Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The bartop without a name  (Read 7178 times)

J_K_M_A_N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:11:07 pm
The bartop without a name
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:02:19 pm »
Well, I don't really like to start a thread about a new build as it takes me a REALLY long time to complete. I live in a town-home and I didn't have a lot of tools (that is getting better....shh...don't tell the wife). The garage is about the only space to work making sawdust and I do not want to park outside (especially in winter) so I have to cut and clean up right away. That is why it takes so long. BUT...for OND, I will start this thread.

I am working on an updated bartop. Some may have seen the first attempt here (which was not good). In my defense, I did not have a router or many other tools at that time. Not that many of you couldn't make something much nicer with less tools. :)

So, I am trying to make something updated using what I learned from that and with a lot more tools. I got a small router and a bigger one that I need to make a table for and a table saw. I had to get a fold up job site table saw due to space. I started this one about 2-3 months ago already and so far, I have the sides cut and matched up with the router and a trim bit. I have some pieces of wood glued and brad nailed in for support. Here is a picture of it just kind of laid together. Nothing is glued side to side yet.

I wanted this one a lot smaller and lighter. I plan on having a few buttons in the front panel and I will have plexi on the control panel and in front of the monitor. I was going to do full graphics but I already want to change things so this one will be completed as another learning experience. I will just paint and I have some heavy duty vinyl for the front panel and the control panel. I have a U360 coming soon (was supposed to be today but not with this snow). I bought the mounting plate with 4 way and 8 way restrictor to see how I would like to use it. I will test that before I use it.

I also want to take the monitor apart and paint the silver front black. I am thinking of getting a heavy black cardboard type of material and cutting out the bezel to put behind the plexi.

I probably won't update this much as it is tough to work in the winter with a lot of water in the garage. I will try and update when I can though.

J_K_M_A_N

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
Re: The bartop without a name
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 04:06:13 pm »
I did do a little work last night and it worked better than I had expected. I wanted to cut some slots for the mounting holes for the monitor. I had a big piece of wood from a failed attempt at making a router table so I routed out a groove in it and clamped some pieces to that to make some slots with the router. Here are some pictures of the set up.

It worked perfectly! I will use the same method to make speaker slots on the top panel (someday).

J_K_M_A_N

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 07:40:04 am »
Thanks for sharing J_K_M_A_N, this looks to be a nice cleanly built bartop in the works.  Before I ever got a router table I just used clamped wooden edges like you are doing.  The practice I got using a router in that way still proves useful.  Don't worry if your projects are lengthy _ I know all about that kind of thing  :-[  Just keep going when you can, and post it here.   :cheers:

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 04:59:23 pm »
Looks very clean. One of my first thoughts for my project was to go with a bartop. The size looks much better than a gigantic beast.

Will this be a 1 player machine? What controls do you plan on adding?

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:14:06 pm »
It will be 1 player again this time. My first one was pretty bad so this is still a learning project. I think a final one will be a bar top still but with a widescreen monitor and 2 player. At this point it will be 1 U360 with 4 buttons (I am old and don't play any fighters). I would like to add a small trackball but probably not on this one. I am liking the smaller size so far though. Easier to lug around. The weather is almost nice enough to get more work done.

J_K_M_A_N

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:36:49 pm »
Not sure when/where I played a game with a smaller trackball, they are kinda nice. Maybe it was setup on a computer or laptop. Definitely nice when you don’t have much space. I’m kind of stuck with the larger one I have though, but I imagine it will be nice for our littlest one. Though she might be a lot older by the time I finish!  ;)

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:24:33 pm »
A little progress was made. (A lot for me :))

I routed out the speaker holes Nintendo style. I used an up spiral bit from Home Depot and a board with a slot in it for the bit to go into. I lined it up and clamped a yard stick for a straight line and tried to block off each side for stops so I wouldn't go too far. It worked on both sides on the smaller ones but not the bigger ones so I had to try and eye those up. I think it got better as I went along.

It turned out pretty good. I did wobble a tiny bit but that is only really noticeable up close.

They seem fairly even. Close enough to look decent. I think I could do a little better if I did it again but I don't know if I will. I just wanted to try it out.

It was at least something. It has been quite a while since I could do anything in the garage. Feels good to be out there again. I can't wait to do more.

J_K_M_A_N

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:24:20 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 01:24:53 am »
If you want to give it another try, here's a link on how to do it. How to Route a Nintendo Speaker Grill

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 10:15:37 pm »
I got a little more work done today. Everything is glued together and most of it has brad nails in it to help hold and let the glue dry. The control panel and speaker panel will be removable so they are screwed in. I will take more pics in the near future when I finish the back up. I need to cut one more board.

