Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!  (Read 116143 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2019, 02:04:18 am »
I freaking hate that excuse for lack of communication. I seriously doubt he is working more hours than I do and I still have time to impart my vast wisdom and knowledge on you guys. I see that excuse all of the time with this hobby. It takes very little time to respond to people. Especially the people like you who gave him money.

What I meant was dont expect to see him on here answering questions.
Hes still pretty active on his main info accounts especially the KS one which is obv the main one.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2019, 02:18:50 am »
Sorry. I have seen so many of these things go south after funding was secured. Like I said before, I hope he delivers on his promises.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2019, 02:20:41 am »
This is the latest update for those not on the KS:

“Hi Everyone

It's been a very busy month since the finish of the Kickstarter.

It actually took almost 3 weeks for the money to come through but thankfully it finally did!

I've had meetings with the UK based injection moulding company that have gone really well.  We went through the latest design and agreed a set of revisions for my 3D designer that will increase the quality of the mould and these are being worked on now.

The recoil circuit prototype has been successfully completed and the PCB version is now being worked on.  I'm looking forward to testing this in a few weeks inside the design prototype.

I've got a cool update with the Sinden Lightgun software, it now supports "gangsta" mode :-)  This is where you hold the lightgun sideways.  It's a completely unnecessary yet necessary feature!”

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2019, 07:49:04 am »
Watching this video I noticed another company is bringing out something that sound eerily similar to the Sinden Light gun. Hope they didn't rip him off...

Take a look the lightgun part starts around 19:07

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2019, 07:51:51 am »
Watching this video I noticed another company is bringing out something that sound eerily similar to the Sinden Light gun. Hope they didn't rip him off...

Take a look the lightgun part starts around 19:07

It is Sindens tech, Hes licensed them to use it with the polymega but they are producing the guns.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2019, 07:55:26 am »
Oh I didn't realize he was doing that. Is he still producing a standalone gun?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2019, 07:57:13 am »
Oh I didn't realize he was doing that. Is he still producing a standalone gun?

Yeah absolutely.

I think it all feeds into his dream of resurrecting light gun games and I would guess some more mullah for him to get his gun off the ground.

There was a update from him a while ago about it, ile try and find it for you :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2019, 07:58:36 am »
Here ya go:

“Separately the company behind the upcoming Polymega console have been in touch and we have agreed a partnership to get the Sinden Lightgun working on their console.  It's a multi system emulation console that works with original game cartridges and CDs and includes PS1, Saturn and NES support plus others.  I'm quite excited about the potential of the combination because those systems have such great lightgun games. 

We have agreed that they will use the same hardware and software being developed for the Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter but they will manufacture it themselves in their own custom designed shell.  So it won't create a distraction from my most important project which is delivering the Sinden Lightgun to all you guys.

Best regards

Andy”

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2019, 07:14:42 am »
Titchgamer,

Hey would you be able to confirm if the Sinden would fit perfectly in an AimTrak light gun holster?

Since you had hands on, do you prefer the look and feel of the Sinden compared to the AimTrak?

Any mention of what Colors it will be available in? Classic red / blue option available?

Thanks

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2019, 07:23:43 am »
Titchgamer,

Hey would you be able to confirm if the Sinden would fit perfectly in an AimTrak light gun holster?

Since you had hands on, do you prefer the look and feel of the Sinden compared to the AimTrak?

Any mention of what Colors it will be available in? Classic red / blue option available?

Thanks

Afraid I dont know about the holster, If memory serves well I *think* it would of been a little to big.
But I may be wrong! What I do know is Andy was looking into a holster solution for it.

Feel wise IMO it felt lovely! Nice size grip, good balance and pointed well.
I had hands on a prototype though that had been 3D printed so I would expect the production model to be slightly different.
I did make a few suggestions to him for improvement related to the sights which he agreed with and so I believe changed for the production run.

Compared to the AT it felt more comfortable to hold and less plasticy but I think that was mainly due to the design of the grip as it was 3D printed like I mentioned lol.

Colours He has not set yet as I am aware but I know he wants to offer it in the basics IE Red, Blue and Black.
But obviously some countries have specific regulations regarding that so he will have to comply.

odenmc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2019, 04:25:22 am
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2019, 03:38:02 am »
Too bad, I found out about this project late. I find the project impressive and I would certainly have loved to participate.

