Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Could the Arcade 1up thing have been succesful if handled differently?  (Read 22125 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
At this point the jury is pretty much out with this product. There was a lot of initial excitement and buzz but poor implementation seems to have killed off any enthusiasm. Now they are relegated to the bargain bins of history...

It would be easy to conclude "there was no real market for it" but I can't help thinking that, in the hands of a real gamer, it had potential.

For me, the problem started with poor game choice. We could all play better versions of pacman and SF2 in mame for free. But... if they can secure licenses for SF2 and Pacman, surely they could have gotten Ridge Racer, Daytona, Star Wars Trilogy, T2 and other dedicated arcades. Ones where they could have added value with decent controls. Value above and beyond mame.

I might have been persuaded to part with cash for a pair of 3/4 or 2/3 size Daytona cabs that could be linked for head to head play... Or some Star Wars cabs with a real analog yoke wheel stick thingy.

What do you guys think? Potential for the idea or was it always doomed to fail?

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Re: Could the Arcade 1up thing have been succesful if handled differently?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 04:18:13 pm »
At this point the jury is pretty much out with this product. There was a lot of initial excitement and buzz but poor implementation seems to have killed off any enthusiasm. Now they are relegated to the bargain bins of history...

It would be easy to conclude "there was no real market for it" but I can't help thinking that, in the hands of a real gamer, it had potential.

For me, the problem started with poor game choice. We could all play better versions of pacman and SF2 in mame for free. But... if they can secure licenses for SF2 and Pacman, surely they could have gotten Ridge Racer, Daytona, Star Wars Trilogy, T2 and other dedicated arcades. Ones where they could have added value with decent controls. Value above and beyond mame.

I might have been persuaded to part with cash for a pair of 3/4 or 2/3 size Daytona cabs that could be linked for head to head play... Or some Star Wars cabs with a real analog yoke wheel stick thingy.

What do you guys think? Potential for the idea or was it always doomed to fail?

I think you might be a bit premature in concluding they are a failure, but I will agree that they may be destined for the bargain bin. Once price points were established much lower than the MSRP of $299, I'm sure that influenced more people than anything else. That being said, I see tons of content customers who are happy to finally have an arcade experience that resembles what they remember.

I think if you are a BYOAC'er, you would have a more difficult time trying to understand where these cabinets fit in. The things you want are not easily achievable in a budget cabinet. A real analog yoke in a $300 cab? Yeah, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 04:19:28 pm »
You seem to have gotten some bad information somewhere.  Even though they probably made too many of the initial run, they sold well, or at least well enough to warrant a bunch of new cabs to be released this year.  Yes many people in this forum have lost their enthusiasm, but the public in general hasn't.  Facebook groups and such are still a buzz with modding info and upgrades, ect. 

What you are talking about would be financially impossible.  Thrustmaster and Logitech charge 100 minimum for a mostly plastic pc wheel... much more if you want force feedback and a better build quality.  Now imagine that coupled with a cabinet and a pc on a chip powerful enough to emulate model 2 stuff like Daytona USA.  It'd be cheaper to go find a real cab and buy it. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 04:30:46 pm »
What I have found is, themed products are very specific (duh) and require a special person or an impulse buy to shift it.  I like good old plain, add whatever artwork and controls, just don't make it too complicated.  Also for you CNC guys wanting a new idea.  Enclosed cockpits.  These are really hard to come by, especially those who like to game without interference from others or disturbance to the missus or the household.

Selling a inexpensive Elite Dangerous/FSX/Console cockpit (with adequate airflow) that is plain in nature would be a better bet.  They could do whatever in there and keep cables displays and computers in a nice tidy lockable environment.  The only negative is if you are claustrophobic.  You need something that can be practicable and private.  Arcade machines for the masses has been exhausted.   Having a flat pack cockpit design that can be adapted to arcade cockpit design like Star Wars or Star Trek is the next big thing IMO.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:37:17 pm by ark_ader »
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 04:45:55 pm »
If we remove the "this company is a failure" tone from the original question, the few things that come to mind for improvement are:

• Control panel artwork - this is a major QC issue. It should have never happened. all new cabinets should come with deck protectors
  • The warranty on the cabinet should be longer than 90 days
  • Build in wifi features and a leader board so you can see how you rank.
  • Figure out a way to save high scores
  • Make the risers look less like a boot and allow them to be installed by connecting through the base, not by drilling through the sides of the game
  • The back panel shouldn't have be secured by using screws into MDF. It should use a lock/cam system similar to the rest of the cabinet
  • Build a strong 3rd party market of upgrades: lit marquees, upgraded controls, LED lighting, etc.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 05:01:41 pm »
Forget about the games. A cheap multi board or pi could solve that. I’d buy one for my kids if it wasn’t a cheap piece of cr@p. I’d rather spend a little extra for a bartop or cocktail kit from a vendor on byoac. It would cost me maybe $100 more for a way better product.

