Arcade Collecting > Arcade1Up & Similar

Could the Arcade 1up thing have been succesful if handled differently?

<< < (16/16)

Zebra:

--- Quote from: Gilrock on March 07, 2019, 02:33:08 pm ---I've been itching to play Sega Rally Championship so that first cab looks pretty nice.  Is there a build thread around for that?  I can't find any member named JohnRT.

--- End quote ---

I think there might be one on YouTube. There is for the Outrun cabs anyway.

For Sega Ralley and Daytona, I'd put a PS3 inside and use one of the Logitech ffb wheels that sell for $30 on eBay these days. Bartop racer on the desk, pedals under the desk and everything is at the right height.

I kept an old Sony crt PC monitor in the garage with one of these in mind.

opt2not:

--- Quote from: Gilrock on March 07, 2019, 02:33:08 pm ---I've been itching to play Sega Rally Championship so that first cab looks pretty nice.  Is there a build thread around for that?  I can't find any member named JohnRT.

--- End quote ---
Looks like JohnRT nuked his account here.  He's still got some of his posts up, but they're missing pictures.

I did find a youtube video of his outrun bartop:

Can't remember who built that Sega Rally bartop.

--- Quote from: Zebra on March 07, 2019, 02:36:40 pm ---
--- Quote from: opt2not on March 07, 2019, 02:08:16 pm ---"Fullsized" bartops are completely playable. JohnRT's driving cabs are fine.

The miniture sized cabinets are just desk ornaments. Interesting to look at, but not really practical or useful for gaming.  The hipsters love 'em though.

--- End quote ---

Having comfortable controls is important but if people can enjoy playing on a Gameboy then a bartop is more than playable.

--- End quote ---
This statement doesn't make any sense, because the Gameboy is completely playable. In fact, I'd go so far to say it's comfortable for my hands.  I'm not arguing about bartops, I'm arguing against the "mini" sized cabinets that fit in the palm of your hand. Those minitures are just ornaments.

Zebra:

--- Quote from: opt2not on March 07, 2019, 02:46:20 pm ---

--- End quote ---
Looks like JohnRT nuked his account here.  He's still got some of his posts up, but they're missing pictures.

I did find a youtube video of his outrun bartop:

Can't remember who built that Sega Rally bartop.

--- Quote from: Zebra on March 07, 2019, 02:36:40 pm ---
--- Quote from: opt2not on March 07, 2019, 02:08:16 pm ---"Fullsized" bartops are completely playable. JohnRT's driving cabs are fine.

The miniture sized cabinets are just desk ornaments. Interesting to look at, but not really practical or useful for gaming.  The hipsters love 'em though.

--- End quote ---

Having comfortable controls is important but if people can enjoy playing on a Gameboy then a bartop is more than playable.

--- End quote ---
This statement doesn't make any sense, because the Gameboy is completely playable. In fact, I'd go so far to say it's comfortable for my hands.  I'm not arguing about bartops, I'm arguing against the "mini" sized cabinets that fit in the palm of your hand. Those minitures are just ornaments.

--- End quote ---

All but one of the cabs I posted pics of were bartops, not the little novelty cabs.

I'll reserve judgement on the 12" mini cabs until I try one but I don't think anyone would expect them to feel exactly like a full size. That doesn't mean they can't be made playable and fun though. As with a gameboy, it just requires a little design care.

The sort of set up I would be most likely to buy is a pair of linked bartop size racing cabs with a full size ffb wheel and seperate pedals under my desk. I have a Logitech ffb wheel for my PS3. One of those could easily fit a well designed bartop. Or a Star Wars bartop with yoke controls, or an afterburner cab with a decent analog stick etc.

The key point is that I want more added value and a better reason to buy one. With the current offering, I can't see what I gain over playing on a laptop with a cheap eBay fight stick. If they are only going to put one or two games in a cab, they need to do more to create an arcade-like experience imo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version