Could any backer ask Andy if he plans to release the guns for sale once he has finished delivering all the backers?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2019, 04:03:36 am »
Too bad, I found out about this project late. I find the project impressive and I would certainly have loved to participate.

Could any backer ask Andy if he plans to release the guns for sale once he has finished delivering all the backers?

That is his intention yes.

odenmc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2019, 05:49:44 am »
Fantastic :D

All that's left is to wait ^^

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2019, 08:02:18 am »

Any indication of when Kickstarter orders will ship and when it will be available for the general public?

Andy has to know these dates if he signed a licensing agreement with Polymega.

I’ve got my unopened AimTrak set with recoil that I’m debating on selling. I spoke with Andy from Ultimarc and he thinks the Sinden still requires calibration but I didn’t see that in the videos.

If I were Andy (Ultimarc) I would have considered a licensing deal as he has the brand recognition and the Sinden does appear to be vastly superior outside the requirement for the border which is a small price to pay in my opinion.

I tried getting feedback and looking at many past posts on the AimTrak and general observation seems to be that you need to calibrate for every player and every standing position and even then the people that say it works well tend to use crosshairs, so I think it then becomes a perception that it is accurate vs those that don’t use crosshairs seem to have a lot more negative feedback.

I choose white border over crosshairs.

Has Andy (Ultimarc) addressed the Sinden at all, would be nice to know if he has something up his sleeve to compete but I’m guessing the tech is completely different.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:05:12 am by Rockstead »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2019, 09:02:12 am »

Any indication of when Kickstarter orders will ship and when it will be available for the general public?

Andy has to know these dates if he signed a licensing agreement with Polymega.

I’ve got my unopened AimTrak set with recoil that I’m debating on selling. I spoke with Andy from Ultimarc and he thinks the Sinden still requires calibration but I didn’t see that in the videos.

If I were Andy (Ultimarc) I would have considered a licensing deal as he has the brand recognition and the Sinden does appear to be vastly superior outside the requirement for the border which is a small price to pay in my opinion.

I tried getting feedback and looking at many past posts on the AimTrak and general observation seems to be that you need to calibrate for every player and every standing position and even then the people that say it works well tend to use crosshairs, so I think it then becomes a perception that it is accurate vs those that don’t use crosshairs seem to have a lot more negative feedback.

I choose white border over crosshairs.

Has Andy (Ultimarc) addressed the Sinden at all, would be nice to know if he has something up his sleeve to compete but I’m guessing the tech is completely different.

To many Andy's involved with this  :lol :lol

So anyways to try and answer your questions:

The release to the general public will only be after the kickstarter pledges have been completed, The initial KS completion date is October, I have no idea how close Andy is to achieving this but thats all the info available at the moment.

As for Polymega thats a whole different kettle of fish and has no bareing on the KS or after sales as far as I am aware.

The sindens do not need calibrating per se. They need to be configured the first time they are used same as any other but after the inital set up they do not need to me adjusted again unless you change something or want to.

They are totally different technology to the Aim Trak gun from the other Andy. I am not sure if Sinden approached Ultimarc at all or the other way around but frankly its between them :p

Hope that answers some questions as best as I know :)

odenmc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2019, 04:17:24 am »
Until today I thought it was the same person  :lol :lol

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2019, 04:56:38 am »
Until today I thought it was the same person  :lol :lol

Nope very different people lol

ryoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2022, 06:43:46 am
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2019, 06:38:10 pm »
I try to find any news about the progress of this project but i don't know where to look at. Whats is the status of the production of the gun.  Updates or dates anything.  There is no videos on the sinden YouTube  channel since very long Will be nice to see a fully functional gun with recoil and dpad  Or at least  a 3d render  of the final shell of the gun.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:43:30 pm by ryoken »

lllll44

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 07:58:49 pm
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2019, 03:37:34 pm »
Just follow his site blogs, he update there....also and im sure next month we will have far more updates and new videos, cause its gonna release in october.
only 2 months to wait:)

lightgungamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2020, 02:43:28 am
  • I love playing Light Gun Games
    • LightgunGame.com
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2019, 05:07:48 am »
Andy released a new update yesterday on the kickstarter. It sounds like its all progressing nicely:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sindenlightgun/the-sinden-lightgun/posts/2588853
https://LightGunGamer.com - every Lightgun game and how to play them
Dolphin Emulator