Walmart is trying hard to get rid of them. Consumers too. I think it made its holiday money and is done. A slightly better product would still be selling on a normal schedule.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 05:13:43 pm »
Forget about the games. A cheap multi board or pi could solve that. I’d buy one for my kids if it wasn’t a cheap piece of cr@p. I’d rather spend a little extra for a bartop or cocktail kit from a vendor on byoac. It would cost me maybe $100 more for a way better product.

Walmart is trying hard to get rid of them. Consumers too. I think it made its holiday money and is done. A slightly better product would still be selling on a normal schedule.

Would love to see this $400 cocktail cabinet fully configured and ready to go.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 07:28:16 pm »

Would love to see this $400 cocktail cabinet fully configured and ready to go.

I didn’t say fully configured and ready to go. But for $100 more than the msrp on the 1up, I’d be at the same point in a hypothetical build.

What if they made something like the neo geo mini? 🤔 (not the new pos mini, the actual cabinet)

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 10:23:46 am »

That is a fair point on the games. Maybe an empty cabinet with various options for switchable control panels would be better.

I agree with you that succesful products don't go to the bargain bin so quickly. That happens for one reason and one reason only. They didn't sell as well as expected leaving stores with product they could not sell. They don't need to discount succesful products (at least not in the first year).

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 10:34:10 am »
What I have found is, themed products are very specific (duh) and require a special person or an impulse buy to shift it.  I like good old plain, add whatever artwork and controls, just don't make it too complicated.  Also for you CNC guys wanting a new idea.  Enclosed cockpits.  These are really hard to come by, especially those who like to game without interference from others or disturbance to the missus or the household.

Selling a inexpensive Elite Dangerous/FSX/Console cockpit (with adequate airflow) that is plain in nature would be a better bet.  They could do whatever in there and keep cables displays and computers in a nice tidy lockable environment.  The only negative is if you are claustrophobic.  You need something that can be practicable and private.  Arcade machines for the masses has been exhausted.   Having a flat pack cockpit design that can be adapted to arcade cockpit design like Star Wars or Star Trek is the next big thing IMO.

You would need an enormous CNC machine to make a fully enclosed cockpit. Your average 3 axis CNC router is limited to approx 3" depth of cut.

You'd need to use an enormous industrial 5 axis machine like they use to make foam mold plugs for the automotive industry. They would be more likely to use an injection molding process like they do for those pod chairs. But, given what happened with the current 1ups, I doubt anyone is rushing to invest in tooling for cockpit pods.

Incidentally, if you are looking for a more emersive pod-like experience, it might just be easier to start with a pod chair. I have one in my basement. They are sound-proofed inside and quite relaxing to sit in. I kept it to use in an arcade project one day.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 11:57:00 am »
Another A1up thread? Why?

If we remove the "this company is a failure" tone from the original question, the few things that come to mind for improvement are:

• Control panel artwork - this is a major QC issue. It should have never happened. all new cabinets should come with deck protectors
  • The warranty on the cabinet should be longer than 90 days
  • Build in wifi features and a leader board so you can see how you rank.
  • Figure out a way to save high scores
  • Make the risers look less like a boot and allow them to be installed by connecting through the base, not by drilling through the sides of the game
  • The back panel shouldn't have be secured by using screws into MDF. It should use a lock/cam system similar to the rest of the cabinet
  • Build a strong 3rd party market of upgrades: lit marquees, upgraded controls, LED lighting, etc.
plastic is fine, Polycarb would be better.
Meh. If the build quality was better this wouldnt be an issue at all.
No. Useless.
Yes.
Agreed.
Indifferent.
The controls should be better from the factory. There's already a modding community for these things, not sure what A1U could do to improve upon it.  I suppose they cant make them too moddable or they might violate their toy licensing agreement.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 11:58:19 am »
As far as Tastemakers is concerned these were a very successful product - and the plans for the future show they are still thinking it will be going forward ( new bartops, wall hangers, new cabinets planned for 2019 in addition to the add on products they have planned ) - They sold a lot more of these than they had initially thought they would and have made a good amount of profit on the line.( The discounts retailers offered didn't effect tastemakers since they already made their wholesale sale.)  They have said it is already a 9 figure sales product for their company which can't really be called a failure !

