Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Review of experience with GameRoomSolutions  (Read 24021 times)

Trnzaddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 pm
Review of experience with GameRoomSolutions
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:28:57 pm »
Hello all -

I chimed in on someone else's positive experience with GRS's 32 inch cabinet, however after having final words today with Ryan I thought I would post my experience in it's own thread to give people some insight on whether or not to do business with them.

I ordered my 32 inch cabinet kit in the beginning of February.

First off, Ryan was taking 2-3 days to answer emails, including one he just ignored. I wanted to make sure things came out right because I was designing my own artwork and designing a custom CP which he assured me would be no problem, therefore I had questions regarding things that he provided no answers for on his site.

Finally uploaded my finished artwork to him on a Monday night. I did business with Ryan because according to his website he has a very quick turnaround time, stating 1-2 days due to having multiple employees working all times of the day, having parts always stocked, etc. after uploading your artwork, so I figured this isn't some one man side job company.

Friday rolled around, I emailed him asking him if there was an issue going on as to why it hasn't shipped yet. He answered stating it would go out on Monday. Monday came and went, still did not ship. At this point I was getting aggravated and if it didn't ship next day I was going to cancel my order because nothing went smooth thus far with this. Well, evidently someone heard my thoughts because Tuesday morning it shipped.

After being so excited thinking I will be spending my weekend putting this together, it arrived Friday. Opened it, and I started getting serious heartburn.

First thing I noticed is they shipped the wrong color T-Molding. Second I began to look at the actual pieces of my cab. My bottom kick plate panel had a good sized gouge that also went right through the artwork. In addition, I don't know what happened, but my artwork was printed (Which comes with a $200.00 charge) like 60% darker than it should of been, totally making my carbon fiber design basically invisible on the cabinet. Additionally, there was a protective film on the pieces over the artwork which puzzled me as youtube videos I saw of unboxing the 32 inch kit did not have this film on there. I watched his video on his website on how to remove this film. Well....

No matter how gently I tried to peel it back, wet it to soften it, heat it up with a blow dryer, it was taking the ink of the artwork right up with it when peeling it off, further screwing up the artwork. At this point I was so disappointed and felt so hosed. This cab came to over $1000.00.

At this point I started to pack the stuff back up, getting ready to ship it back but then I saw a glimpse of my CP which was supposed to be custom designed with only 2 admin buttons and no credit buttons ( I use a real coin chute) and no holes for spinners which his CP's come with. Well, there were holes for 4 admin buttons, 2 credit buttons and 2 holes for spinners, and additionally the CP plexi was drilled like this as well. This was a complete mess.

I emailed him later that night providing him with pictures and I wanted to return it and pursue a refund because I refused to wait another week to get a new kit which is how long his shipping service takes to reach my state, even though I really liked the cab design and wanted to have this work out.

I finally got a response on Sunday afternoon with 2 return shipping PDF's for both boxes. No trying to rectify anything, saying sorry, admitting fault, nothing.

Today before bringing them to Fedex, I reached out to him asking if there is any way to get me a new kit with everything corrected. I actually got a quick response. He refused to send me a new kit saying it's too much money to send another kit, and that my kit will be unusable when he gets it back which is a complete puzzle to me as the only damage on there was the kick plate, and his artwork easily peels off the black melamine. The wood pieces he would easily be able to use for another cabinet kit. Additionally I got a gist of spite out of him, telling me I'm getting a refund because "I panicked too quickly and I didn't give him a chance to resolve anything"

Panic? Dude how do you expect me to act? My order was a mess. I spent 90% of my tax return on this and I had high hopes for this. Down the drain.

I get no one is perfect, but the amount of mistakes was inexcusable in this kit, especially after waiting nearly a month for it to come in, and his general attitude after he screwed up showed that he didn't care and came off as quite arrogant.

Problem is now I need to find a 32 inch cab for this 32 inch GSYNC monitor that cost $600.00, and I don't know what to do. Recroommasters is the only other site that piqued my interest but their wait time is ludicrous as they always seem to have their products on a serious backorder.

Anyway if you had a positive experience with Ryan, good for you; you won in the GRS customer service lotto. Me? Not so much. So do business at your own discretion.

Thanks

Ink_Theory

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2019, 04:47:18 am
  • On the hunt for my First Build
Re: Review of experience with GameRoomSolutions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 11:53:45 pm »
Newcomer to Arcade builds here :)
Damn that sucks to hear. I was looking into buying a kit from him, but after seeing so many mixed reviews I really don't think I will anymore.
Plus I live in New Zealand so if anything went wrong or if incorrect parts were sent, I'd be right up :censored: creak :laugh2: trying to get a refund/replacement.

Could you post some pictures of the cabinet?

Just to note:
The whole 60% darker print thing, as a Graphic Designer I deal with a lot of artwork prints for giant posters around town in NZ.
So, in my workspace, it's not unheard of for that to happen when printing artwork. BUT (and this is a huge but) it's just a matter of going back to Photoshop, brightening it up a bit and printing again. I've had to do that many times to ensure it would display correctly. I'm not saying he should have to reprint the entire artwork, just a small crop would suffice.

That is something I would have thought he would do, test a print and confirm with you the customer if it's how you wanted it to appear.
But then again, that's another problem I see with him, communication seems to either be very responsive or not at all.

Safe to say I'm glad I found out about Haruman among my research for a cab.
I think I'll be reaching out to Haruman Customs for my build ;D he does some rad work from what I've seen.