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2019, 06:13:41 am »
Andy released a new update yesterday on the kickstarter. It sounds like its all progressing nicely:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sindenlightgun/the-sinden-lightgun/posts/2588853

Can you copy / paste, the update is only available to backers.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2019, 06:15:46 am »
Here ya go:

Hi Everyone

Another month of steady progress.  The production shell is finally ready!  It is being sent off for a SLS 3D print for physical testing.  This is the version that supports all the production PCBs, camera, buttons, trigger mechanism, recoil solenoid, cable, pump action etc etc.  It's been finalised with input from the injection moulding company to ensure compatability and high quality.

The design has come out incredibly similar to the Kickstarter prototype but a little bit sleaker.  This stage took longer than I hoped but the long term quality of the project rests entirely on this so needed to get it right.  I'll be demonstrating it in my next update.  The injection moulding company is a local based company with a quick turn around so I'm expecting this to move quite quick when I sign off.  I'll be able to confirm the dimensions with you all at this point.

So lots of other small things to update on, I'm listing these because I know a lot of you are interested in some of the finer details to delivering something like this.

USB identity, so I now have a USB id (known as a VID/PID) that I can use to identify the Sinden Lightgun and give it a custom name.  This should mean the device appears to your computer as something similar to "SindenLightgun" in device manager.  Windows 10 and Linux (including Pi) shouldn't actually need any hardware drivers other than running the Sinden Lightgun application. 

EMC testing, so I've lined this up.  It is a requirement for achieving  US FCC and Europe CE mark certification.  They test your device in a special chamber to detect whether it outputs too much electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves.  I'm reasonably confident the PCBs will be fine however I am interested in whether the recoil solenoid will have an effect.  I'm sure any issue is resolvable but it would be nice to just pass first time!

Packaging, I've been experimenting with different packages, the main priority is to be safely delivered.  Luckily the Sinden Lightgun is pretty sturdy but it's surely going to take a battering travelling across the world.  I've got a packaging method I'm happy with now.

Shipping, this is positive as it looks like the charges should come in line with predictions and actually the delivery timelines are reasonably fast.  My biggest concern is going to be charges for parcels that can't be delivered.  This is why I'm leaving the backer survey to the last minute to make sure the addresses are as accurate as possible.  I'm not sure if I said before but you will be able to choose your lightgun colours in the survey too, subject to your country's laws.  Standard colours are expected to be black/dark grey,blue,red and orange.  Blue and red is quite a classic setup for an arcade machine.

Linux software, I've put a lot more effort into getting this polished.  It should improve performance on the Pi and I've also now validated it working well on x86 systems.  When I have more time I will experiment with some of the x86 RetroPie/Retroarch builds.

The new version of Corpse Killer was released on Steam.  It did work with the Sinden Lightgun which is good, I'm hoping to do a video soon.  To be honest the gameplay was a bit disappointing and didn't have the charm of something like Mad Dog McCree.  Although I never played it in the past so maybe I'm just lacking that connection.

On another note for the first time on the project I have managed to build up a bit of a backlog of emails, I do like responding in detail as I'm interested in all the different setups you all have and what games are your favourite.  So apologies if you have had a slow reply or no reply at all, I am getting through them slowly.

Finally in terms of delivery I am still planning to start shipping units in October but have now eaten away most of my time contingency.  Similar to my previous updates I don't have any major blockers but just need to keep completing the milestones.

Best regards

Andy

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2019, 07:22:28 am »
Thanks for the update, now ask Andy to work on a  quality holster before someone beats him to market.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2019, 07:24:59 am »
Thanks for the update, now ask Andy to work on a  quality holster before someone beats him to market.

Hes already on that one I believe.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2019, 07:06:28 am »
Hi good day.  Is there any updates about the sindengun ?the website from sinden is down at this moment... and kickstarter only show updates to backers since is more than 1 month since the last post here.  Wonder how is going.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2019, 07:11:49 am »
Hi good day.  Is there any updates about the sindengun ?the website from sinden is down at this moment... and kickstarter only show updates to backers since is more than 1 month since the last post here.  Wonder how is going.

