Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!  (Read 116149 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 09:57:44 am »
Why can't you just put white tape around the edges of the monitor?

Ermm I dunno may work!

Would have to ask Andy or try it I guess.
Never really crossed my mind to try that!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 10:55:31 am »
Well, if I were using this in a cabinet, I'd incorporate a white strip in the bezel artwork around the monitor. 

:dunno

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 11:02:34 am »
Well I need to drop him a email anyways so I will ask the Q for you PBJ :)

On another note I just discovered this video which has some good testing footage from another independent guy testing it (proper YT'er....)

MrLightgun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2022, 10:38:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 12:40:31 pm »
Hi Everyone

It has been a while so I thought I would pop in an say Hi.  Big thanks to everyone that has supported my project, especially Titch, I promise I haven't bribed him he is just a very passionate Lightgun fan :-)

To answer a few of the questions:

The Kickstarter is to hit minimum order quantities to get the components and PCB SMT assembley at a sensible cost.  Components tend to come in reels of 250 minimum.  The Kickstarter gets this money up front.  I will already be investing myself a significant further amount for the injection moulding.

White tape around the monitor would probably work if the room is lit but wouldn't work if it was dark.  If I was going down that route I would probably use some of those cool purple neon strips that people tend to decorate retro systems with.

In the Sinden Lightgun software you can easily adjust the mouse cursor alignment if required.  For example when Virtua Cop 3 first worked on CXBX the mouse cursor didn't line up with the game cursor in full screen.  So I was easily able to adjust this alignment in my software and play.  Luckily Argon eventually fixed this in Demulshooter  :notworthy:

I know there are always a lot of concerns about the border but you genuinely don't notice when you are playing.  The videos tend to over expose and blur the border so it comes up a lot more noticable than when you are actually using it.  The key thing is the game experience, just like with CRT Lightguns you really believe you are shooting the screen, if you are dragging a cursor around or continuously calibrating it is just not the same.

Best regards

Andy

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 12:44:44 pm »
Hi Everyone

It has been a while so I thought I would pop in an say Hi.  Big thanks to everyone that has supported my project, especially Titch, I promise I haven't bribed him he is just a very passionate Lightgun fan :-)

To answer a few of the questions:

The Kickstarter is to hit minimum order quantities to get the components and PCB SMT assembley at a sensible cost.  Components tend to come in reels of 250 minimum.  The Kickstarter gets this money up front.  I will already be investing myself a significant further amount for the injection moulding.

White tape around the monitor would probably work if the room is lit but wouldn't work if it was dark.  If I was going down that route I would probably use some of those cool purple neon strips that people tend to decorate retro systems with.

In the Sinden Lightgun software you can easily adjust the mouse cursor alignment if required.  For example when Virtua Cop 3 first worked on CXBX the mouse cursor didn't line up with the game cursor in full screen.  So I was easily able to adjust this alignment in my software and play.  Luckily Argon eventually fixed this in Demulshooter  :notworthy:

I know there are always a lot of concerns about the border but you genuinely don't notice when you are playing.  The videos tend to over expose and blur the border so it comes up a lot more noticable than when you are actually using it.  The key thing is the game experience, just like with CRT Lightguns you really believe you are shooting the screen, if you are dragging a cursor around or continuously calibrating it is just not the same.

Best regards

Andy

Thanks for stopping by Andy!

Would some reflective tape work maybe?

Like what they use on police cars etc?

Just spitt balling ideas here!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 01:51:01 pm »
Well hes just hit over 100% in less than 24 hours!

Congrats Andy thats quite a achievement!

aklaers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2020, 05:28:36 pm
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 03:48:24 pm »
I am looking at backing on kickstarter, but I am first wondering if these will work with a screen mounted at an angle? In my cab the screen is mounted at about a 15 degree angle (top leaning back) for the way I built it. this is the biggest reason I sold my aimtrak as they did not work on it at all.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2022, 06:43:46 am
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 04:01:39 pm »
I wonder if the top rail on the gun is compatible with a 20mm rail mount for a red dot sight. I think will that be  nice too.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 04:09:38 pm »
So $170 per working lightgun….. somebody once again misses the point.   That price is approaching the price of real arcade hardware and if I were going to spend that much I'd much rather buy the real deal and work towards getting that working.  Sell me a kit for $50 or less so I can have a working solution for a reasonable price.  Congratulations on getting it funded.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 05:24:19 pm »
I wonder if the top rail on the gun is compatible with a 20mm rail mount for a red dot sight. I think will that be  nice too.

I agree.  If it does not fit I intend to come up with an adapter or mod to make one fit.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 05:26:21 pm »
Well hes just hit over 100% in less than 24 hours!

Congrats Andy thats quite a achievement!

