Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Should we add a "like" system to posts (not users) to "upvote" noteworthy/good posts?

Yes
21 (58.3%)
No
15 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: March 17, 2019, 12:56:33 pm

Author Topic: POLL - Add a "like" system to posts (not users) ?  (Read 9986 times)

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
POLL - Add a "like" system to posts (not users) ?
« on: March 10, 2019, 12:56:33 pm »
Should we add a "like" system to posts (not users) to "upvote" noteworthy/good posts?

On the one hand, some think it adds value by giving weight/merit to good posts (good advice, noteworthy technical merit, etc).

On the other hand, this isn't Facebook. Likes end up being popularity contests sometimes without regard to actual value of the post, or end up as substitute karma likes for the user and not the content of their post.

I'm ambivalent. It's up you you folks.

Poll will run for 7 days.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: POLL - Add a "like" system to posts (not users) ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:09:57 pm »
I am not bothered either way if I am honest.

On one hand it serves a good purpose but in reality people just tend to like everything so it becomes kind of pointless.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 01:20:18 pm »
In my experience they lead to the creation of echo chambers. People start to gravitate towards posting what they think will get them the most Likes based on the hivemind mentality rather than posting something for the sake of discussion. Maybe on a smaller forum like this it's not so much the case, but they're still a pointless feature nonetheless.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:25:37 pm »
All posts are ideas good or bad and should not be judged on merit.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:55:40 pm »
There are lots of threads I read but don’t post in. Likes are a way to increase my participation.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 04:02:27 pm »
I've been on sites that do it.  On the one hand, when you are like me and are constantly working on projects for the public, those likes can let you know people are interested and you aren't wasting your time. It's good motivation.  On the other hand it can quickly devolve into a common courtesy with no real value.  Any time someone makes a post, there can be hurt feelings if they don't get a like, so you give them a like even if you don't particularly find the post helpful.... you just want to be nice.  I do some hacking on a ps3 forum and basically every time someone makes a post you give them a like... assuming you read it of course.  So it becomes more of a counter for how many have read the post.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 04:20:16 pm »
I vote on yes. Likes help motivate people to post decently, but only if likes are a tracked stat on your profile. Concurrently, I’d also like to have a “dislike” feature as well. Dislikes can help inform moderators of the “problem” members who are here to troll or berate people, especially people who can’t take criticism or can’t get over a difference of opinion.

I don’t believe in the hive-mind assumption. I mean, there is already that in place with all the fake hand-hold coddling going on, especially in project builds. Adding a like system is just a nice way of adding stats and information on the culture of this forum.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 04:25:46 pm »
Posts with more "likes" are often easier to find when browsing, and those posts are usually the most helpful. The ability to "like" posts also reduces the number of useless "cool, bro" posts.
%Bartop

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 04:42:29 pm »
Posts with more "likes" are often easier to find when browsing, and those posts are usually the most helpful. The ability to "like" posts also reduces the number of useless "cool, bro" posts.
^Like.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 05:25:56 pm »
Doesn't seem like there are enough people posting on this site these days to make it worth it.

Plus, I can't see a use for it. How would it be used and what benefits could one expect?

Would there also be a dislike option? I could see comedy value in that.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 05:32:37 pm »
Doesn't seem like there are enough people posting on this site these days to make it worth it.

I invite you to look at the stats page.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=stats

270+ post average per day, not enough??
 :whap

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 07:28:31 pm »
It's not the number of posts I was commenting on. It's the number of people making them. But... even if this site was still popular, I still don't get it.

What are we meant to be "liking"? Do we just like every time we see an opinion that we agree with? A good portion of the posts are people asking for help with technical issues or which parts to buy. Do we "like" when someone asks for help installing CRT EMU?

The only area where it would seem to apply would be project announcements. An area that others have commented "not much going on". Most people post things like "nice project" when we see something cool. Are we encouraging people to just click "like" instead to further reduce the volume of traffic?

Maybe I'm too old fashioned.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:16:41 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 07:36:42 pm »
Personally, I don't think we need likes or dislikes of posts. I've seen other sites were people just fish for them. What's the point?