No further update yet, I would expect he will post one in the coming days.
I did have a email from him a few weeks ago and he said everything was going well so hopefully still on target.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2019, 08:37:10 am »
Thanks for the info.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2019, 12:40:52 pm »
Andy has posted a official update today.
Its way to long for me to copy and paste on my phone but to summarise it:

Delivery has been put back until atleast November due to changes being required to the case mould.
He is hoping this one will be the last change and then he can go full production.

The button D pad (for lack of a better description) will be a actual + shape now instead of buttons.

He mentioned some problems with sourcing components but not a big problem as he is now bulk buying them in advance rather than waiting for the ones he has picked to go out of stock again.

He has now fully tested the recoil and is really happy with how much kick it has got considering it is powered by the USB.

He has also improved the firmware a little and now has up to 20 customiseable inputs which using the off screen feature similar to the aim trak.

Ie aiming off screen gives a shift key effect.
He is hoping to expand this by giving the ability to have a different shift effect depending on which side of the screen you aim off but thats future stuff.

Think that about sums it up.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2019, 10:24:33 am »
Shipping push back is pretty much a given in any Kickstarter.  No surprise to me.

Grip in the 3d render looks very blocky with very little radius on the corners.  The 3d printed prototype looks better but hard to tell from the angle and lighting.  Grip looks very much like a Glock 17 gen 3 with the small finger grooves in the grip  :(.  I shoot Glocks and the finger grooves have always been a point that a significant minority of users will hate and most will not care much either way.  It's nearly impossible to get something with finger grooves to fit as wide a range of hand sizes and shapes as a grip without.  Even Glock figured out to remove the finger grooves in gen 4 and later models.  I was in the don't care camp for a long time until I tried a Glock without the grooves - ground off the grooves from my own pistol that night.  Hopefully the Sinden mold with be solid through the finger grooves so I can grind those off too.  Other than that, the gun shell is looking good. 

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:10:04 am
« Reply #149 on: September 15, 2019, 02:27:46 am »
I will buy one for sure
Recoil is a must for me , accuracy pinpoint
I want to test it out on Those ALG games as i tried to disable the crosshair and with the aimtrak it didnt register those shots well
Other games it works well though

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2019, 01:41:39 pm »
I will buy one for sure
Recoil is a must for me , accuracy pinpoint
I want to test it out on Those ALG games as i tried to disable the crosshair and with the aimtrak it didnt register those shots well
Other games it works well though

You should talk to Andy from Ultimarc in this thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=160837.new;topicseen#new

Andy has said the following in the below conversation regarding people playing without crosshairs, he comes off as being very responsive to customers and I would be very curious if he can solve this for you and what the problem was.

“Quote from: Rockstead on August 09, 2019, 07:20:42 am

Typically when I see an Aimtrak owner talk about the gun in a positive way, it’s because they are using crosshairs and now have a perception that it is accurate, while those without crosshairs seem to be the most frustrated.”

From Andy:

“We do not receive that type of feedback. Once calibrated owners are generally not frustrated at all as far as we hear.

There are sometimes hurdles in getting calibrated but all are simple to overcome by reading through the troubleshooting steps on our site.”

jubiladoatope

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2020, 12:01:37 pm
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »
Andy has posted a official update today.
Its way to long for me to copy and paste on my phone but to summarise it:

Delivery has been put back until atleast November due to changes being required to the case mould.
He is hoping this one will be the last change and then he can go full production.

The button D pad (for lack of a better description) will be a actual + shape now instead of buttons.

He mentioned some problems with sourcing components but not a big problem as he is now bulk buying them in advance rather than waiting for the ones he has picked to go out of stock again.

He has now fully tested the recoil and is really happy with how much kick it has got considering it is powered by the USB.

He has also improved the firmware a little and now has up to 20 customiseable inputs which using the off screen feature similar to the aim trak.

Ie aiming off screen gives a shift key effect.
He is hoping to expand this by giving the ability to have a different shift effect depending on which side of the screen you aim off but thats future stuff.

Think that about sums it up.
Hi Titchgamer, could you please post the latest update?,thanks in advance  ;D

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2019, 01:44:35 pm »
I hope that we will eventually be offered a choice of shells and recoil style for these guns. Obviously the first priority for most is to get a gun controller that genuinely works well on flat screens. But, I also see it as an opportunity for them to fix some of the previous mistakes with home gun cons.