QFT!  I'd say he judged his potential audience well.   :applaud:

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2020, 02:10:37 pm
  • Chihiro ftw
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 05:26:36 pm »
It looks like he made it. Im curious to see how the gun turns out; and what people will be getting in a few months from now.
thet0ast3r

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 06:15:12 pm »

Yes it will.

I am looking at backing on kickstarter, but I am first wondering if these will work with a screen mounted at an angle? In my cab the screen is mounted at about a 15 degree angle (top leaning back) for the way I built it. this is the biggest reason I sold my aimtrak as they did not work on it at all.

Yes they will.

So $170 per working lightgun….. somebody once again misses the point.   That price is approaching the price of real arcade hardware and if I were going to spend that much I'd much rather buy the real deal and work towards getting that working.  Sell me a kit for $50 or less so I can have a working solution for a reasonable price.  Congratulations on getting it funded.

Should only be $100 each your money?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 10:21:20 pm »
My wallet is twitching.  I’ve got a Top Gun 3 that works pretty well as a magic wand but I haven’t turned it on in years....  will wait for some feedback from an enthusiast old enough to remember how these things used to play.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 01:17:56 am »
My wallet is twitching.  I’ve got a Top Gun 3 that works pretty well as a magic wand but I haven’t turned it on in years....  will wait for some feedback from an enthusiast old enough to remember how these things used to play.

You mean one other than me or the YT guy I linked? :o

I am flattered though lol

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2019, 12:03:48 pm »
Wonder when can we get the gun in our hands.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2019, 06:36:03 pm »
I'm not usually a fan of Kickstarter, but I'm leaning towards backing this project. Thanks for sharing.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2019, 02:24:38 pm »
Nearly hit 300%  :o

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2019, 02:38:42 pm »
So wait half year until we start to get the light gun? Or can be like in 3 months

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2019, 02:39:41 pm »
So wait half year until we start to get the light gun? Or can be like in 3 months

No idea.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2019, 02:43:48 pm »
Make sure you PM Titch once a week until they show up. If anyone will have the scoop, it will be him.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2019, 02:47:35 pm »
Make sure you PM Titch once a week until they show up. If anyone will have the scoop, it will be him.

Doubt it LOL

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2019, 04:37:11 pm »
The Kickstarter lists Oct 2019 as estimated delivery.  I think that's the best you're going to get.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2019, 04:56:57 pm »
I'm so disappoint with my aimtrak. I really need to change my gun now to be able to concentrate in the game and not the light gun issues. Wonder if i place a wide angle lens (like the one used for smartphones ) in front of the sinden camera to be able to play at closer distance from my projector.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2019, 05:16:34 pm »
The Kickstarter lists Oct 2019 as estimated delivery.  I think that's the best you're going to get.
Yeah but that was assuming they only needed to make the 250 Qty that he based the kickstarter goal on -- With it now being over 300% and still selling who knows if the production facility can triple the output in the same delivery window or if that is going to push the delivery date by a few months.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2019, 06:18:12 pm »
Yeah but that was assuming they only needed to make the 250 Qty that he based the kickstarter goal on -- With it now being over 300% and still selling who knows if the production facility can triple the output in the same delivery window or if that is going to push the delivery date by a few months.
It could easily go just as you say.  I've seen it happen.  But it could also have no affect or even come out faster.  (OK, well faster never happens but I can dream.)  A larger order for components could push him higher on a fabricator's schedule because now he's a bigger customer instead of a small fish to be fit in between larger orders.  More orders could allow him to hire some people to help out.  Either way, he can't even make any new estimate until the KS is over and he knows exactly how many orders he has.  Oct 2019  is the current estimate and I will remain cheerfully optimistic until then.  Which is weird cause that's not normal for me.  I'm just happy people are supporting a new project like this.

clhug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 05:41:00 pm
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2019, 08:00:42 pm »
Dang, I spent almost $300 on dual aimtraks with recoil a year ago!  I love them, but this is awfully tempting!  Wonder if somebody would want my aimtraks to at least recoup some cost if I got these.

I saw the question earlier about angled screens, like in an arcade cabinet.  I have that too, so good to know it works.

I do have another question about effeciveness with an arcade cabinet.  My plexiglass on my cabinet in front of the monitor is smoked.  (Looks really nice when it's turned off.)  Do you think this might reduce the visibility of the border rectangle enough that the gun doesn't function properly?

Although I also like the idea that was mentioned, after somebody mentioned just using white tape, and the reply was possibly using LED light bars around the monitor!  I could surround the monitor with them behind the smoked glass, and be sure I get ones that are bright enough through the smoked plexi.  Then possibly tie them in so they only light up when starting a lightgun game.  (Or worst case, just but a hidden switch to turn them on and off when needed.)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2019, 01:04:03 am »
Dang, I spent almost $300 on dual aimtraks with recoil a year ago!  I love them, but this is awfully tempting!  Wonder if somebody would want my aimtraks to at least recoup some cost if I got these.