I'm ambivalent on a like button, but I'm with others who have said we don't need a dislike button and think it's a bad idea.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:00:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 07:58:45 pm »
I vaguely remember seeing a forum a while back that allowed users to flag posts as helpful. (useful?)
i.e. "42 users found this post to be helpful."

It would be great to find (or mod) a plugin worded to focus on usefulness instead of an implied popularity contest.

Scott

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 08:02:01 pm »
I don't see the point in posting links to youtube vids... but that happens, and I'm OK with that. I just don't click them...
%Bartop

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 08:04:59 pm »
It's not the number of posts I was commenting on. It's the number of people making them. But... even if this site was still popular, I still don't get it.

What are we meant to be "liking"? Do we just like every time we see an opinion that we agree with? A good portion of the posts are people asking for help with technical issues or which parts to buy. Do we "like" when someone asks for help installing CRT EMU?

The only area where it would seem to apply would be project announcements. An area that others have commented "not much going on". Most people post things like "nice project" when we see something cool. Are we encouraging people to just click "like" instead to further reduce the volume of traffic?

Maybe I'm too old fashioned.
Just like posts that you enjoy. It’s not that difficult to understand. If it’s a solution to a problem post, and you enjoy that solution — like it. If a member posts a funny quip that amuses you, like it. If you agree with an opinion stance, like it. It’s all up to you what to “like”. I can’t really tell you what to like, but these are general guidelines.
I’m sure you’re old enough to know what you like or dislike. It’s not rocket surgery.

As for the point of enough posts to merit this system, who cares if it’s 270+ posts a day from the same handle of people. What difference does it make? There are enough people logged in per day that having a system like this supports encouragement from people who are active here, AND people who are lurking. Even more so for the lurkers that maybe don’t want to write a post. Hitting a like button is a lot easier and less confrontational for the gun shy folks.

Personally, I don't think we need likes or dislikes of posts. I've seen other sites were people just fish for them. What's the point?

I'm ambivalent on a like button, but I'm with others who have said we don't need a dislike button and think it's a bad idea.

The point, in my view, is that it’s encouragement for the community to post more quality. People already pine for large post-counts, like that’s any “real” indication of contribution.  ::) Having a larger number of likes under your belt is more indicative to the community and culture contribution, than having a high post count. I can go posting one sentence remarks 20 times a day, to get to the Chad level of post counts (or even your amount of posts) but that doesn’t give you an idea of real contribution to the community.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Re: POLL - Add a &quot;like&quot; system to posts (not users) ?
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 08:10:31 pm »
Oh, I get it. I just don’t think we need it. ;)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 08:22:34 pm »
I don't see the point in posting links to youtube vids... but that happens, and I'm OK with that. I just don't click them...

Ha!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 03:22:54 am »
I vote on yes. Likes help motivate people to post decently, but only if likes are a tracked stat on your profile. Concurrently, I’d also like to have a “dislike” feature as well. Dislikes can help inform moderators of the “problem” members who are here to troll or berate people, especially people who can’t take criticism or can’t get over a difference of opinion.

I don’t believe in the hive-mind assumption. I mean, there is already that in place with all the fake hand-hold coddling going on, especially in project builds. Adding a like system is just a nice way of adding stats and information on the culture of this forum.
Who is getting coddled in project builds?... And fake what?... Those ideas inspire others to actually build someting, anything even if it has issues....Jennifer totally thumb downs you.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 04:12:14 am »
Firm no.  >:(

I absolutely detest that kind of stuff, it's very like social media, where rated popular opinion and content are pushed forward but alternatives end up at the bottom if not limbo.
It influences people browsing the internet and I mean search engines already do that enough, adding more layers of ranking to 'guide' people makes it worse.
I hate the idea that there's a permanent stealthy, silent mob jury clicking 'like' or 'dislike' and people try to conform to exist.

Better let people explore and find out stuff by themselves, then whether they like or dislike what someone posted they can respond by themselves, you know, like individuals using language.

Also in a community I like that mods be the authority and judge what to do independently, never influenced by the stealthy mob vote.

Finally even if it's not supposed to like/dislike 'users', judging their posts has practically the same consequences.