We can buy any number of arcade-like racing wheels with force feedback in a range of prices. Home light guns, on the other hand, never really caught up with the arcades. We are always told it would just be too expensive to make it realistic or arcade-quality. I would like the option of spending a little extra to get something better. The mini Uzi aimtrak thread of this site would be a good place to start.

I might even consider switching from my real light guns if there was an accurate full auto Sinden mini Uzi.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2019, 01:48:21 pm »
Latest update:

Hi Everyone

Some good movements with production to update with.  I had a few more forwards and backwards with the shell but I'm pleased to say that I've submitted the final shell designs to the injection moulding company.  The lead time for the mould and samples is 4 weeks so I'm expecting to have an injection moulded shell in time for next month's update.  What I had to do was focus on the more tricky areas and just get a 3D print of those section, getting a full SLS shell for £300 was expensive and slow!  Using high resolution SLA it was actually a more accurate print which helped with component fitting and I was really impressed with the quality.  It doesn't even look like a 3D print, picture below:

In my last update I mentioned the concern of crucial components going out of stock and taking months to come back so I took action and I've ordered the components I felt were important and were difficult to substitute.  This is exciting as it is the real start of production.  So far I have:

5000 micro switches (the ones with a lever hinge on them), one for the trigger and one for the pump action.  1500 capacitors for the recoil.  1500 solenoids for the recoil.  1000 camera modules due to arrive this week and will order 1500 more cameras on successful delivery to me (this was an expensive outlay and I wanted to split the risk!).

This is what 1500 capacitors looks like:

The plan is to make 2000 lightguns for the Kickstarter backers including 1000 with recoil.  With these components I'm making sure don't run out, I've used my own investment to buy extra.  This way if I take additional orders for Kickstarter backers or future customers I won't find that I can't make the product at that time.

The PCBs have also had some forwards and backwards.  The solenoid PCB prototype was completed as per the previous update but it required an additional change to the main PCB to work (a hardware communications chip instead of using software).  So I was able to test it inside the shell for performance but not inside the shell using a game.  This was because I need an updated main PCB with this chip which I don't have the production prototype of yet.  We didn't want to submit the final PCBs until the shell was complete in case it needed modifications, which it did.  Now the shell is confirmed it means we can get the final version of the PCB ordered too and actually move on with the production.  I should have significant updates on the PCBs next time too.

In the meantime I've filmed a video showing the recoil solenoid in action in the prototype shell.  So what is being demonstrated is the near final prototype shell with the production solenoid in and it is being powered by the production capacitor.  HOWEVER the capacitor is being powered by an external power supply and not the USB and it is not using the recoil PCB, it is just responding to the physical trigger switch.  The strength of the recoil will be the same in the production version although the re-fire rate/strength (how soon it can re-fire / how powerful the re-fire is) may be different.  In the video I didn't use offscreen reload as it fires the recoil with this setup which is annoying.  The recoil PCB will have full control over when it should fire and will link to the game software being used.  Therefore it won't fire when you don't want it to.  I'm using the side button to reload which is the quieter click you can hear after the recoil.  I'm playing a personal favourite the original arcade House Of The Dead in the Model2 emulator.  I guess the video doesn't really show too much because you can't see the recoil as it's more a touch thing than a visible thing but it was great fun playing and the solenoid does give an excellent recoil effect :-)

project video thumbnail  PLAY
So you may have seen in gaming news recently that Sega has commissioned a Polish company to remake the first 2 House Of The Dead games.  It's not clear exactly what the plans are but I can assure you if it comes to PC then the Sinden Lightgun will support it.  This is great news for the wider scope of the project where the aim is to contribute to the restoration of the Lightgun genre.  Of course Sinden Lightgun backers can already play the original Arcade and Console versions of House Of The Dead 1/2/3/4 and Overkill.  Here is a new video playing House Of The Dead Overkill from Steam on PC.  It's an excellent game and very fun to play, the dialog throughout is really funny.

Other good Lightgun progress is that Transformers Human Alliance is now playable on Teknoparrot free version.  I had a play the other night and it is excellent.  Fantastic graphics and good gameplay.  I'm going to do a video very soon, I would like a crosshair removal patch if possible so fingers crossed for that.  Most Arcade games now are released for positional guns on a stand so the crosshair is shown as a default which is less fun when using a proper Lightgun so they need a patch to remove it.

