Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (Finished!) Capcom Micro Cute (3D Printed Mini Cute Bartop)  (Read 4058 times)

sealcouch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
(Finished!) Capcom Micro Cute (3D Printed Mini Cute Bartop)
« on: December 21, 2020, 10:43:03 am »
Finished!

Here's a little vid of it.

Original post:

Been working on this for the past week or so:

There's the model I put together in fusion 360.

Here's where it stands as of this morning.

I'm currently reprinting the control panel as there was not nearly enough space between the control panel and the box.

Here's where I'm kind of hitting a wall:

I hate this 16:9 screen.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a small 4:3 ratio lcd? The opening for the screen is rough 7 inches x 7 inches.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 07:24:29 pm by sealcouch »

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Capcom Micro Cute (3D Printed Mini Cute Bartop)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 03:35:33 pm »
I love it! Am actually envious you had the thought to make this. Friggin excellent. Looking forward to more progress.

Screens should be out there. I know if you search for specific resolution it's a bit easier to find 4:3 resolution screens so 640x480, 800x600 etc.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 04:50:39 pm »
I love it! Am actually envious you had the thought to make this. Friggin excellent. Looking forward to more progress.

Screens should be out there. I know if you search for specific resolution it's a bit easier to find 4:3 resolution screens so 640x480, 800x600 etc.

good call on searching resolutions. https://www.amazon.com/VSDISPLAY-800X600-Screen-A070SN02-Controller/dp/B07SPY2JFS that seems perfect.

made a little more progress today:

Got the carriage bolts in place. had to hit them with a blow torch then push them through to set. Now they all fit great. Also I'm really impressed with this joystick mounting method. Using those 4 center screws works really well. They're completely hidden when you use a dust washer.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 08:21:26 pm »
Interesting choice to remove the joystick mounting plate and use those four screws to mount the stick to the panel.

Seems like the mount screws being that much closer to the shaft will increase the leverage exerted by the shaft and apply that force to a softer 3d printed material than the original metal plate.   :dunno

Have you tested to see how much sideways force on the stick will cause the screws to break/tear through the panel?

Scott

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 10:15:27 pm »
Interesting choice to remove the joystick mounting plate and use those four screws to mount the stick to the panel.

Seems like the mount screws being that much closer to the shaft will increase the leverage exerted by the shaft and apply that force to a softer 3d printed material than the original metal plate.   :dunno

Have you tested to see how much sideways force on the stick will cause the screws to break/tear through the panel?

Scott

I haven't tested it but it's not something I'm particularly worried about. The plastic that the joystick mounts to is 1/4 inch thick. I jerked it around pretty hard as a test and it seems pretty darn stable.

I'm trying to keep the look as close as possible to the original so top mounting with bolts going through wasn't an option.  I'd love to actually have a metal panel on it but that's not in my budget here.

More pics from this evening: testing the control panel art. also polished the bolts.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:37:59 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 11:40:46 pm »
I haven't tested it but it's not something I'm particularly worried about. The plastic that the joystick mounts to is 1/4 inch thick. I jerked it around pretty hard as a test and it seems pretty darn stable.
OK.  I thought that the rectangular relief leaving a gap between the panel and joystick body might make the stick mount weaker and less stable with the only contact between the panel and stick body being on two thin edges.

The relief around the buttons makes sense for snap-in buttons, but the relief in the stick area . . . not so much.   :dunno

Scott

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 10:31:28 am »
the relief for the stick was because the bolts aren't long enough to go all the way through the panel without it. You're probably right that it won't be as sturdy this way. I really should get some longer bolts and remove the joystick indent.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 04:52:10 pm »
What kind of infill did you use for the sides?

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 09:35:12 pm »
20 percent for the walls, the control panel is 80 percent.

Here's where we are by the end of the day:

Got controls in and I printed and painted the bezel. I've decided to paint all the white parts a gloss white to make it seem more authentic and less translucent.

The bezel is designed around the monitor I posted earlier. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to see if it fits.

edit:
here's how the bezel bit works: Instead of trying to precisely bend plastic, i opted to print the rounded bezel with a slot for a 143mmx143mm piece of tinted plexi. It should hopefully give it the same feel.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:39:22 pm by sealcouch »

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 03:38:43 pm »
MINI ASTRO CITY WHO?!

here's where we are at the end of the day.

This monitor looks okay. I have a feeling when I get the  tinted plexi on it will really pop.

Currently running on my MiSTer FPGA while I wait for an HDMI > VGA converter to use a Raspberry Pi 4. (I'd love to use a mister for this project full time but I don't have the money to have 2 of them right now and this one gets a lot of love on my CRT.

Here's what's left to do:

3D Print the top half of the back side of the cabinet.

Figure out the audio situation.

Print decals for the marquee and the sides of the back half of the cabinet.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 10:48:13 pm »
top half of the yellow part didn't line up so I had to reprint it. Only had green left. Did it all in one piece.

I'm not super happy with the paint job on the front. The good thing is that since it's 3d printed I have the files if I want to redo it later.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:32:48 am
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 10:22:14 am »
I'm not super happy with the paint job on the front. The good thing is that since it's 3d printed I have the files if I want to redo it later.

It came out really nice for the first attempt.  This is something that most people would end up doing 5 times before getting it to just work.  How does it feel to play?

I am not familiar with 3D printers but could you have sanded and polished the material instead of painting it?  Although some Kilz to seal and then sanding it back and then 3-4 top coats with sanding in between can get any surface looking really nice.  Just have to have endless patience!

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 02:08:26 pm »

It came out really nice for the first attempt.  This is something that most people would end up doing 5 times before getting it to just work.  How does it feel to play?

I am not familiar with 3D printers but could you have sanded and polished the material instead of painting it?  Although some Kilz to seal and then sanding it back and then 3-4 top coats with sanding in between can get any surface looking really nice.  Just have to have endless patience!
The thing is the plastic tends to melt or distort before it gets smooth. Usually I blast it with about 3 coats of automotive filler primer and that smooths it out then I can paint it whatever color. Not so sure what went wrong with this one. I think I printed it in a bad orientation. I was trying to save plastic by printing it face down. I think that was a bad move.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:28:32 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 06:17:04 pm »
It's... cute.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 09:53:45 am »
Thanks bud.

I coated the back in primer then sanded the crap out of it then repeated that twice before painting. Really love how smooth it is now.

The front white part is currently being repainted with the same process.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 02:48:25 pm »
got the back panel done.

All the parts to finish up are supposed to be coming in today. Pretty excited to get this thing done and move on to other projects.

It's worth noting that my dog managed to destroy the screen I purchased so I had to buy another. This has become an expensive project.

currently plugged into a big monitor to test things.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 11:29:19 pm »
Amazing. What 3d printer are you using...

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 06:21:44 pm »
Amazing. What 3d printer are you using...
Ender 3 for the small bits, Ender 5 Plus for the big bits.

I'm calling this done. It's closed up and it's working. I did not plan a good way to attach the front and back parts so it's just hot glued. Hence the messy seam. I'm for sure going to design and print another one of these with that in mind.

Here's a pic of the back. Volume knob and SD slot for the pi there.