Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Model of solenoid to add to a GunCon 1 or Virtua Gun?  (Read 4405 times)

Stremon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2019, 12:05:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Model of solenoid to add to a GunCon 1 or Virtua Gun?
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:13:11 am »
Hi guys,

Lately I've been starting to mod a GunCon 1 and a Virtua Gun with Samco's Arduino project (and other various upgrades).
And I am also trying to add a solenoid to both of them.

After some search the closest thing I found to a tutorial is Syntax's post on the subject:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62723

But in his case, he already had a true arcade solenoid to use, so I was wondering which model would work for my guns, and would I have to change anything to the circuit he did?

I guess a pulling type is better?

TacticalChaos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 02:36:46 am
Re: Model of solenoid to add to a GunCon 1 or Virtua Gun?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:28:41 pm »
Would also be curious to know this.
And not just specifically for the guns you mentioned but in general for anyone making their own.

Supposedly the solenoid used in terminator salvation is a good one.
But I can't find the actual specs on it anywhere as they seem to refuse to list any real info about it (what they list under "specs" are anything but).
It's like $30, but looks like it could just as well be one off ebay/amazon/etc. for $8 for all I know.
I dislike paying premiums for crap made in the same exact factory in china.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 12:30:13 pm by TacticalChaos »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Model of solenoid to add to a GunCon 1 or Virtua Gun?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 12:46:35 pm »
The cheap eBay solenoids are not the same as the ones you find in full auto arcade recoil guns. That's not to say you can't find good solenoids from non-arcade stores. You definitely can but they are rarely cheap. I spent an ungodly amount of time on this issue. I wasted a lot of money on cheap solenoids before I learnt that lesson.

If you don't need full auto recoil then you can get away with a cheaper solenoid like the one found in the Ultimarc recoil kit. It will still set you back $30 though. Plus, the main issue you'll have with putting one in a gun not specifically built for it is making it fit. I would recommend saving yourself time and money by finding a deal on one of the PS1 jolt guns (also known as "real Arcade guns"). I got mine for $40 delivered and they come with a decent full auto capable solenoid, PSU and pedal.