Ahead of launch I've also been progressing Lightgun support on the Pi.  I've preliminary added Lightgun support to lr-pcsx-rearmed although my merge hasn't been accepted yet and I've fixed a Lightgun bug in RetroArch.  There are still some general issues with Pi Lightgun support I'm looking at.  The great news is that when everything is sorted, pretty much support will be available for all the systems and with the Pi 4 we will get some amazing performance including full speed House Of The Dead 2 Arcade!  On top of the systems on the Pi I've shown in my previous videos we will also get SNES, Master System, Megadrive/Genesis, SegaCD/MegaCD and Dreamcast.  This pretty much completes the set with one exception Saturn.  The emulator doesn't yet support Lightguns and also only time will tell if the Pi 4 can properly manage Saturn at a playable speed.  If I don't get all the merges done for launch you will still be able to point your Pi to download any software changes required from my github.  I'm doing my best to make it as easy as possible to get things running on the Pi.

A lot of people do ask when am I doing the backer survey.  So the issue is that you can only do a backer survey once on Kickstarter.  So as I need this to get the delivery details, I need to leave that to the last minute to make sure I get the most accurate delivery information I can when I dispatch.  However very soon I'm hoping to do a survey-monkey to get some feedback on a few things included colour preferences, interest in upgrades, interest in a holster and also some general numbers about what systems people are planning to play on so I can prioritise the software.  It's not going to be a backers official choice this is more about costing how many I need of each colour in general etc so thank you to everyone in advance that fills that in.

So what does this all mean for delivery.  I said in my last update that it would be November at the earliest, I think November is now when the full production model should come together with all the remaining production parts coming in bulk in December.  This means starting shipping in December is possible but actually getting all 2000 dispatched is unlikely so I think it is better for me to say that backers won't receive them till January and if they come for Christmas then that is a positive.  Obviously I'm disappointed, I know this is common with Kickstarters but I wanted to be the exception that actually delivered on time.  Due to my inexperience I'm forced to do a lot of the milestones sequentially to avoid making an expensive mistake.  This means every blocker delays the whole critical path and it's hard to push ahead at any point unless I'm completely happy with the production quality.  In this next month when I actually order the remaining components that should give a more solid idea of the dispatch time as I will be dealing with facts.  All I can do is keep moving forwards, being honest and as before just reassure you that budget and quality are still perfectly on track and it is just the time that is taking a hit at the moment. 

Sometimes in my updates I switch between me/I and we.  So just to let you know about the team, I'm running the project solo but I have a mechanical engineer who is helping me with the shell design and a electronics specialist helping me with the PCB.  They are both really talented guys so I'm grateful to have them helping with the project.  I guess moving forwards on top of that I will now be working more closely with the injection moulding company and the PCB production company.

As always thank you so much for your continued support.

Best regards

Andy 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2019, 04:55:17 pm »
It would be very cool if he gets all this working well with a Pi 4.

:cheers:

jubiladoatope

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2020, 12:01:37 pm
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2019, 02:30:36 pm »
Guess We wont be having these bad boys for Christmas,thanks for the info buddy,keep publishing these updates for us peasants ;P

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »
Does anyone know if the white border the Sinden gun needs has to be generated on-screen by the computer? Or, could you achieve the same by painting the bezel white, or installing a white led strip around the bezel?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2019, 02:33:38 pm »
Does anyone know if the white border the Sinden gun needs has to be generated on-screen by the computer? Or, could you achieve the same by painting the bezel white, or installing a white led strip around the bezel?

It just needs to be a clearly defined border so you could probably paint it.
But not sure how effective that would be?

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2019, 03:30:15 pm »

I guess it depends on what makes it appear as "clearly defined". I.e. Is it the brightness of the border on screen? The shade of white? The prominence of the edge? Etc.

I guess, if you use white paint, it would depend somewhat on how brightly lit the room was. If you like playing in the dark, a white led strip would look more prominent. We need a test.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2019, 03:35:52 pm »

I guess it depends on what makes it appear as "clearly defined". I.e. Is it the brightness of the border on screen? The shade of white? The prominence of the edge? Etc.

I guess, if you use white paint, it would depend somewhat on how brightly lit the room was. If you like playing in the dark, a white led strip would look more prominent. We need a test.

That was my thinking also.
Not sure if Andy has tested it or not yet.

I dont recall him mentioning and tests anyway.