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 12:31:35 pm »
As far as Tastemakers is concerned these were a very successful product - and the plans for the future show they are still thinking it will be going forward ( new bartops, wall hangers, new cabinets planned for 2019 in addition to the add on products they have planned ) - They sold a lot more of these than they had initially thought they would and have made a good amount of profit on the line.( The discounts retailers offered didn't effect tastemakers since they already made their wholesale sale.)  They have said it is already a 9 figure sales product for their company which can't really be called a failure !

Nine figures is $100,000,000, or a hundred million dollars. I have a very hard time believing that figure.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 01:31:18 pm »
Ok let's do a bit of math to find out.  Let's say that they charged retailers $200 bucks a pop for these things.  That'd be half a million they need to sell.  There are 6363 Walmarts in the US and let's just assume that each one bought an average of 10 units.  That means they probably sold about 64,000 units to walmart.  They probably sold around the same to each retailer, so it's possible, but man that sounds like a stretch.  If they sold em for $300 a piece it would be about right, but that means that walmart and all of these places were losing money every time they marked them down to 200 and not making a dime when they were 300 (which has been practically the whole time they've been on sale).  That sounds unlikely. 

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 01:48:23 pm »
MSRP for arcade1up is 399 Walmart listed them for 299 and everyone else followed suit.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 01:51:32 pm »
Nine figures is $100,000,000, or a hundred million dollars. I have a very hard time believing that figure.

They must be finessing the numbers saying they sold 250,000 products worth $400 MSRP. Those are the only sane numbers I can come up with and that's factoring in that Rew bought a crate of them.
That or they include the 2 numbers after the decimal point as part of the 9 figures.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 02:46:22 pm »
Ok let's do a bit of math to find out.  Let's say that they charged retailers $200 bucks a pop for these things.  That'd be half a million they need to sell.  There are 6363 Walmarts in the US and let's just assume that each one bought an average of 10 units.  That means they probably sold about 64,000 units to walmart.  They probably sold around the same to each retailer, so it's possible, but man that sounds like a stretch.  If they sold em for $300 a piece it would be about right, but that means that walmart and all of these places were losing money every time they marked them down to 200 and not making a dime when they were 300 (which has been practically the whole time they've been on sale).  That sounds unlikely.

10 per store sounds low - figure for Black Friday the stores near here had 20 - 30 of the Pacman and Galaga cabs and at least a couple of each of the other offerings (SF, Rampage,Asteroids,Centipede)

Here is the video where the President and CEO Scott Bachrach mentions it being a 9 figure business for them at 04:50 - 05:10 ( )

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 03:21:38 pm »
10 per store sounds low - figure for Black Friday the stores near here had 20 - 30 of the Pacman and Galaga cabs and at least a couple of each of the other offerings (SF, Rampage,Asteroids,Centipede)

Here is the video where the President and CEO Scott Bachrach mentions it being a 9 figure business for them at 04:50 - 05:10 ( )

It might sound low if you are in an area with a large population and assume that all Walmarts keep the same amount of inventory as yours, but I assure you they don't.  Our Southridge location (aka the "big" Walmart) got 30 or more in, but all the surrounding ones got 5 or less.  10 is about right by my guesstimates.  It might be a little more or a little less, but I think it's in the ballpark. 

You can't go by presentations.... they always "upsell" the product to lure in investors.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 03:25:02 pm »
Definitely a marketing guy, spewing all the buzzwords he can think of.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 05:30:29 pm »
surely they could have gotten Ridge Racer, Daytona, Star Wars Trilogy

That would also have meant using less ---smurfy--- hardware, or actually porting the games, using existing ports of the games, or making an effort with their emulator licensing.

They apparently couldn't even be bothered to use hardware good enough to use a version of MAME they were legally entitled to use, for basic games that weren't even overly demanding.

At least the electronics and software side of thing was clearly done at the lowest possible cost, like the majority of these products.  From what has been said elsewhere the rest wasn't much better.