I saw the question earlier about angled screens, like in an arcade cabinet.  I have that too, so good to know it works.

I do have another question about effeciveness with an arcade cabinet.  My plexiglass on my cabinet in front of the monitor is smoked.  (Looks really nice when it's turned off.)  Do you think this might reduce the visibility of the border rectangle enough that the gun doesn't function properly?

Although I also like the idea that was mentioned, after somebody mentioned just using white tape, and the reply was possibly using LED light bars around the monitor!  I could surround the monitor with them behind the smoked glass, and be sure I get ones that are bright enough through the smoked plexi.  Then possibly tie them in so they only light up when starting a lightgun game.  (Or worst case, just but a hidden switch to turn them on and off when needed.)

Its hard to give a straight answer to that as it depends on the tint and screen brightness.

But the short answer is yes it should work but you may have to increase the screen brightness or the border width.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2019, 02:20:13 am »
I replied to the other thread (sorry) but can't delete. I was very put off donating by the very negative comments there. I knew nothing about light guns till recently (still don't really) but I'm deffo holding off buying an Aimtrak for now.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2019, 02:25:06 am »
I replied to the other thread (sorry) but can't delete. I was very put off donating by the very negative comments there. I knew nothing about light guns till recently (still don't really) but I'm deffo holding off buying an Aimtrak for now.

Tbf when I started the other thread there was no real info on it and very few videos etc.

Andy has done allot of work since then taken it to various people for scrutiny (including me) and published more info and videos.

Which I think is pretty evident as his original KS failed terribly but this one is at over 300% last I looked which is really great!

But yeah read through this thread and you will find my findings on it plus some extra info.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2019, 02:38:27 am »
One question I have is will this work with MAME emulator? Does the lightgun software put the border over the top of whatever game or emulator you are playing? Or would that border need to be implemented into MAME itself?
I'm trying to imagine a real life scenario of having the guns installed in a cab and playing a non light gun game. Would the border be present? Or is the border activated with the gun?

Might sound like a dumb question but I don't like the idea of having an ever present border on my cab.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2019, 02:46:38 am »
One question I have is will this work with MAME emulator? Does the lightgun software put the border over the top of whatever game or emulator you are playing? Or would that border need to be implemented into MAME itself?
I'm trying to imagine a real life scenario of having the guns installed in a cab and playing a non light gun game. Would the border be present? Or is the border activated with the gun?

Might sound like a dumb question but I don't like the idea of having an ever present border on my cab.

I never got to play with the software and he has made allot of changes since.

But yes it does work 100% with mame and any other emu that has mouse support for lightgun games which is most of them.

His software generates the border and I believe windows the emulator inside it however I cant confirm that fully.

I think it can be setup to only run with certain games much like demulshooter however again I can not confirm.

Hopefully Andy will pop by sometime and confirm for you :)

MrLightgun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2022, 10:38:07 pm
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2019, 07:28:17 am »
Hi Guys

Quick reply off my phone.

In Mame you can use a standard Mame feature bezels to generate the border and select them per game also known as overlays and artwork.

The main software can also generate a border which it overlays over the display.  You can assign this to a button on the Sinden Lightgun.  The games can run in fullscreen when you are using this.  This is particularly useful for standalone pc games and arcade dumps.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2019, 07:29:33 am »
Hi Guys

Quick reply off my phone.

In Mame you can use a standard Mame feature bezels to generate the border and select them per game also known as overlays and artwork.

The main software can also generate a border which it overlays over the display.  You can assign this to a button on the Sinden Lightgun.  The games can run in fullscreen when you are using this.  This is particularly useful for standalone pc games and arcade dumps.

Thanks for clearing that up Andy!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2019, 04:58:57 pm »
Just hit 600% with 12 days to go! :o

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2019, 03:00:07 pm »
He's come up with some pass thru hardware to get it working on PS1 and PS2 consoles.  Mentions working to get xbox (original) as well.
http://www.sindenlightgun.com/blog/playstation-1-and-2-original-console-sinden-lightgun-support/

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2019, 06:28:36 pm »
Yeah I saw the video on that tonight looks very promising!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2019, 05:47:55 pm »
Less than 48 hours and hes over 800%!!

Thats some serious backing!!

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2019, 09:36:44 am »
5 hours to go

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2019, 09:49:33 am »
Less than 48 hours and hes over 800%!!

Thats some serious backing!!

Now the question that arises is will the manufacturing process he has chosen be able to scale production up 800% and still deliver in a timely manner without running into to quality problems/cost overruns that cause him to be unable to deliver as promised without taking 8x the time !