Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sony KV-XJ29M31 CRT , need help adjusting geometry  (Read 2668 times)

s8n187

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 10:43:52 am
Sony KV-XJ29M31 CRT , need help adjusting geometry
« on: February 28, 2019, 02:06:20 pm »
hi members ,  i have a Sony KV-XJ29M31 CRT and i want to improve the geometry a bit.  I have some photos below to show what the issue is ,  also i have included a link to the Service Manual.  If i'm correct i need to adjust the GEO 0A UPN (UPPER CORNER PIN) and GEO 0B LPN (LOWER CORNER PIN) i'm not 100% sure so i've come here to ask for guidance .  There are 2 attachments that are higher res if you need them

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/831405/Sony-Trinitron-Kv-Xj29m31.html?page=39#manual

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:17:15 pm by s8n187 »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Sony KV-XJ29M31 CRT , need help adjusting geometry
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:20:50 pm »
Those options you mention might work. There might also be a pincusion option to pull the sides in at the middle and fix the bulge, and then an H-size option to push the borders back the edge again.

Make sure to note down what any value in the service menu reads before you adjust it.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 09:40:48 pm »
full flat tubes are EXTREMELY hard to get perfect due to the constant tweaking of the timing that has to happen during the scanline.

what you have there might be as close as you can get. and TBH playing a game, you'll never notice it.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 02:54:47 am »
+1 extremely hard. In short on those flat trinitrons the geometry menu can't efficiently correct all the flaws by itself, it's really meant to fine-tune AFTER you've done your best adjusting geometry manually (yoke, magnets, convergence)

s8n187

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 10:43:52 am
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 04:57:21 am »
thanks guys for the tips and help ,  i did try what i mentioned and didn't like the outcome.  So i tried what buttersoft said and i got a better result ,  it's better than before and i'm quite pleased.  Like you guys said it is really hard to get a perfect result ,  but i'm really happy with it after the small tweak.

thanks again