Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Wave 12" Street Fighter 2 mini arcade cabs. Awesome!  (Read 7602 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New Wave 12" Street Fighter 2 mini arcade cabs. Awesome!
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:28:01 pm »
For some reason... I really want one of these new mini Street Fighter 2 cabs:

https://newwavetoys.com/products/street-fighter-2-x-replicade#long-description

I own original SF2 CE and HF PCBs with real crt monitors so there is no logical reason for me to spend $120 on a 12" cab with emulated versions but I can't help it. They are totally awesome!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: New Wave 12" Street Fighter 2 mini arcade cabs. Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 05:27:36 pm »
I’m more of a you-do-you kinda guy but someone will be along to crush your dreams shortly.

On a serious note, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought Galaga. Atari, nes, iPad game, etc. I get it.

Man, so.much.retro!

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:34:23 pm »
Already looks better than A1Up.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 05:48:24 pm »
Looks about like the same size to me.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 06:45:25 pm »
Too small. It’s ferret sized.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:08:54 pm »
I'd sooner buy a PS Mini.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:29:51 pm »
I'm passing on this one. The one-player control panel ruins the look for me, and the button spacing seems unplayable. They mention being able to use a usb controller, but who knows which 6-button controller will be compatible.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 10:13:51 pm »
I'm passing on this one. The one-player control panel ruins the look for me, and the button spacing seems unplayable. They mention being able to use a usb controller, but who knows which 6-button controller will be compatible.

It comes with a seperate USB fight stick so you can use a regular size joystick as well as the built in control panel.

The big question with these things is if they managed to include a proper micro-switch stick or if they used a crappy analog stick like the Neo Mini which was an abomination.

For the sort of money they are asking, it needs to be pretty close to perfect. It's a good start that they are using the real arcade rom. I passed on those 6" My Arcade "cabs" because they use the NES versions which are unacceptable in 2019.

It's also a good sign that they use a 4:3 screen. I passed on the 10" Data East cabs.because the 16:9 screen looks wrong and the fact that Data East never made many games that were worth playing. Bad Dudes was never a good game. It's odd that they start with that instead of a Capcom or Taito selection. Tells me they are not real gamers.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:23:06 pm »
I’m more of a you-do-you kinda guy but someone will be along to crush your dreams shortly.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 10:23:28 pm »

^^^ in jest, btw
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 10:28:07 pm »
Already looks better than A1Up.

I agree. I can actually see a market for these. I was never sure who the 1Ups were for. Anyone with room for one and sign off from the wife would also have room a full size cab. They are smaller but not small enough to solve a space problem.

These New Wave 12" cabs fit on a shelf and are just about big enough to play on my knee while watching TV with my wife in the evening.

Still, $120 for just two emulated games is a lot these days. They are selling empty mini cabs on eBay for use with a Raspberry PI for$30-$40. I'm sure a lot of people will conclude that it makes more sense to use the money for a multi game set-up.

If the makers had any sense (which they probably don't), they will include an SD card slot to allow people to play other roms.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 10:39:00 pm »

Just read the q&a and it says it is compatible with PS4 and Xbox One joysticks so you can use whatever one you like.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 02:30:51 am »
The modern console controllers don't have the 6 button layout on the face. That's what I meant by 6 buttons. They also don't state that the usb controller can be used in place of player one, nor do they indicate that there will be ports for two controllers.

I'm enjoying the first two machines, but this one doesn't make sense to me.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 01:22:08 pm »
The modern console controllers don't have the 6 button layout on the face. That's what I meant by 6 buttons. They also don't state that the usb controller can be used in place of player one, nor do they indicate that there will be ports for two controllers.

I'm enjoying the first two machines, but this one doesn't make sense to me.

That's fair. It doesn't say if player 1 can use a USB joystick too or if it is only for player two. It's worth asking. It's less of an issue for 1 player games as the arcade allowed you to use the P2 side against the cpu. I could see it being an issue for 2 player games as it would be hard to see the screen properly if player 1 is blocking it while using the built-in stick.

I seriously doubt many people would buy one if these as their main way to play SF2 with a friend though. I see it as more of a novelty item and maybe to take on an occasional trip.

The thing that puzzles me a little is why they don't size them to fit a regular arcade micro-switch joystick. Like this guy did with his mini Neo Geo cab:

https://hackaday.com/2009/08/09/neo-geo-mini-arcade/

He managed to fit a real MVS 1-slot, a 15khz capable rgb LCD (PS1 monitor) and a real joystick into a mini cab that is not that much bigger than the 12" SF2.

