Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!  (Read 116151 times)

Rockstead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Sinden Lightgun Kickstarter date revealed!
« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2021, 10:08:44 am »
Ide say that was a very fair review.
I agree with him about the blocky handle and the dpad thing.
I also said the same things when I first got mine, IMO the grey prototype he had was much nicer to hold.

Wouldn't agree with the comment about it being no better than the AT though.
I mean he is right in terms of the latency being the same its a USB mouse at the end of the day so wont be bugger all in it but the difference in accuracy is substantial.

Don’t worry, you’re still my favourite gun guy on this forum :)

Are you aware if Andy has resolved any of the issues? Namely the quality of the exterior finish, but most importantly on the issue with the trigger and what the reviewer did to resolve it, like is this a factory assembly error? I’m not worried because it can easily be fixed but Andy should get that done at assembly time and I know he’s very open to improving anything, actually he’s too nice based on some of the disgruntled buyers on the indiegogo, I really hope this week goes as well at the factory as he had planned since he had said they will increase the workers by 2 or 3 times, I would plant myself at the factory this week if I were him.

He also talked about the recoil issue when holding the trigger for automatic fire but I think he said it could be addressed through software and then there was all that talk about crt but it didn’t hold my interest.

I asked him to add a table of contents to the video (which he did) I kept having to re-watch it because I can never remember at which point he said what, I was trying to find what you referenced about the AimTrak, I didn’t recall it because in his comment section he does say the Gun4IR is his favourite but that both the Sinden and it can achieve pinpoint accuracy.

I also didn’t realize the Gun4IR was such a worthy alternative, even better according to the reviewer, but I’m far from a DIY person, so I prefer a commercial product but it’s nice to know there will be a worthy competitor and more commercial like options coming for the Gun4IR, it will ensure Andy stays innovative.
Well ile start with the recoil issue.

Its likely Andy will be able to smoothe it out in future with firmware but what people need to remember about the recoil is its USB powered.
It does not have a external power source so its limited by how fast the cap can chsrge inbetween shots.

Thats why he made it adjustable so if you want full kick you have to slow down the ROF.
If you want fast ROF reduce the kick.

As for the trigger tightness issue that seems to be caused by the moulding process it does not happen to all units and 95% of the ones that do have it loosening the screws off 1/4 turn fixes it.

I dont think adding a little grease in there is a bad idea but looked like he added to much grease IMO.
Grease is a less is more kind of thing.

Sadly those thats not likely something to get fixed any time soon as to have moulds adjusted is costly but obv thats Andys choice.
So if it doesn’t happen to all units then it seems to be to be an assembly issue, he should be able to fix that through process.

You didn’t really mention the body finish, I know things always look worse in close up pictures and videos, but it looks like an unfinished product in those examples in the video, I know it’s not supposed to be a big deal but still disappointing quality control issue if not by design.

Boojakascha also clarified regarding the post above on LED projectors

“The two terms don't negate each other, but describe different parts. LCD is the light gate matrix. LED is the light source. If you think of other displays: Most LEDs use LCDs. Not all LCD TVs are LED based. Even most OLEDs use a TFT. What term is used in marketing depends on what is en vogue currently. My Hitachi beamer uses light emitting diodes as a source.”

He also clarified on the AimTrak comparison

“The comparision to the Aimtrak is just in regards of latency. As explained in more detail in episode 199, tracking a trapezoid rather than a line is the key to overcome position and orientation related inaccuracy.”

And I like his comparison of the Gun4IR and Sinden

“Both can achieve perfect accuracy. Which one you like better would depend on the willingness to put lights on the TV versus having boarders on the screen =) I like the JB 4PLG (now Gun4IR) better.”

I still think it’s the best review to date and serves as a great reference point if you extract all his additional responses from the comments.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2021, 10:50:30 am »
Ide say that was a very fair review.
I agree with him about the blocky handle and the dpad thing.
I also said the same things when I first got mine, IMO the grey prototype he had was much nicer to hold.

Wouldn't agree with the comment about it being no better than the AT though.
I mean he is right in terms of the latency being the same its a USB mouse at the end of the day so wont be bugger all in it but the difference in accuracy is substantial.

Don’t worry, you’re still my favourite gun guy on this forum :)

Are you aware if Andy has resolved any of the issues? Namely the quality of the exterior finish, but most importantly on the issue with the trigger and what the reviewer did to resolve it, like is this a factory assembly error? I’m not worried because it can easily be fixed but Andy should get that done at assembly time and I know he’s very open to improving anything, actually he’s too nice based on some of the disgruntled buyers on the indiegogo, I really hope this week goes as well at the factory as he had planned since he had said they will increase the workers by 2 or 3 times, I would plant myself at the factory this week if I were him.