Minimize costs, maximize profit, don't really care about the actual product.  That's all I get from everything I've read about these; they probably spent more on trying to hide what they were doing / make things awkward for people hacking them.  Games with actual system requirements were never on the cards, regardless of if they could get licenses or not.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »
Well, these are the same dudes that claim the cabs are 3/4 scale, so we know they’re not good at the maths....

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 07:26:44 pm »
Well, these are the same dudes that claim the cabs are 3/4 scale, so we know they’re not good at the maths....

What's the deal with that you think? You think they were measuring a small cabinet, or a cabaret to their cabinet with a riser?

FWIW, it's ok on a riser.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 08:06:01 pm »

You would need an enormous CNC machine to make a fully enclosed cockpit. Your average 3 axis CNC router is limited to approx 3" depth of cut.

You'd need to use an enormous industrial 5 axis machine like they use to make foam mold plugs for the automotive industry. They would be more likely to use an injection molding process like they do for those pod chairs. But, given what happened with the current 1ups, I doubt anyone is rushing to invest in tooling for cockpit pods.

Incidentally, if you are looking for a more emersive pod-like experience, it might just be easier to start with a pod chair. I have one in my basement. They are sound-proofed inside and quite relaxing to sit in. I kept it to use in an arcade project one day.

I can see where you are going with that but the examples are just that.  Look at the firefox sitdown cabinet.  Not much there to mill out.  I could probably make the shell with just a saw a piece of string and 50p.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 08:49:09 pm »

What's the deal with that you think? You think they were measuring a small cabinet, or a cabaret to their cabinet with a riser?

FWIW, it's ok on a riser.

Like Malenko said, it’s just marketing talk. Most people aren’t going to know whether it’s really 3/4 scale or not.

I think they basically thought “ok, on a riser, the control panel is the same height as a real cab”, and they ran with that. That doesn’t mean the rest of it is to scale. I don’t think they really cared about the accuracy of the statement because really, besides salty old farts like us, who’s going to know better?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 09:07:51 pm »
The 3:4 scale thing is just a mess. The monitor is bigger than 3:4 scale. The controls are full size. They must be talking height on a riser.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 12:59:06 am »
They apparently couldn't even be bothered to use hardware good enough to use a version of MAME they were legally entitled to use, for basic games that weren't even overly demanding.

Oh they are legal now, are they?

You should draft a letter to the 1up crew and apologise for your unprofessional behaviour, on this forum and Mameworld.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 01:10:28 am »

You should draft a letter to the 1up crew and apologise for your unprofessional behaviour, on this forum and Mameworld.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 06:07:18 am »

So desperate to troll that you can't even be bothered to read the post.  I said they couldn't be bothered to use hardware capable of running a MAME version they were entitled to use.  They cheaped out and did it the illegal way.

WHY hasn't saint banned you yet I don't know, you contribute absolutely nothing useful to this forum, and are probably one of the reasons it's in decline.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 10:35:50 am »

That does not make sense. Selling more than expected would = stock shortages and prices holding or being sold above the recommended price. Selling less than expected = discounts and stock dumping from the bargain bin.

That is.... unless you think they planned to produce far more than they could sell with the intention of leaving tons of excess inventory to be sold from bargain bins... I.e., they planned to fail as that is the only way to consider it a success.

When Steve Jobs first released the Ipad, did he start discounting it within months of it going on sale? No... because it was successful and prices held for years. If he would have said "$600.... ok $550..... ok, ok $450 but not 1 cent lower..... alright $350 but that's my limit.... ok how about $300.....", that would have indicated a problem with sales...

The fact that the manufacturer is looking to release other products, to me, sounds more like they have realized what other arcade sellers have known for a while: that most people will not buy anything big.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 11:23:02 am »

That does not make sense. Selling more than expected would = stock shortages and prices holding or being sold above the recommended price. Selling less than expected = discounts and stock dumping from the bargain bin.

That is.... unless you think they planned to produce far more than they could sell with the intention of leaving tons of excess inventory to be sold from bargain bins... I.e., they planned to fail as that is the only way to consider it a success.

When Steve Jobs first released the Ipad, did he start discounting it within months of it going on sale? No... because it was successful and prices held for years. If he would have said "$600.... ok $550..... ok, ok $450 but not 1 cent lower..... alright $350 but that's my limit.... ok how about $300.....", that would have indicated a problem with sales...