That mini Neo also allows it to hook up to an external monitor which is more practical for 2p gaming.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:32:23 pm by Zebra »

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 07:33:36 pm »
The thing that puzzles me a little is why they don't size them to fit a regular arcade micro-switch joystick.
I think that's what happens when you make decisions for your entire line while you're focused on designing your first machine. I wouldn't be surprised if the scale was chosen based on what looked good with the options that they had for Centipede's trackball. Had they started with a joystick game, they might have been closer to Numskull's Pac-Man size.

They still couldn't use a regular joystick though, since they're going for the replica look. The only scale for a regular joystick is 1:1, and my desk can't handle that.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 10:18:18 pm »
I have a coworker from the former Soviet Union, and according to her the signs on Zangief’s stage translate as “caution”, “exit this way”, and “why are you sending me this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---?”

I sure hope those messages are retained.

:dunno

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 01:22:22 pm »
The thing that puzzles me a little is why they don't size them to fit a regular arcade micro-switch joystick.
I think that's what happens when you make decisions for your entire line while you're focused on designing your first machine. I wouldn't be surprised if the scale was chosen based on what looked good with the options that they had for Centipede's trackball. Had they started with a joystick game, they might have been closer to Numskull's Pac-Man size.

They still couldn't use a regular joystick though, since they're going for the replica look. The only scale for a regular joystick is 1:1, and my desk can't handle that.

Sure they could. This guy got it right:

https://gizmodo.com/slick-miniature-neo-geo-arcade-mod-makes-you-a-gaming-g-5333673

He has a real full size joystick and buttons. Inside he has a real MVS and a 5" PlayStation monitor capable of displaying it in native res.

It's still small enough to fit on a shelf too.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 09:38:24 pm »
That's a fine machine, but not a scale replica. I mean, the Replicade Tempest even includes a small knob (in addition to the playable one) just to keep the look correct. That's what makes the single player panel on Street Fighter such a compromise. It doesn't look like the original anymore, but it's not like they could fit two players.

If they aren't going to keep with their niche of being a replica, they're just another mini arcade machine. As a mini arcade machine with a too-small joystick, it's not worth the money to me.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 05:36:41 pm »
Someone on another forum, who owns their first two mini cabs, was telling us that they are very high quality and way better than all the other mini arcades currently available. He apparently has a collection. He said they are all wood and die-cast metal. Heavy enough to be stable on a desk etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing one in person to see for myself. I'm curious to see if it is possible to make a decent but tiny micro-switch joystick.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 06:28:20 pm »
I'm curious to see if it is possible to make a decent but tiny micro-switch joystick.

1:6 scale is pretty small. Probably doable at 1:4 scale, which is what the joystick on this looks like anyways. There are scale buttons and joysticks out there tho. I still have a couple of minis I need to get to eventually.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 06:37:27 pm »
I still have a couple of minis I need to get to eventually.

Really?

I had a couple mini projects swirling around in the noggin, but after all the mass produced retro crap out there, I just don't see the point of going through all the hassle of fabricating anything. After seeing the keychain and 12" sized arcades, I realize it was just the challenge and novelty aspect I was into.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:10 pm »
I find them fun to work with. All the joy of a full-size build, 1/6 the mess, 1/6 the cost!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 08:06:04 pm »
I find them fun to work with. All the joy of a full-size build, 1/6 the mess, 1/6 the cost!

I don’t recall ever tracing a circuit on a laptop mother board trying to determine if I could cut off a portion of “unused” board to get it to fit in a full size build.

Btw, it was not unused.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 08:26:36 pm »

I don’t recall ever tracing a circuit on a laptop mother board trying to determine if I could cut off a portion of “unused” board to get it to fit in a full size build.

Btw, it was not unused.

:laugh2:

Small builds suck. Micro builds, 1:6 scale and smaller like these, force you way beyond cutting up your laptops. On those you cut up your handhelds...the unused portions on those are also necessary I've discovered lol

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 09:08:59 pm »
I picked up a mini Genesis cab and I was moderately impressed. The joystick clicked and it has 6 usable buttons and a 3" screen of approx the right resolution (320 x 240).

They are definately easier to use on a table than gameboy style but, with a little practice, you can enjoy a quick game on the can or on a train etc.

The reality (at least for me) is that a 3" screen is too small to be properly usable. I can live with small controls but the screen hurts my head.

I would like to try a diy project with one of those 6" or 8" RGB crt monitors. I think that something in that sort of size range might be more fun. I just need to find an acceptable deal. I refuse to pay $100+ for a 30-year-old 8" crt.