Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help to get the SuperModel LAN set-up working (PCs already connected)  (Read 1625 times)

bsoder52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 08:57:04 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Hi all -

Working to get the SuperModel LAN Linked with 2 PCs.

I have TechnoParrot and M2 working so far on the LAN.

There game assignments settings changes are set correct I think.

Attached are pics for the attempt. Much appreciation for any help.

Thanks

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Help to get the SuperModel LAN set-up working (PCs already connected)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 07:35:03 am »
Settings look right, at first glance. I should be able to pull the settings off my cabs tomorrow if you need it, but first...

Why is your version of supermodel.exe dated from 2019? And what is that net build called 716 from 2018? The simulated netboard gm_Matthew implemented only came about in.. 2021? 2022? Make sure you have the latest build of Supermodel directly from the Supermodel forums. And when you do, start from scratch as some of the ini options have changed. Feel free to port your control bindings over tho. I wouldn't use the frontend either, if you're having issues. Keep things as bare as possible.

Next, are you positive those IP's are right? when you open the CMD console from windows and type IPconfig, those are the IP's reported? Can you then ping each from the other? And other games work fine? I don't know if Supermodel needs a specific IP range to work, but i would have thought not.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:01:24 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 10:59:59 am »
The IP addresses caught my attention too.   M2 requires the IPs to be sequential right?

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 03:47:30 pm »
Buttersoft,

I'm working off of a pre-configured build. (Big box front end, emulators, games, all game together). I've basically took out the games I didn't want and am now working to connect the games I can on my LAN. Then will install both PCs into the Driving cabs. I refurbished 2 Daytona2 sitdowns. It's been a long project from a time standpoint. I believe I can pull the Supermodel emulator and install a new version without screwing it all up.  fingers crossed!

nugarp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:05:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 05:56:35 pm »
The IP addresses caught my attention too.   M2 requires the IPs to be sequential right?

Nope. m2 uses a ring system, and it can hop between IPs in any order.
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 06:05:09 pm »
Yep, what he said. The ring network's the thing you need to set-up seqentially, the order of the IPs doesn't matter. Everything looks set-up correctly in those photos, I bet you're using an outdated version of Supermodel that either doesn't support the netowrk or doesn't recognise the ini info for the new network. As Butters said, I'd ditch the frontend and set everything up from scratch with the latest supermodel build.

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 06:35:05 pm »
Ok, thanks for the input Mr Thunderwing. I watched your video to do the configs. I can't just scrap the front end. It's a build I purchased (please dont judge) Its got over 100 games all preconfigured with joykey controls specific to the wheel I have with a build front end to save me time. I'm an active dad and I work alot too so my time for emulation arcade builds is limited, but love to do it. I need the front end to navigate the games and my kids will as well when I install it to the cabinets. I can however pull the games to the Supermodel emulator, delete the emulator, fresh install the new one, reinstall games and try go get the LAN working. I'm wondering if there are other files within the Supermodel emulator that I should keep so the whole build works together yet?  hmmm not sure.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 03:54:58 pm »
Sorry chief, I can't really advise you on that I'm afraid, I'm not familiar with big Box frontend. The only frontend I am familiar with is Maximus Arcade - you could launch games directly from batch files with that, so I had some games running on different versions of MAME in it. Maybe you could have 2 different versions of Supermodel running in Big Box? One with all the pre-configured stuff for single player and one you've set-up for multiplayer. I wouldn't try mixing and matching the old config files from Supermodel with a newer version.

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 10:42:45 pm »
I'm trying a newer version of the Model3 emulator. Going to keep the existing mode3 build for 1 player cause it all works. Great idea Mr. Thunderwing on adding another instance of the emulator and figuruing out how to link that one. And yes, with Big box I know how to add another game and point the game launcher at the 2nd instance and emulator if I can figure out how to get it up and linked. So I've got the new emulator installed. when I open Daytona2 and try to press 6, 7,8,9 on the keyboard to enter the game assingments black screen it does nothing. Any thoughts?

update - figured it out. needed to assign the test and service keyboard keys in the primary config file.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:51:13 pm by bsoder52 »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 11:16:36 pm »
On the Model 3 UI for the "network" area under the picture of the game. Should I have either Network, or SimulateNet, or EmulateNet checked?

Also in the config file for this version it has options for all 3. Which should be zero's, which should be 1s?  I've tried what seems like all the options.

Also, should the config file be left where I found it? I the config folder or does it need to be dropped into the same folder as the emulator itself?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 06:08:49 pm by bsoder52 »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 02:49:46 am »
I'll try to make some time to get the configs off my cabs and let you know :)

Also, stop using the GUI/frontend! Get the games running first, and come back to the frontend if you want to later.

EDIT: configs attached. I use a front end that launches an AHK exe that opens the batfile. Set one cab to master and one to slave, as you have already. I believe a) is the master and b) the slave in those configs, and i also don't think it will matter, but try both ways if you're having trouble. If you're using boomslang's amazing FFb plugin you want the "-outputs=win" setting in the batfiles, the alternative being native FFB, which i believe is actually superior for Supermodel. I have to use the FFB plugin as i want the blinky lights to output as well.

For more info, cab a) is IP 192.168.1.101, b) is 100. Each supermodel.ini points to the other cab, of course. The supermodel.ini configs also turn off networking and the simulated network board, but the batfiles override that with "-net" and then "-simulate-netboard". You don't have to do things that way, i just did for some reason.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 04:52:38 am by buttersoft »