The fact that the manufacturer is looking to release other products, to me, sounds more like they have realized what other arcade sellers have known for a while: that most people will not buy anything big.

At 05:20 of this interview video ( ) the CEO of Tastemakers mentions that at first they figured if they sold 5 or 10K units the product would be a success.

So they were not initially planning for the level of sales it opened with and that is part of why if you remember the initial retail launch was delayed by over a month to ramp up production - as preorders had depleted the initial supply - then they ramped up production and the problems with them once they got into consumer hands made the demand drop some - so they had a larger supply and dropping demand which resulted in the retailers dropping the price ( but again those price drops did not effect Tastemakers since they merely wholesale the product to the retailers ! ) - So as far as tastemakers is concerned it was more of a success than they had initially expected.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 11:41:37 am »
Companies do not consider it a success if they can jam retailers with a ton of units. Getting the final product into the hands of consumers at the right price is what matters. If retailers get hosed because they have to heavily discount a product they will not likely make that mistake again. WalMart will demand lower pricing next time, or scale back orders, or pass completely. It all depends on how much money is being made or lost.

The price drops affect Tastemakers. It damages their ability to get the price they want for their products in the future.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 12:18:06 pm »

So desperate to troll that you can't even be bothered to read the post.  I said they couldn't be bothered to use hardware capable of running a MAME version they were entitled to use.  They cheaped out and did it the illegal way.

WHY hasn't saint banned you yet I don't know, you contribute absolutely nothing useful to this forum, and are probably one of the reasons it's in decline.

So when is the legal action against A1Up going to move past the "complain about it on forums" phase?

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 02:05:20 pm »
If only success were measured in the number of posts generated at BYOC, these things would be a hit.

So when is the legal action against A1Up going to move past the "complain about it on forums" phase?

If you're trying to insinuate something, it's lost on this casual observer. If not, why do you care so much that you have to keep repeating this? It can't just be a general distaste for complaining, otherwise you'd be making similar comments in half the other threads around here. It might be time to give it a rest.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 02:48:00 pm »
Now they are relegated to the bargain bins of history...

Really? because they did well enough to release a second wave of new games.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 04:33:28 pm »
surely they could have gotten Ridge Racer, Daytona, Star Wars Trilogy

That would also have meant using less ---smurfy--- hardware, or actually porting the games, using existing ports of the games, or making an effort with their emulator licensing.

At least the electronics and software side of thing was clearly done at the lowest possible cost, like the majority of these products.  From what has been said elsewhere the rest wasn't much better.

Minimize costs, maximize profit, don't really care about the actual product.  That's all I get from everything I've read about these; they probably spent more on trying to hide what they were doing / make things awkward for people hacking them.  Games with actual system requirements were never on the cards, regardless of if they could get licenses or not.

It's true what you said about them choosing poor hardware for what they released but the question is really about whether the idea has more potential if they hadn't made those questionable decisions on hardware and quality?

My personal belief is that the market can stand a higher price for a genuinely high quality product but that not price is low enough for garbage.

For years people said there was no market for expensive arcade quality peripherals but brands like Logitech challenged this. Now, my local Best Buy (as mainstream as it gets) is selling $400 force feedback wheels for the PS4. They seem to regularly sell out too...

I can see a market for a pair of force feedback Daytona bartops. It's value above and beyond a PI 3 mame set-up.There is a large number of arcade games where the experience can never be properly replicated without the right controls.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 04:42:52 pm »
Companies do not consider it a success if they can jam retailers with a ton of units. Getting the final product into the hands of consumers at the right price is what matters. If retailers get hosed because they have to heavily discount a product they will not likely make that mistake again. WalMart will demand lower pricing next time, or scale back orders, or pass completely. It all depends on how much money is being made or lost.

The price drops affect Tastemakers. It damages their ability to get the price they want for their products in the future.

Exactly right.

Business success is based on long term sustainable profitability with continuous growth.

It may be too early for anyone to declare absolute success or failiure but we can make early observations based on discounting and excess stock etc.

Maybe they will take what they learned from round 1 and general feedback to make a better and more desirable product for phase 2. I'm not hopeful though, unless they aim higher.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 05:24:44 pm »
It may be too early for anyone to declare absolute success or failiure but we can make early observations based on discounting and excess stock etc.

