Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: golden tee fore mame conversion  (Read 2345 times)

Kilowoody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2019, 09:14:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
golden tee fore mame conversion
« on: March 11, 2019, 05:57:03 pm »
i have a golden tee fore machine that i have purchased and fixed and wan to convert to mame.

The monitor inside is a 25khz non switchable i think wg 7500 and i have very little clue on how to display my pc on it. (i know that 15hz games wont play at native resolutions but i dont really have the money to buy a 15khz monitor or know anyone who would want to trade and i dont want to use an lcd screen)
The motherboard inside the game connects to the video card with a vga port so i thought that maybe using soft 15kh and plugging my pc into that motherboard vga port it might work but i got no picture. maybe i didnt install soft 15khz correctly or maybe ill need to make a vga to rgb cable and just plug that into the monitor directly without going through the arcade motherboard.

also should i be looking into groovymame? or will normal mame work fine?

thanks for the help

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: golden tee fore mame conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 11:50:36 pm »
you are going to want to pass on 25k monitor.

. They cannot display any of the early games at native resolutions as the scan rate is too high. Only a few games used these monitors and only these few games can be displayed 100% accurately on them. Advanced MAME will be needed for these monitors.

https://www.ultimarc.com/monfaq.html

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:54:10 pm »
Bad donor.
You have an in demand monitor that is terrible for Mame but great for a whole bunch of games that people want to stay alive.

Resell it, or enjoy some Golf and build out another cabinet.

I am going to go play Golden Tee right now.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:10:52 am »
I played the second course on Classic and got 13 over par.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Kilowoody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:31:49 am »
I understand games wont display accurately on them, but it has to be better than and LCD screen right?  ???  I would like to try to get it working with mame and my pc until I can get another monitor at least. I remember reading from someone on this forum that even the classic games on a 25khz monitor were still very playable. And to be honest I'm only building this machine to get into some classic games with my roommates so 100% accuracy isnt my greatest concern.

Kilowoody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 05:34:24 am »

Lol to be honest, I feel like I've gotten pretty good at golden tee fore after having it almost a year. Also sadly another cab isnt an option due to the fact that I live in an upstairs condo so getting a cab up a 180 degree stairwell isnt something I'm up to do again

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:32:31 pm »

Lol to be honest, I feel like I've gotten pretty good at golden tee fore after having it almost a year. Also sadly another cab isnt an option due to the fact that I live in an upstairs condo so getting a cab up a 180 degree stairwell isnt something I'm up to do again

If you got a Golden Tee up there then a normal 19" cabinet would be cake. A whole lot of us have massive collections in areas that require stairs to be handled, including with turns. I used to live in a second floor apartment with the 180 degree turn and cycled through about 200 games in 5 years living there, including some that had to be held overhead the entire time to clear the railings.

Kilowoody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 12:34:18 am »
My condo is only 850 square feet so another cab isnt an option. Instead im really just looking for help maming this one.
Is there any way you could point me in the right direction to get my pc displayed on this monitor?  ;D

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 11:48:55 pm »
My condo is only 850 square feet so another cab isnt an option. Instead im really just looking for help maming this one.
Is there any way you could point me in the right direction to get my pc displayed on this monitor?  ;D
Hmm, checks zillow to see how big my place is, 936 square feet. Counts games 17, remembers the most games I had here, 25.
A normal game has the exact same footprint as an end table.

No one is running out of the wordwork to help you because the end result of what you are trying to do is bad.
A VGA resolution monitor can at least double everything up. A mid res monitor doesn't have the res to double anything, so it is just terrible displaying standard res content.