Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question for for Retrogamers with Video Experience Re Commodore 64 to Monitor  (Read 1239 times)

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Hi everyone!

I built an Aliens Themed Arcade Cabinet back in 2009 and posted it here. It has been a while but back and hoping for some video assistance!

Going to be rebuilding my cabinet as I had to destroy it when i moved as i had not built it with modularity/portability in mind...but still have my two WG D9800 monitors and thus my question...

I have recently converted an NTSC Commodore 64 to PAL.  The C64 is a 15khz video output device. Do you think it would work on the WG D9800? My thought is to do an SVIdeo to VGA and plug it in to the back of the WG D9800. Do you think it would work? Anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:24:47 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
I thought Commodore output native RGB?  Like 20 years ago I was hooking up JAMMA boards to Commodore monitors without any hacking involved....

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Hi PBJ,

That was my guess but wasn't sure. So for the Amiga 500 you seem to recall no hacking so just do a RGB DB23 to VGA and plug in?

Im curious about my C64 as well but since its best connector is composite and a form of S-Video if i could get that to work?My thought was using a 3rd party S-Video to VGA and plugging it in as like the Amiga its native signal is 15khz.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
For the Amigas you can google up some Scart cables, and then some VGA-to-Scart cables. Comparing the two should give you a fairly good idea of how to do it. You want the analog video lines not the digital ones, and the monitor will need to handle composite sync.

The C64 is S-video or composite, yes. The D9800 can handle 31kHz input, is that right? so any S-video-to-VGA converter should work.