What will you do, Have you found another vendor to purchase a cab from? :)
New to the Arcade Cabinet Scene.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 05:46:09 am »
The more important thing about Haruman is he is a stand up dude and he will always make things right. He is even nice when he beats you at Street Fighter.

Ink_Theory

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2019, 04:47:18 am
  • On the hunt for my First Build
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 06:33:41 am »
Exactly, that too :)
New to the Arcade Cabinet Scene.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:54:52 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 10:16:18 am »
Pics  or it didn't happen

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 11:47:54 am »
Here is the artwork my friend had that guy print . He didn't want to bother me because I was helping someone else build a deck at the time. This dude will happily slap someone else's artwork on your cab without their permission.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:50:16 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 01:59:47 pm »
The more important thing about Haruman is he is a stand up dude and he will always make things right. He is even nice when he beats you at Street Fighter.

True story.   ;D

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 08:54:44 pm »
Newcomer to Arcade builds here :)
Damn that sucks to hear. I was looking into buying a kit from him, but after seeing so many mixed reviews I really don't think I will anymore.
Plus I live in New Zealand so if anything went wrong or if incorrect parts were sent, I'd be right up :censored: creak :laugh2: trying to get a refund/replacement.

Could you post some pictures of the cabinet?

Just to note:
The whole 60% darker print thing, as a Graphic Designer I deal with a lot of artwork prints for giant posters around town in NZ.
So, in my workspace, it's not unheard of for that to happen when printing artwork. BUT (and this is a huge but) it's just a matter of going back to Photoshop, brightening it up a bit and printing again. I've had to do that many times to ensure it would display correctly. I'm not saying he should have to reprint the entire artwork, just a small crop would suffice.

That is something I would have thought he would do, test a print and confirm with you the customer if it's how you wanted it to appear.
But then again, that's another problem I see with him, communication seems to either be very responsive or not at all.

Safe to say I'm glad I found out about Haruman among my research for a cab.
I think I'll be reaching out to Haruman Customs for my build ;D he does some rad work from what I've seen.

What will you do, Have you found another vendor to purchase a cab from? :)

I went with recroommasters 32 Xtension kit, Xarcade’s dual coin entry and I had my custom marquee and control panel printed by Lucian who did an excellent job for many people on here and the HS forums. He has a well established reputation. Plus he lives 20 minutes away from me so I saved on shipping.

I get it about the artwork, but I uploaded my stuff to Lucian without changing a thing on my .psd files and they printed with correct black levels. So, I don’t know what happened. Regardless even if the artwork was printed correctly, because it was not left to dry for enough times when peeling back the protective film the ink was coming up with the protective seal.

Honestly if you absolutely wanted the GRS 32 inch kit, go to Micro Center. Apparently someone bought his kit who worked at MC and recreated it to sell in the store which is also sold for cheaper that what GRS charges anyway. Give them the business instead of this guy. Karma is a funny thing.

MC gave me all my money back with no questions at all since I provided a crap load of info and returned everything.

bsilverop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2020, 08:31:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 04:59:03 pm »
At least you did have words with the guy.  I never heard from him after putting in my order.  His website leads you to believe that he'll contact you before shipping to make sure everything is good, but that's not the case at all.  He shipped me a kit with missing parts, incorrect buttons, and never responded to any of my support requests other than to say they'd be willing to swap out the buttons if I sent the originals back.  When I asked where to send, what parts they needed, etc.. I never heard back from them.  Complete joke of a company.  He either has too much pride to ever admit fault and just make something right, or he's a complete idiot.  It's too bad because this had potential to be something pretty cool, but he does terrible business and takes customers for granted.  Won't be around much longer I'm quite sure..

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:38:05 pm »
At least you did have words with the guy.  I never heard from him after putting in my order.  His website leads you to believe that he'll contact you before shipping to make sure everything is good, but that's not the case at all.  He shipped me a kit with missing parts, incorrect buttons, and never responded to any of my support requests other than to say they'd be willing to swap out the buttons if I sent the originals back.  When I asked where to send, what parts they needed, etc.. I never heard back from them.  Complete joke of a company.  He either has too much pride to ever admit fault and just make something right, or he's a complete idiot.  It's too bad because this had potential to be something pretty cool, but he does terrible business and takes customers for granted.  Won't be around much longer I'm quite sure..

Yep, sorry that happened to you. You should of read up reviews here before doing business with him. Yes he was extremely prideful and arrogant when trying to deal with my order when I received it. Was a complete mess and I could not wait to get the thing back to Fedex and out of my sight. Even the guy who prints my artwork was in talks with GRS over him being the primary artwork supplier for their cabinets when GRS first started and he said the owner is a complete as*hole.

I ended up doing business with Recroommasters instead and it was a great experience. Their stuff is built like a rock.

bsilverop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2020, 08:31:36 am
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 09:22:59 pm »
Good info. Glad to know there are some good companies out there!

Drakkorcia

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 04:40:30 pm
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 03:42:34 pm »
GRS has good prices and good cabinets, but their quality control and customer service is lacking. If something is seriously wrong that they can't deny, they will send you a new piece. But their first response will be to tell you to correct their mistakes yourself. They never apologize or admit fault, even if they fix the issue. But when I compared them with Recroommasters, Recroommasters was $600 more expensive after shipping, and that was without art. And once I made some minor fixes, the GRS looks awesome and is very strong.