He also talked about the recoil issue when holding the trigger for automatic fire but I think he said it could be addressed through software and then there was all that talk about crt but it didn’t hold my interest.

I asked him to add a table of contents to the video (which he did) I kept having to re-watch it because I can never remember at which point he said what, I was trying to find what you referenced about the AimTrak, I didn’t recall it because in his comment section he does say the Gun4IR is his favourite but that both the Sinden and it can achieve pinpoint accuracy.

I also didn’t realize the Gun4IR was such a worthy alternative, even better according to the reviewer, but I’m far from a DIY person, so I prefer a commercial product but it’s nice to know there will be a worthy competitor and more commercial like options coming for the Gun4IR, it will ensure Andy stays innovative.
Well ile start with the recoil issue.

Its likely Andy will be able to smoothe it out in future with firmware but what people need to remember about the recoil is its USB powered.
It does not have a external power source so its limited by how fast the cap can chsrge inbetween shots.

Thats why he made it adjustable so if you want full kick you have to slow down the ROF.
If you want fast ROF reduce the kick.

As for the trigger tightness issue that seems to be caused by the moulding process it does not happen to all units and 95% of the ones that do have it loosening the screws off 1/4 turn fixes it.

I dont think adding a little grease in there is a bad idea but looked like he added to much grease IMO.
Grease is a less is more kind of thing.

Sadly those thats not likely something to get fixed any time soon as to have moulds adjusted is costly but obv thats Andys choice.
So if it doesn’t happen to all units then it seems to be to be an assembly issue, he should be able to fix that through process.

You didn’t really mention the body finish, I know things always look worse in close up pictures and videos, but it looks like an unfinished product in those examples in the video, I know it’s not supposed to be a big deal but still disappointing quality control issue if not by design.

“The two terms don't negate each other, but describe different parts. LCD is the light gate matrix. LED is the light source. If you think of other displays: Most LEDs use LCDs. Not all LCD TVs are LED based. Even most OLEDs use a TFT. What term is used in marketing depends on what is en vogue currently. My Hitachi beamer uses light emitting diodes as a source.”

He also clarified on the AimTrak comparison

“The comparision to the Aimtrak is just in regards of latency. As explained in more detail in episode 199, tracking a trapezoid rather than a line is the key to overcome position and orientation related inaccuracy.”

And I like his comparison of the Gun4IR and Sinden

“Both can achieve perfect accuracy. Which one you like better would depend on the willingness to put lights on the TV versus having boarders on the screen =) I like the JB 4PLG (now Gun4IR) better.”

I still think it’s the best review to date and serves as a great reference point if you extract all his additional responses from the comments.

Well yeah if you add in those comments then yes really cant argue with him heh.

As for the finish the issue with it on videos/cameras is its not a matt finish but more of a sort of satin.
Despite how it looks is not rough or badly finished at all.
It just does not photograph well LOL

If you look at the reds or blues they look much nicer on pictures but the black has a almost mirrored finish.
Andy said he was going for a more gun blue effect with the black which I think he achieved in terms of the way it looks but it just does not look quite right on a plastic gun IMO.
A matt finish would of been nicer.

But yeah dont be put off by the pics/videos its much nicer when its actually in your hand.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #522 on: March 04, 2021, 01:42:05 pm »
RMC posted a follow up video to his original, You may remember I posted it ages ago after he got to try the same prototype I did.

clhug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 05:41:00 pm
« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2021, 10:03:42 pm »

I replied again in the video comments to his reply about LED projectors...

Agreed from a technical standpoint.  But in marketing terms specifically for projectors, "LED" is used to market the very cheap LED light source projectors, search Amazon for "led projector" and see what you get, and THOSE types of projectors are what the Sinden wiki is referring to as not recommended.

My point is that in the context of the video, if someone who is not familiar with the difference watches it, the implication is that "LED" projectors work just fine, when that can not actually be said based on your experience.  You weren't testing an "LED" projector.

It's like saying, "Volkswagen does not recommend taking the Beetle off road.  But I had no problems at all.  My Land Rover worked perfectly well off road."  Sure, WE know those are two entirely different vehicles that don't even compare, but someone who isn't familiar with those vehicles might assume you're implying that the Beetle runs just fine off road.

That said, yes, I do agree it's the best and most detailed review so far.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 pm
« Reply #524 on: March 28, 2021, 01:26:32 pm »
Sinden really needs to get on top of speeding up the manufacturing process. A 90 day wait time is really a bit extreme. I was going to pull the trigger on these months ago but I didn’t like the idea of such a long wait time.