(lol this topic just reminded me of that Orville episode in a world where every citizen carries an up/down vote badge and it determines their fate. or what China does irl now btw *shiver*)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:49:21 am by schmerzkaufen »

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 06:22:19 am »
I hope we don't go the way of likes/dislikes.  I agree with yotsuya, we don't need it.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 06:31:16 am »
Zomg! There’s agonna be a new button! ‘‘Tis the end of days! Kill it with fire and get it off my lawn!!

I like you guys, you’re passionate.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 09:04:42 am »
You guys broke LeChuck. Great. Where’s that Dislike button again....?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 10:33:12 am »
You guys broke LeChuck. Again. Great. Where’s that Dislike button again....?

FTFY ;)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 10:35:35 am »
I'd vote for a Hate button.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 10:50:54 am »
If people really want a new button then let's be creative, why not a shock button that sends the poster an electric discharge ?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 11:59:12 am »
I think its funny anyone thinks a Like button will improve the quality of the posts.  Cause its worked so well for Facebook.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 12:08:45 pm »
I think its funny anyone thinks a Like button will improve the quality of the posts.  Cause its worked so well for Facebook.

Wrong example. Pinside would be a better example to point to. Many threads there are pages upon pages long. There are threads dedicated to each individual machine. When a collector acquires a new-to-him/her machine, and encounters a technical issue, it is much easier for that user to wade through the posts that are of no interest with a "like" system. The most informative helpful posts get the most likes. The posts with more likes get different colored icons in one corner, making them much easier to sort out and speed read through. Yes, Pinside has a bunch of drama. But so does BYOAC, even without a "like" system.
%Bartop

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 12:42:07 pm »
^facts. Once I started using Pinside I really thought, “man this feature is useful. We could benefit from this on BYOAC”

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 02:00:30 pm »
I don't care if its added I don't click things like that.  Its just more work for me.  I mean when you say something negative about me and then someone likes your post then I gotta add 2 people to my list.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 02:08:56 pm »
Tell me more about this list.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 02:24:28 pm »
See...now I might would Like that post....finally someone that knows what I'm thinking...lol.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 02:31:40 pm »

Wrong example. Pinside would be a better example to point to. Many threads there are pages upon pages long. There are threads dedicated to each individual machine. When a collector acquires a new-to-him/her machine, and encounters a technical issue, it is much easier for that user to wade through the posts that are of no interest with a "like" system. The most informative helpful posts get the most likes. The posts with more likes get different colored icons in one corner, making them much easier to sort out and speed read through. Yes, Pinside has a bunch of drama. But so does BYOAC, even without a "like" system.

^Yup
Same thing on the arcade-projects forum, where I spend most of my forum time now.  Though, that forum's first rule is "no drama" and it enforced by the community, so it's definitely a lot more chill over there. But the like system also helps support that as well, and you can see that the quality of postings there are far higher than most forums I'm on.

I'm going to reply to you directly, since this was a shot at me.  The problem I'm seeing here is people like you have this negative connotation with facebook. Sure, facebook is a ---smurfy--- place for comments ...but the difference is, this is a small/niche community, you don't get the random lowest common denominator folks not related to the hobby joining here. 

We're all here for information sharing, primarily, and a like system can help the quality of life in support of posts that should be deemed useful and in-step with the vibe of the culture here.

Call it "like", "rep", "kudos"...whatever.  The point is it's easy recognition from others that a particular post is useful, factual, appreciated by the community.  I don't see anything wrong with adding another feature to help support the passing of information.
And if it's not for you, then don't use it.  It doesn't put you out. The only person it really effects is Saint, which will have to implement it.

I for one would use it.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 02:40:39 pm »
Such tools are only as good as the integrity of the users whose hands they are put into. Maybe limit the feature to the forums where the discussions don't veer too far from the technical. Non-technical discussions don't benefit from lazy "me too"s. 

Who is getting coddled in project builds?
Hardly anybody. But never forget that the price of this happy state of affairs is eternal vigilence.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:45:15 pm by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 02:51:04 pm »
I don't care if its added I don't click things like that.  Its just more work for me.  I mean when you say something negative about me and then someone likes your post then I gotta add 2 people to my list.
And how would you know who liked that post ?