Maybe they will take what they learned from round 1 and general feedback to make a better and more desirable product for phase 2. I'm not hopeful though, unless they aim higher.

You didn't seem to have a problem declaring it wasn't successful.

I don't want to try to defend them as a success or failure. I will say the target audience for these isn't the folks at BYOAC. Join their facebook group and you'll hear plenty of people who were nervous to assemble the screwdriver only units and you'll find tons of happy customers reliving their youth. Pretty sure you'll mostly get gripes about inaccuracies and flaws here.

I do think the pricing strategy that Wal-mart chose was odd. It wasn't just a price drop. In most cases it was a price drop, and then raise back to full price, rinse and repeat. Some stores were clearing them out and stores within a few mile radius were at full price. I don't track items this closely, so I don't know if it is normal or not.

So, they weren't instantly "relegated to the bargain bins of history..." as you say, but they did go through price drops very shortly after black friday in some locations. In the ones I sold, I wasn't able to get more than 50% for one. I think the public feels the price point for these is $150.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 06:31:45 pm »

You probably think this is Mameworld, which is in decline, and yet you make unsubstantiated and blatant statements which you use (in a troll'esque method yourself) against a product that is successful.  If you are so inclined to believe that the 1Up guys used software illegally, which you alone did not create, why are they not in court?   In my opinion, they are making big bucks off all your hard work, just like the X-in 1 guys.  Good for them.  :applaud:

The reason I post the way I did, is because you are wrong in your approach to the issue, and have gone past the point of no return in your comments.  Your behaviour is typical from previous posts and the reason why YOU GOT BANNED from Mameworld.  A coordinator and developer being banned from a forum because of some preventable and unforgettable behaviour, and I see nothing has changed since. I forgive you though.

Everyone knows I can be a cad, and that is their opinion, just like yours unfortunately.  I just call it as I see it.  It appears I am not alone in that thought.

p.s.

David, please be careful what you post online in forums.  Making statements such as yours in haste could land you into hot water.  Posting online is like posting in a newspaper.  I don't think the 1up guys did anything illegal, and your comments can hurt their future sales.  I can understand your anger, but consider this: new audiences are enjoying the games you helped bring back to life, and this was the goal of MAME as a nice side effect.  Remember?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 06:52:00 pm »

You probably think this is Mameworld, which is in decline, and yet you make unsubstantiated and blatant statements which you use (in a troll'esque method yourself) against a product that is successful.  If you are so inclined to believe that the 1Up guys used software illegally, which you alone did not create, why are they not in court?   In my opinion, they are making big bucks off all your hard work, just like the X-in 1 guys.  Good for them.  :applaud:

The reason I post the way I did, is because you are wrong in your approach to the issue, and have gone past the point of no return in your comments.  Your behaviour is typical from previous posts and the reason why YOU GOT BANNED from Mameworld.  A coordinator and developer being banned from a forum because of some preventable and unforgettable behaviour, and I see nothing has changed since. I forgive you though.

Everyone knows I can be a cad, and that is their opinion, just like yours unfortunately.  I just call it as I see it.  It appears I am not alone in that thought.

p.s.

David, please be careful what you post online in forums.  Making statements such as yours in haste could land you into hot water.  Posting online is like posting in a newspaper.  I don't think the 1up guys did anything illegal, and your comments can hurt their future sales.  I can understand your anger, but consider this: new audiences are enjoying the games you helped bring back to life, and this was the goal of MAME as a nice side effect.  Remember?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2019, 07:40:30 pm »
back on track....

less ikea flatpack.

more actual thought into proper construction. The machine is very hard to construct out of the box as strong, stable, unit. if you woodglue and or construction adhesive it together, it's not too bad... but it shouldn't be wobbly out the box.

the 3/4 size killed it. having to put it on a pedestal (at an additional cost i might add) to put it on... to get it to "not midget" height was not a good idea. while great for kids... this unit was not aimed at the 13 and under. TBH, 13 and under could care less about pacman... it's the 30-45 year olds they are/should have been targeting... and they aren't 4 foot.

the cabinet should have been designed in a way to have it full, proper playable height from the getgo. even if it meant making a bigger box to ship/sell it in, or designing the cabinet in 2 parts. hell, make it part of the design.

I have seen 100:1 threads of people making this machine into something OTHER than what the manufacturer sold it as, that tells you they did it wrong.