I just checked now and his estimated delivery for a purchase today is June. Still? This guy could be making a boatload more money if he invested in some manufacturing help.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #525 on: March 28, 2021, 02:06:30 pm »
Sinden really needs to get on top of speeding up the manufacturing process. A 90 day wait time is really a bit extreme. I was going to pull the trigger on these months ago but I didn’t like the idea of such a long wait time.

I just checked now and his estimated delivery for a purchase today is June. Still? This guy could be making a boatload more money if he invested in some manufacturing help.
Not sure if you noticed but theres a pandemic on.

Massive corporations are struggling with supplies, factories running and everything else so not sure why you think a one man operation and a small moulding and assembly factory would fare any better?

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #526 on: March 28, 2021, 05:00:11 pm »

Massive corporations are struggling with supplies, factories running and everything else so not sure why you think a one man operation and a small moulding and assembly factory would fare any better?

I knew the pandemic argument would come up, I realize that and should of notated that in previous post.

That said, from a business standpoint I would try to maybe get some help so people wouldn’t have to wait 90 days to get a product, that’s all. I read through this whole thread, I know others complained of the same thing.

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #527 on: March 28, 2021, 05:50:36 pm »

I knew the pandemic argument would come up, I realize that and should of notated that in previous post.

That said, from a business standpoint I would try to maybe get some help so people wouldn’t have to wait 90 days to get a product, that’s all. I read through this whole thread, I know others complained of the same thing.

90 days, I wish I had mine in 90 days.

I think if you are ordering anything off of indiegogo then your expectations should be set real low, these are small start ups coming off of a Kickstarter. I would think we are all considered part of the pilot rollout at this point.

I would prefer to have my guns in hand, I’m not super happy about being on the indiegogo for 1 year but it’s an extremely niche product that no one else is offering, so what’s our alternative? You could cancel your order in protest but that wouldn’t get it to you any faster.

At least he’s being clear with new customers and when they are going to get them, I do wish he continue to do weekly communications with orders that went out this week, the guys is obviously over his head and trying to do this while being careful not to lose his shirt, he could have pushed production overseas but then he wouldn’t have the close eye on production quality.

BTW, try ordering a PS5 or GTX card lately? Or anything hobby related, it’s crazy everywhere, why would this be different and he doesn’t even have the resources of a large corporation.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #528 on: March 28, 2021, 06:05:36 pm »
He could also simply not accept money until he had product in hand to sell....

Nah....

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #529 on: March 28, 2021, 06:38:32 pm »
He could also simply not accept money until he had product in hand to sell....

Nah....

On a retail page, 100% agree, on an indiegogo platform, it’s an extension of a Kickstarter and that fits well within that structure.

He also makes it perfectly clear to new buyers that the batch they are contributing towards is “targeted” for June, so nothing prevents someone from waiting until he moves off the platform to a commercial page, request a refund, or wait for a target date that makes sense for you, until then everyone is just getting in queue.

It seems rare to get much innovation in this space, let alone launch a product in this current environment. Guys like this need more support so we get other innovators.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #530 on: March 29, 2021, 01:46:48 am »
Just to be clear he is not assembling the inits by hand or anything they are being moulded, assembled and shipped direct from the factory.

But the factory has the same issue as most others over here.

Fighting part shortages, staff absence, lockdown shipping delays, brexit etc.
The list goes on.....

Several thousand units have been shipped now and as the factory is now ramping up with more staff etc more will ship faster.

Just gota be patient.

Andy intends to set up a retail shop but only once all the pre-orders are shipped.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #531 on: March 29, 2021, 06:09:37 pm »
Just to be clear he is not assembling the inits by hand or anything they are being moulded, assembled and shipped direct from the factory.

The list goes on.....

Several thousand units have been shipped now and as the factory is now ramping up with more staff etc more will ship faster.

Just gota be patient.

Andy intends to set up a retail shop but only once all the pre-orders are shipped.

Ah I thought he himself was assembling them by hand like out of his garage or something. That’s why I was a little irritated. It’s like cmon man you have a winner here with people saying shut up and take my money, care a little more lol.

uptown47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 05:46:44 pm
  • Just takin' life one game of Frogger at a time...
« Reply #532 on: March 31, 2021, 07:36:01 am »
Just got mine on Monday and I have to say, it is well worth the wait! Only played Time Crisis and Point Blank quickly (a big thanks to Titch Gamer for the great tutorial videos - couldn't have done it without you mate).

