Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New monitor settings  (Read 2538 times)

Trnzaddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
New monitor settings
« on: March 02, 2019, 01:45:24 pm »
Hi guys -

I am in the midst of building a new cabinet and I am purchasing this for the new cab:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GK850G-B-Gaming-Monitor-Refresh/dp/B078TTXLW5/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=32+inch+gsync&qid=1551551892&s=gateway&sr=8-3

It’s Gsync
Overclockable to 165hz

What settings need to be modified in GM’s ini?  Like for example should I now enable BFI?

Also according to someone’s post on reddit that when using gsync that baseline mame will get perfect refresh rates whereareas GM will not?

Forgive these questions because Gsync is a whole new world to me that changes a lot of things.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: New monitor settings
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 05:38:33 am »
Also according to someone’s post on reddit that when using gsync that baseline mame will get perfect refresh rates whereareas GM will not?

I don't agree reddit's wisdom about this one. Although, if you leave the default options, it may be true that because GM defaults to vsync it may be limiting the output refresh rate in some way.

But if you just disable all synchronization (autosync 0, syncrefresh 0, waitvsync 0, triplebuffer 0), then it will behave just like baseline MAME.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 07:04:26 pm »
Hmmm, why would normal mame start refreshing at, let's say, 59.97Hz? Presuming MAME would look at the resolution line in the config, and that was set to auto, won't it just grab the output monitors resolution and refresh? Of does normal mame try to match res and refresh?

Calamity, what priorities does switch res have? If i was using an LCD, can switchres ignore resolution and work only with refresh? How about a 120Hz PC CRT - can switchres target integer scaled modes, or integer scaled super modes? I know it's come up a few times, but i still feel amazingly in the dark about this. If it's not too much trouble or too long, can you write out a list of settings for each, and what happens at the end? I'll make sure to bookmark it and refer back :)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 03:56:25 am »
Hmmm, why would normal mame start refreshing at, let's say, 59.97Hz? Presuming MAME would look at the resolution line in the config, and that was set to auto, won't it just grab the output monitors resolution and refresh? Of does normal mame try to match res and refresh?

My answer to OP was assuming the G-Sync/Freesync monitor case. MAME by default just throttles the emulation based on the system cpu clock and does not perform any video synchronization. In that situation, what you get is a tear-free, smooth scrolling video at the native (arbitrary) game refresh (be it 55, 57, 59 Hz, etc.)

Calamity, what priorities does switch res have? If i was using an LCD, can switchres ignore resolution and work only with refresh? How about a 120Hz PC CRT - can switchres target integer scaled modes, or integer scaled super modes? I know it's come up a few times, but i still feel amazingly in the dark about this. If it's not too much trouble or too long, can you write out a list of settings for each, and what happens at the end? I'll make sure to bookmark it and refer back :)

It can do all that. However, most of it is done by building a correct monitor preset (crt_range). This is the most misunderstood part of GM an my failure to document and explain it properly will eventually be the cause of this years worth development to be replaced by inferior ad-hoc solutions.

I'll write about that when I have some time :)
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 04:33:57 am »

It can do all that. However, most of it is done by building a correct monitor preset (crt_range). This is the most misunderstood part of GM and my failure to document and explain it properly will eventually be the cause of this years worth development to be replaced by inferior ad-hoc solutions.

I'll write about that when I have some time :)
It's what I do with my setup right? took me a while to understand because I'm low skilled but in the end it's done really quickly and the result is absolutely perfect.
As you write more on it in the future I'd advise you state in bold red font that besides the freesync/gsync cases, very few flat panel displays can run just any refresh like for instance the monitor I use now.
(or you know some high-level sorcery that can achieve this miracle on any flat panel and I've missed that part lol)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:45:02 am by schmerzkaufen »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 11:08:39 am »
It's what I do with my setup right? took me a while to understand because I'm low skilled but in the end it's done really quickly and the result is absolutely perfect.

Yes, that's it.

As you write more on it in the future I'd advise you state in bold red font that besides the freesync/gsync cases, very few flat panel displays can run just any refresh like for instance the monitor I use now.

Long time ago it was suggested to make a list of such LCDs.

(or you know some high-level sorcery that can achieve this miracle on any flat panel and I've missed that part lol)

The only black magic that could be applied at a software level is to do frame interpolation.
Steps to create a log:

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 11:39:34 am »
Yes, that's it.
Your guide for LCDs is already plenty good, there were only two~three pitfalls a noob like me would fall into because of inexperience.  ;)

Long time ago it was suggested to make a list of such LCDs.
That's super hard since I got a feeling they'll be mostly really old references.
Much easier is - from what I understand - about the two thirds of the current ViewSonic catalog of monitors, if not more, share similar properties to mine (not their digital signage products, but the pc monitors do)

The only black magic that could be applied at a software level is to do frame interpolation.
Ah ok, ouchie.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:19:27 pm »
It’s really a shame because the Dell 16:10 monitor I purchased along with a vibrant picture and 11ms input lag is able to display 54hz-60hz but I can’t take the small 4:3 play area anymore. 21.5 inches just doesn’t cut it and with this new monitor my 4:3 area will be 26.5 inches which is just under the viewing area of a 29 inch CRT. Not to mention I’ll finally be able to use the 1000’s of 16:9 MAME bezels.

I was going to buy a FreeSync monitor which is ALOT cheaper but I will be running Type X and AMD cards are known to have issues with them. I also know that newer Nvidia cards can run FreeSync but it seems to be hackey and hit or miss.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 01:48:43 am »
Of course, though as desktop multi-purposes for emulation the (now extinct) 4:3, and (still around) 16:10 are so convenient when you take vertical games into account.
The size is also right for bartops and mini-cabs.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 07:01:01 pm »
True....I may spin around the 16:10 monitor around in my old cab when I put it for sale and market it as dedicated vertical cab.

You can get away with stretching vertical games on a 16:10 without it looking like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.