This is just another one of the several possible perverse side-effets of such systems IMO, not only people skip reading and might miss some info or the context, but these stealthy mob rule situations will happen too. Personally if someone disagrees with me or I offended him/her I much prefer to hear that person speak his mind even if it's to tell me I'm an idiot or to hang myself.

We're in an era where people just want to be served fast food solutions and opinions, I know sometimes the threads are too long and the search engine doesn't always find what you need, but we can't deny there's a growing lazyness against reading and participating to real full conversations too, and some'll courageaously only use the vote buttons because it's easier than speaking up and risk confronting people (well, writing)

I might be a grouch with obsolete thinking but I like forums because they're made for exchange in a human language manner, a normal flow, social media with their popularity/reputation arrangements break this entirely.
(chatrooms/irc are okay too but certainly not for developing any topic, I don't understand the communities that closed their forums to go discord-only, that's terrible)

Rep's fine for trade purposes though.

EDIT: wanted to add;

- Because the majority likes one post/opinion the most doesn't necessarily make it the best answer/right. What if it's ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- yet most readers are directed to it ?

- I find the perspective of "beware what you say/how you behave because theres a permanent cloud of judgement-passing-mob hovering and deciding your value and place in this society" very creepy, it's one way authoritarian societies control people.
Again I might be obsolete but I much prefer societies governed by law/rules and where legitimate enforcers sometimes intervene if things go too far, then most of the tme people deal with each other's humanity by talking like reasonable adults as much as they can.

Maybe limit the feature to the forums where the discussions don't veer too far from the technical.
^ this
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:45:22 pm by schmerzkaufen »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 04:02:45 pm »
I'm going to reply to you directly, since this was a shot at me.  ...

opt2not I did not take a shot at you I didn't even know that was your opinion.  I was just making a joke and I'm pretty sure I saw this mentioned by more than 1 person.  Anyways my issue with Facebook is I'm a member of a group with over 6,000 people that use my software and there is no way for me to turn off getting notifications when people Like my posts.  It's annoying because I really only want notifications for things of substance.  The only way I've found to eliminate the Like notifications is to turn off all notifications.  I have people Liking posts 3 seconds after I post and they could not have possibly read what I said.  I'm currently deactivated from Facebook.  I tend to get annoyed with it and go dark a couple times a year.

As far as a Like system here I could really care less I was just making jokes.  I'm clearly not as passionate about the topic as some of you.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 04:34:59 pm »

opt2not I did not take a shot at you I didn't even know that was your opinion.  I was just making a joke and I'm pretty sure I saw this mentioned by more than 1 person.  Anyways my issue with Facebook is I'm a member of a group with over 6,000 people that use my software and there is no way for me to turn off getting notifications when people Like my posts.  It's annoying because I really only want notifications for things of substance.  The only way I've found to eliminate the Like notifications is to turn off all notifications.  I have people Liking posts 3 seconds after I post and they could not have possibly read what I said.  I'm currently deactivated from Facebook.  I tend to get annoyed with it and go dark a couple times a year.

As far as a Like system here I could really care less I was just making jokes.  I'm clearly not as passionate about the topic as some of you.
It's all good bro. I would like this post. :)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 04:45:22 pm »

I need to pay better attention instead of quickly scan reading...wouldn't want to mess up my chances of Robotron training. :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 05:02:16 pm »

I need to pay better attention instead of quickly scan reading...wouldn't want to mess up my chances of Robotron training. :)

You two will get to hug it out at ZapCon. Can’t wait!!!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 05:13:32 pm »
  Anyways my issue with Facebook is I'm a member of a group with over 6,000 people that use my software and there is no way for me to turn off getting notifications when people Like my posts.  It's annoying because I really only want notifications for things of substance.  The only way I've found to eliminate the Like notifications is to turn off all notifications. 

Dang I forgot about notifications.  Yes please if likes are added make sure you can turn off notifications about them.  I know my youtube page is through google and I get a notification every time someone does anything.  It makes the notifications kind of useless.