Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Virtua Cop 3 on original XBox with EMS Top Gun 3  (Read 6254 times)

2huwman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Virtua Cop 3 on original XBox with EMS Top Gun 3
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:06:30 pm »
I've got an original Xbox with 128mb RAM, so it plays the Chirihiro Virtua Cop 3. It sort of works with an EMS Top Gun 3, but there are a couple of issues, so I was wondering if anyone has been able to overcome them?

First, it will only output on a component cable (blank screen with a SCART cable), which means I have to play it on a plasma TV, as none of my CRTs take a component signal. So that means I have to use an EMS Top Gun 3. It calibrates OK, and the cursor tracks fine on the horizontal and vertical axes. However, when I move the gun diagonally to the corners of the screen, the cursor moves too fast. It's really strange, as the light gun tracks properly on the diagonal axes in MAME running under Coin-ops on the same XBox, so it seems like a software issue with VC3?

Secondly, the game uses the left trigger to enter ES mode (slowing down time in the game), but none of the buttons on the Top Gun is mapped to the left trigger, so ES mode is unusable. Would it be possible to modify the game so that ES mode is triggered by the 'back' button instead?

I know the game is playable on CXBX, but it would be great if it could run on the Xbox too! Thanks for any help or advice. I guess both of these problems could be avoided if the game could be made to output 480i on a SCART cable so it would work with a CRT and 'proper' lightgun!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:09:13 pm by 2huwman »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Virtua Cop 3 on original XBox with EMS Top Gun 3
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:55:37 pm »
You must have a magic version of coinops if you’re happy with the light gun experience.

2huwman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:08:46 am »
Well, I said it tracks properly on the diagonals, which is what I want VC3 to do!

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 04:15:03 pm »
Do original crt light guns work on Virtua Cop 3 on a modded Xbox? I read somewhere that they didn't which is why I never bothered trying to buy one.

I know the original arcade uses a ccd / IR gun. I was wondering if it was possible to hook an original Virtua Cop 3 I/O board to the home console as at least part of it seems to be a regular USB connector. It's a shame they never made a home version as it looks like it would have been the best of the Virtua Cop games.

2huwman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 04:54:10 pm »
At the moment, VC3 will only output via the component cables, so you'd need a CRT that would accept 480p. There aren't many of them and I don't have one. Some of the Sony BVMs do. Even then I'm not sure if it would work with a normal XBOX lightgun, or if you'd need an EMS Topgun or similar IR gun anyway.

Ghost Squad does work on a 128mb XBOX with some fixes applied, and that does display on a normal CRT. However, the gun doesn't work properly. There's a whole thread on it here:

https://assemblergames.com/threads/chihiro-on-xbox.26483/

It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about Chihiro on XBOX.

At the moment, the CXBX emulator is the best way to play VC3 with a lightgun. It's a really good game.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 04:56:50 pm by 2huwman »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 06:33:10 pm »
At the moment, VC3 will only output via the component cables, so you'd need a CRT that would accept 480p. There aren't many of them and I don't have one. Some of the Sony BVMs do. Even then I'm not sure if it would work with a normal XBOX lightgun, or if you'd need an EMS Topgun or similar IR gun anyway.

Ghost Squad does work on a 128mb XBOX with some fixes applied, and that does display on a normal CRT. However, the gun doesn't work properly. There's a whole thread on it here:

https://assemblergames.com/threads/chihiro-on-xbox.26483/

It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about Chihiro on XBOX.

At the moment, the CXBX emulator is the best way to play VC3 with a lightgun. It's a really good game.

If the only issue was finding a 480p crt then the problem would be easy to solve. I run a pair of tri-sync crt arcade monitors and just about any crt pc monitor supports 480p. You'd just need a component to rgb transcoder. But, I'm not sure that is the main issue for light gun support.

The original arcade cabs of Ghost Squad and virtua cop 3 don't use real light guns. They use CCD / IR guns and you usually can't use real light guns on any game on any console if they are not specifically designed with light gun support. Even then, it sometimes has to be a specific type of light gun (e.g. Guncon 2 games only work with Guncon 2 light guns).

I've read that none of the Xbox real light guns work Virtua Cop 3 and I assume Ghost Squad would be the same. Apparently the Sinden gun will work but that is by design.

For now, playing those games through emulators probably makes most sense, as you said. Emulators are usually set up for gun game controls to be mapped to a regular mouse or analog stick. There are a number of IR and real light guns that can work as a mouse or analog stick. Also, emulators usually offer a little more flexibility with button mapping which would be helpful for VC3 ES mode.