Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WG D9200 no power no buzz, no glow  (Read 3184 times)

ignignot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2019, 11:49:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
WG D9200 no power no buzz, no glow
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:51:41 am »
So I just bought a set of games with d9200's in them.   The one works great, the other... the screen does not fire up.  It came with a spare chassis, and I have tried swapping them but the monitor still does not even get power.  I have confirmed the fuse is not dead (the one under the little rubber cap by the power port), and orders a cap kit, but that's as far as ive gotten.

Monitors I've repaired in the past have usually "slightly" worked (neck glow, jailbars, buzz when powered up), and doing a cap kit or flyback replacement has brought them back to 100%  but without anything happening on the chassis to indicate any electricity flow (haven't gotten the meter out yet) I'm not feeling confident about the shotgun-cap kit fixing this one.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start testing, how I could determine which of the 2 boards should get the cap kit, how to extract some clues from these boards I'd appreciate it.  IF anyone does a repair service I have 2 of these things I'd love to see if I can get at least one fixed.   I also see people refenencing to reseating an IC on the chassis, mine is soldered in place.  does that mean I have a super old version of the board?

And flybacks.... for good measure I was going to just buy a new one and put it on, but I cant find them ANYWHERE.   does anyone have a source for new 27" D9200 flybakcs?   or a chassis they could sell me that is known working?  Thanks BYOAC.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:54:20 am by ignignot »

ignignot

• Offline Offline
Re: WG D9200 no power no buzz, no glow
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:07:35 pm »
So i started playing and I,am in a much better position but still could use some advice/peace of mind

I pulled the screen from the cab and hooked up chassis #2.

Plugged it in and it starts buzzing quietly and the screen glows a gross white color.  If i turn the brightness down on the flyback the white goes away but a picture never materializes.

I will be doing a cap kit when it shows up and reporting back, but I'm wondering if anyone has any info on this type of behavior

Thanks byoac!

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:13:14 am
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 05:16:16 pm »
does the menu appear when you press the button on the remote?

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 05:54:23 pm »
 :burgerking:
does the menu appear when you press the button on the remote?

Nope cant get anything on the screen except the raster.  The H adjust pot does stretch and shrink it horizontally

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 05:58:55 pm »
probably a missing power rail. check and make sure you have +5 volts. if the OSD doesn't display but you have a raster, the computer isn't powering on.

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 06:08:57 pm »
There's nothing hooked up to it, but with the other one i have, if there is no signal a. "No signal" message should be bouncing around the screen

It seems to me that maybe the image is there but too dark for me to see unless i crank the brightness in which case any video signal gets washed out and i can only see white.

I say this because on other monitors turning the brightness all the way up makes a VERY white screen, and mije is more of a dirty snow dim color at its brightest.

I think it's gonna be caps but i am still appreciating the dialogue.  Thanks BYOAC
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:16:37 pm by ignignot »

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 06:31:33 pm »
I got the meter out.   What voltage am i looking on TP1 next to the flyback?

Where are the test pins on this thing?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:19:57 pm »
I wouldn't go stabbing willy nilly into the chassis. there are some pretty gnarly things going on in there that can blow up your meter.

is the green LED on the deflection board on? off? flashing? dim? jittering? this LED shows the +5v is working. if it's anything but ON, it's going to need more digging into.

schematic here if you don't have one:

https://www.wellsgardner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/D9204_D9205_Schematics.pdf

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 10:12:56 pm »
No green led on the board :(  not that it's not lit but i dont see a bulb
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:18:22 pm by ignignot »

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 01:59:27 am »
Haha well i got impatient and started messing with the no power , no glow  chassis again now that the monitor is out of the cab, started by cleaning it and found the first transformer was loose.

So i soldered it back into place and BAM picture! I'm not gonna screw with the other chassis.  If someone wants to buy it pm me an offer,

Also, where do i test voltages? Now that it works i want to make sure it's in the correct range

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 10:01:11 pm »
the LED was an optional component on the 9200 chassis. it may have had one or not. early chassis had them, but later productions had it omitted to save a few cents.

the chassis uses switchmode power supply. if it's working, it's about what it's supposed to be. it's mostly self regulating to a point. if it's overloaded or shorted the switchmode control chip (IC401) reads the high current feedback and will shut off and will attempt to start again after a short delay. this will cause things like LEDs and voltages to pulse and sometimes the chassis to make sounds like TICK TICK TICK or FWEET FWEET FWEET or solenoids to click off and on rapidly.

the big issue with these chassis is the capacitors. if they fail and a rail goes down, it might not trip the switchmode overload (Set too high IMO) this causes the chassis to continue to run even though a section has failed. not only does it make it difficult to diagnose because you have to check each and every rail to make sure it's there. and there is quite a pile of them.

do a cap kit on it, or keep an eye on the caps it has. if the tops start swelling up, change them out right away. if it fails... the sooner you get it and shut it down when it fails, the better. I've has cases where it's failed and sat "running" for days and days... this is killing multiple components. some i've had to throw out after throwing dozens of parts in it...and it still not working.

ignignot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 09:55:02 am »
the LED was an optional component on the 9200 chassis. it may have had one or not. early chassis had them, but later productions had it omitted to save a few cents.

the chassis uses switchmode power supply. if it's working, it's about what it's supposed to be. it's mostly self regulating to a point. if it's overloaded or shorted the switchmode control chip (IC401) reads the high current feedback and will shut off and will attempt to start again after a short delay. this will cause things like LEDs and voltages to pulse and sometimes the chassis to make sounds like TICK TICK TICK or FWEET FWEET FWEET or solenoids to click off and on rapidly.

the big issue with these chassis is the capacitors. if they fail and a rail goes down, it might not trip the switchmode overload (Set too high IMO) this causes the chassis to continue to run even though a section has failed. not only does it make it difficult to diagnose because you have to check each and every rail to make sure it's there. and there is quite a pile of them.

do a cap kit on it, or keep an eye on the caps it has. if the tops start swelling up, change them out right away. if it fails... the sooner you get it and shut it down when it fails, the better. I've has cases where it's failed and sat "running" for days and days... this is killing multiple components. some i've had to throw out after throwing dozens of parts in it...and it still not working.

Thanks Shawn!  Its gonna be HUO for the rest of its life so i'll definitely be able to keep a close eye on it if it starts acting goofy.  As for the cap kit.... there are just so damn many, and now that I have a working one, i want to avoid one of those fix it till its broke situations if possible.  With that being said, are there known caps that should be replaced?  like maybe the full kit isn't necessary but there are a dozen known culprits?

thanks again fr the help man, and thanks BYOAC.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 09:30:31 pm »
it was released at the time of the great cap plague. chances are pretty good it's going to fail. a full kit can be had for like 40 bucks (for the big kahuna kits) from one of those arcade shops. basically replaces anything 100uf and up on the low voltage side, and all high voltage electrolytics.

40 bucks is cheaper than what it would cost for you to send it out and have it repaired after it grenades.

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/monitors/monitor-cap-kits/wells-gardner-d9200-d9202-27%E2%80%B3-series-monitor-cap-kit-105c/