think the biggest risk to the project is the Chinese to be honest, We all know what they are like for cloning stuff of this nature and other than the PCB I believe its off the shelf parts.

Hopfully he has implemented some sort of copy protection/authentification type thing in the software to slow them down a bit.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: September 07, 2020, 07:28:06 am »

Andy wants to keep it updated, That was a day 1 goal for him.
He wants to make it compatible with real hardware where possible also using adapters etc.
I seem to recall hes had some success getting it running with PS1.

Thats obviously a secondary thing to the main release.

I totally agree about polymega, But I was just using it as an example.
I would hope he got some money from them up front for licensing or somthing as I cant see it doing any good if it ever actually gets released.
The A1up deal may be more lucrative.

I think the biggest risk to the project is the Chinese to be honest, We all know what they are like for cloning stuff of this nature and other than the PCB I believe its off the shelf parts.

Hopfully he has implemented some sort of copy protection/authentification type thing in the software to slow them down a bit.
The AimTrak’s have been selling for years, I wasn’t aware of any clones being sold, were there?

I think Sinden’s main base of users are unhappy AimTrak users that are looking forward to a working gun.

Even now you would be shocked to see how much AimTrak’s are selling on eBay due to low availability, which tells me that there is so much demand out there.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: September 07, 2020, 09:03:13 am »
Hmm not sure about cloned aim traks.
I believe the act labs guns were the same but never owned one so not sure.
Either way I am not really surprised they are still selling well, But I didnt know there was a shortage of them.

As for the Sinden customer base, Yes I am sure there are many AT owners in the list, But I think the demand from the general public is pretty high on this one.

lllll44

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2024, 06:57:43 pm
« Reply #307 on: September 07, 2020, 01:10:01 pm »
Come on people (who got the gun today )...show us the goods in youtube:)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #308 on: September 07, 2020, 01:31:10 pm »
Well I am home and just spent the last 3 hours playing light gun games in Mame :D

I am still tinkering with settings etc trying to thin down the border.
Just to start with I started with the default border just to get up and running which is about 1cm on my screen, But I have got it down much thinner now.
I found that it was not picking up the border properly to start with when I thinned out the border, But with some tinkering I figured out it was because my TV is LED and it had a backlight setting set to eco (70%) When I whacked that up it picked up the thinner border no problem.
There are settings in the app to adjust brightness etc so I will tinker with them at another point to see if I can get the same effect with them.

Calibration is a 1 time thing set and forget (video of moving positions height and side to side to follow in next post).

But I have just had a full playthrough of the first "easy" stage of Point Blank without crosshairs and a quick blast on Time Crisis again of course with out cross hairs with no issues getting just past the first boss.

I am taking a break now for some food and to let my ribs rest (in a spot of pain atm which really aint helping!)

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #309 on: September 07, 2020, 01:47:14 pm »
Woohoo! Great to hear.  Have a couple of those beverages I see by the TV and I'm sure the ribs will feel better. 

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #310 on: September 07, 2020, 01:54:43 pm »
Well I am home and just spent the last 3 hours playing light gun games in Mame :D

Just to start with I started with the default border just to get up and running which is about 1cm on my screen, But I have got it down much thinner now.
I found that it was not picking up the border properly to start with when I thinned out the border, But with some tinkering I figured out it was because my TV is LED and it had a backlight setting set to eco (70%) When I whacked that up it picked up the thinner border no problem.
There are settings in the app to adjust brightness etc so I will tinker with them at another point to see if I can get the same effect with them.

Calibration is a 1 time thing set and forget (video of moving positions height and side to side to follow in next post).

But I have just had a full playthrough of the first "easy" stage of Point Blank without crosshairs and a quick blast on Time Crisis again of course with out cross hairs with no issues getting just past the first boss.

I am taking a break now for some food and to let my ribs rest (in a spot of pain atm which really aint helping!)
Just saw your post on Mame Arcade Cabinet Builders FB group, way too many Andy’s when talking about light guns :)

Ok so i dont want to wait for the full review, comment quickly on accuracy, lag, placement.

I hope you are getting someone over and do the same thing with dual guns!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: September 07, 2020, 01:59:35 pm »

Just saw your post on Mame Arcade Cabinet Builders FB group, way too many Andy’s when talking about light guns :)

Ok so i dont want to wait for the full review, comment quickly on accuracy, lag, placement.

I hope you are getting someone over and do the same thing with dual guns!

I only have the 1 gun atm so cant do any 2 player yet but I have a second one coming.
Quick comments though accuracy 100% at all heights and side motion I tested (YT still processing video LOL), Lag none that I have noticed, Shot placement 100% once I dialed the settings in.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #312 on: September 07, 2020, 02:17:58 pm »
Does it simulate a mouse or other?

I already have 180 Lightgun games in Launchbox that simulate a mouse with my EMS Top Gun 3, I would hate to start over.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #313 on: September 07, 2020, 02:22:29 pm »
I already have an EMS Top Gun 3 but for those that don't, they're selling for more on Ebay than a Sinden costs. The only advantage it has is it's wireless but there are issues such as mouse cursor getting stuck even if the gun is off.  I still want a Sinden though even though I could just keep the EMS Top Gun 3 and it would be mostly fine.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:27:06 pm by Jayinem »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #314 on: September 07, 2020, 02:34:42 pm »

I already have 180 Lightgun games in Launchbox that simulate a mouse with my EMS Top Gun 3, I would hate to start over.

Yeah it works as a mouse.

And I have no idea why the topgun 3 is expensive, they are ass IMO.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #315 on: September 07, 2020, 02:36:59 pm »

The hard part is putting the leads in the correct place and calibrating correctly. If you do that they're not that bad. Not worth more than Sinden though ever.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #316 on: September 07, 2020, 02:38:15 pm »

The hard part is putting the leads in the correct place and calibrating correctly. If you do that they're not that bad. Not worth more than Sinden though ever.

I just found I was constantly recalibrating them.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #317 on: September 07, 2020, 02:40:16 pm »
OK YT finally finished its processing.

Just note the mouse only moves at the speed its set at in windows so its not lagging occasionally its just my mouse speed not keeping up lol

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2020, 02:43:16 pm »
Is the usb cord pretty long that comes with it?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2020, 02:46:21 pm »
Is the usb cord pretty long that comes with it?

Its about 5m.