Looking forward to the weekend to get stuck in with more games. :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #533 on: March 31, 2021, 07:40:13 am »

The list goes on.....

Just gota be patient.

Ah I thought he himself was assembling them by hand like out of his garage or something. That’s why I was a little irritated. It’s like cmon man you have a winner here with people saying shut up and take my money, care a little more lol.

Nope full factory operation.
But they have been strugling same as everyone else sadly :(

Just got mine on Monday and I have to say, it is well worth the wait! Only played Time Crisis and Point Blank quickly (a big thanks to Titch Gamer for the great tutorial videos - couldn't have done it without you mate).

Looking forward to the weekend to get stuck in with more games. :)

Glad they helped, Enjoy man :)

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #534 on: March 31, 2021, 07:50:05 am »
I'd built a slot for the two Sinden Lightguns last year when I built my cabinet. Andy (from Sinden) had kindly shared the 'secret' (as they were then) dimensions for the gun shell with me so that I could get the holes etc correct.

I have to say I'm really pleased he didn't change the dimensions. It fits like a glove. The second gun is coming from Indiegogo so not arrived yet.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #535 on: March 31, 2021, 07:52:04 am »
I like the design you went with there. Very nice  :applaud:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #536 on: April 11, 2021, 06:04:03 pm »
Figured you guys may like to see this:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #537 on: April 11, 2021, 06:43:49 pm »
Wow! Thanks for sharing. So, do you think this could be a legitimate replacement for a Guncon 2? It would be really impressive to see Time Crisis II and 3 running on original hardware through an LCD with the screen flashes patched out. At that point, the Sinden border would be very much worth it, especially for Crisis Zone, where the screen basically strobes for the whole game when you're using a Guncon 2.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #538 on: April 12, 2021, 12:33:24 am »
I do yeah, its very responsive.
Its gcon45 only atm but Andy thinks gcon2 will be easier if anything!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #539 on: April 19, 2021, 06:53:29 am »
Got 2 working now to

uptown47

• Offline Offline
« Reply #540 on: April 19, 2021, 06:57:42 am »
Good work Titch! Nice one. :-)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #541 on: May 06, 2021, 03:46:31 pm »
GCON2 is now also up and running! :D
Still got a few kinks to work out but working pretty damn good :D

Seob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 01:40:33 am
« Reply #542 on: August 10, 2021, 02:15:20 am »
I love the gun. Think i waited half a year for mine to get shipped, but it was worth it. The unit i got also has a sticky trigger. I used a sharp knife to get rid of some molding lines on the inside of the trigger housing. That solved my problem.

gareth_iowc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2022, 03:27:37 am
« Reply #543 on: December 25, 2021, 06:05:14 am »
I've had my gun 6 months now and i love it!!

I had the aimtrak before and i had so many issues with the IR tracking.

I've had no quality issues with the sinden gun and the finish is amazing. The recoil being powered off of the same cable is a nice feature, maybe not as forceful as the aimtrak but it still kicks and tbh after half hour of play it gets boring.

The sinden tracking is awesome! Super responsive and i have no issues with the room being bright like i did with the IR gun.

The camera is quite resource hungry but modern computers with exception of cheap laptops have no issues with this.

The gun works surprisingly well on the raspberry pi4 but when emulating hot2 on dream cast the gun sometimes gets laggy but comeon thats still insane for the raspberry pi hardware.

On the pc it's been plug and play (single monitor) and they have an amazing wiki on setting up the emulators. A lot of emulators work out of the box that support mouse shooting.

Thanks andy it's great fun.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #544 on: December 25, 2021, 06:07:31 am »
I've had my gun 6 months now and i love it!!

I had the aimtrak before and i had so many issues with the IR tracking.

I've had no quality issues with the sinden gun and the finish is amazing. The recoil being powered off of the same cable is a nice feature, maybe not as forceful as the aimtrak but it still kicks and tbh after half hour of play it gets boring.

The sinden tracking is awesome! Super responsive and i have no issues with the room being bright like i did with the IR gun.

The camera is quite resource hungry but modern computers with exception of cheap laptops have no issues with this.

The gun works surprisingly well on the raspberry pi4 but when emulating hot2 on dream cast the gun sometimes gets laggy but comeon thats still insane for the raspberry pi hardware.

On the pc it's been plug and play (single monitor) and they have an amazing wiki on setting up the emulators. A lot of emulators work out of the box that support mouse shooting.

Thanks andy it's great fun.
Regsrding the camera being a resource hog turn off the video previews in the config tab if you have not already makes a big difference.

Anyways have fun, PEW PEW!