Arcade Collecting > Arcade1Up & Similar

Could the Arcade 1up thing have been succesful if handled differently?

<< < (2/16) > >>

keilmillerjr:
Forget about the games. A cheap multi board or pi could solve that. I’d buy one for my kids if it wasn’t a cheap piece of cr@p. I’d rather spend a little extra for a bartop or cocktail kit from a vendor on byoac. It would cost me maybe $100 more for a way better product.

Walmart is trying hard to get rid of them. Consumers too. I think it made its holiday money and is done. A slightly better product would still be selling on a normal schedule.

leapinlew:

--- Quote from: keilmillerjr on February 24, 2019, 05:01:41 pm ---Forget about the games. A cheap multi board or pi could solve that. I’d buy one for my kids if it wasn’t a cheap piece of cr@p. I’d rather spend a little extra for a bartop or cocktail kit from a vendor on byoac. It would cost me maybe $100 more for a way better product.

Walmart is trying hard to get rid of them. Consumers too. I think it made its holiday money and is done. A slightly better product would still be selling on a normal schedule.

--- End quote ---

Would love to see this $400 cocktail cabinet fully configured and ready to go.

keilmillerjr:

--- Quote from: leapinlew on February 24, 2019, 05:13:43 pm ---
--- Quote from: keilmillerjr on February 24, 2019, 05:01:41 pm ---Forget about the games. A cheap multi board or pi could solve that. I’d buy one for my kids if it wasn’t a cheap piece of cr@p. I’d rather spend a little extra for a bartop or cocktail kit from a vendor on byoac. It would cost me maybe $100 more for a way better product.

--- End quote ---

Would love to see this $400 cocktail cabinet fully configured and ready to go.

--- End quote ---

I didn’t say fully configured and ready to go. But for $100 more than the msrp on the 1up, I’d be at the same point in a hypothetical build.

What if they made something like the neo geo mini? 🤔 (not the new pos mini, the actual cabinet)

Zebra:

--- End quote ---

That is a fair point on the games. Maybe an empty cabinet with various options for switchable control panels would be better.

I agree with you that succesful products don't go to the bargain bin so quickly. That happens for one reason and one reason only. They didn't sell as well as expected leaving stores with product they could not sell. They don't need to discount succesful products (at least not in the first year).

Zebra:

--- Quote from: ark_ader on February 24, 2019, 04:30:46 pm ---What I have found is, themed products are very specific (duh) and require a special person or an impulse buy to shift it.  I like good old plain, add whatever artwork and controls, just don't make it too complicated.  Also for you CNC guys wanting a new idea.  Enclosed cockpits.  These are really hard to come by, especially those who like to game without interference from others or disturbance to the missus or the household.

Selling a inexpensive Elite Dangerous/FSX/Console cockpit (with adequate airflow) that is plain in nature would be a better bet.  They could do whatever in there and keep cables displays and computers in a nice tidy lockable environment.  The only negative is if you are claustrophobic.  You need something that can be practicable and private.  Arcade machines for the masses has been exhausted.   Having a flat pack cockpit design that can be adapted to arcade cockpit design like Star Wars or Star Trek is the next big thing IMO.

--- End quote ---

You would need an enormous CNC machine to make a fully enclosed cockpit. Your average 3 axis CNC router is limited to approx 3" depth of cut.

You'd need to use an enormous industrial 5 axis machine like they use to make foam mold plugs for the automotive industry. They would be more likely to use an injection molding process like they do for those pod chairs. But, given what happened with the current 1ups, I doubt anyone is rushing to invest in tooling for cockpit pods.

Incidentally, if you are looking for a more emersive pod-like experience, it might just be easier to start with a pod chair. I have one in my basement. They are sound-proofed inside and quite relaxing to sit in. I kept it to use in an arcade project one day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version