The plexiglass that is in there is just a test piece for sizing. I had some old scrapped up stuff lying around. Any idea where to order some cut to size? When I cut it the one way, it was very clean and then I cut the other side and it chipped like crazy. I used my table saw with a 60 tooth blade. I guess if I need to do it myself again, I will just use the router with a trim bit.

That is all for now.

J_K_M_A_N
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:44:22 pm by J_K_M_A_N »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 05:07:21 am »
Next time take out your blade and remount it backwards. I use an 80 tooth blade mounted backwards and it cuts pretty clean. How big is the piece you need? I may be able to cut you one with my laser.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 01:25:25 pm »
Images aren't showing up for me.  :(

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 02:54:30 pm »
Images aren't showing up for me.  :(

They are hosted on this site so I am not sure why not...

J_K_M_A_N

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 02:27:04 am »
Ah, I found the pics posted in the images thread. Looking good! Are the buttons/hole on the front for 1 & 2 player and coin? Will you have admin buttons, and would they end up on the control panel or somewhere else?

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 07:05:50 am »
I think the buttons on the front will be exit and speed up. The hole in the middle is for a dual USB port extender. I will have a U360 and 4 buttons on the control panel with a coin, player 1, player 2 and a pause button. I really only need 3 buttons for the games I play but I want the fourth button for setting up favorites mostly.

At this point they will be regular Happ buttons but someday maybe I will put in LED buttons. I have not used them before so I need to get some and see how I like the feel. They do look pretty cool.

J_K_M_A_N

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 11:00:39 pm »
I little more progress on this. I added a back door with some magnets. I did not do a great job on it as the whole thing is slightly tilted. I had to sand down the top on one side and I should have sanded down some on the top and some on the bottom. I am hoping with paint, it will look a little better. Here are some pics.

I also took some shots of the insides to show how I put it together. The speaker board and control panel will be attached with screws.

And a couple shots of the speakers attached and how they look installed.

That is all for now. I picked up some primer so I will start painting soon. I hope to put at least two coats of primer sanding in between coats. Then 2-3 coats of paint once I figure out what color I am going to go with.

If anyone has any name ideas, I have NONE still. I have no creativity when it comes to that (everything that comes to my mind has 'cade' in it). I may want to have some graphics on it also so I will have to hire someone to help with that. :(

J_K_M_A_N

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 02:50:10 pm »
That's coming along super nice. I really like the magnet latch. Great idea for a small bartop. Hinges were one of the pain points on my first build, so I'm not looking forward to tackling that again.

What size monitor are you  using?

As for names, I think people might need a little more to go on. The only thing that springs to mind right now is "Star Bar", with some scifi artwork adorning it.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 02:58:53 pm »
It is a 19" 4:3 monitor. I wanted this one much smaller for transport.

As for naming, I have zero ideas. That is the problem. It is not like I am leaning toward one thing or another. I am not a huge sci-fi person but I would not care if it was a sci-fi name. Just any ideas. Star Bar would work just as well as anything else. :) I like that it would easily incorporate backgrounds for graphics.

I did buy these feet from amazon. They are VERY nice. Heavy duty with a nice grip on the feet. And they come with t-nuts which is nice. I will post pics once I mount them.

J_K_M_A_N

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 09:41:19 am »
You could try to invent a game and make the cab/artwork revolve around that.  Pick a theme (sci-fi, robots, monsters, spaceships, aliens - whatever) and then think up a name that would work for a game... like "Space Monsters" or "Robot Invaders" or whatever and then design the art around that.  If you are willing to spend a little money you could get it commissioned and it will look really cool (and unique).

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 03:45:59 pm »
I think artwork or colors generally help inspire the name. Maybe if you line up an artist, they will help provide some ideas.

I don't recall the process for coming up with the marquee/theme, but I leaned towards SciFi. Partially because the SciFi arcade games of my time stuck out to me, especially the artwork. I figured it would also make it easier to "borrow" artwork from games because I'm not much of an artist myself. Somewhere along the way I came up with a name and that became the antagonist that would get featured in the art. Kinda like "Sinistar". So in essence, I had an imaginary game in my head, which I think is what javeryh was suggesting. All I had to do next is keep tying that original antagonist into the artwork for side panels, control panel, and front end. Unfortunately, that never happened...but maybe I'll finally get a chance to tackle that in try #2.

I like those feet, pretty slick!

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 04:38:34 pm »
Yeah. I don't know if I will do much with this one as it is still practice for now. I will probably put much more into the next one (and probably last for me) which will be a two player with more stuff. I may just get some really basic controls and stuff for the CP and a generic marquee on this one. We will see how the paint looks. :)

J_K_M_A_N

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 04:44:30 pm »
How about don't have a name?  When I started my MAME cabinet thread titled Gil's No Name Mame Cab I was poking fun at how everyone thinks they need a fancy name.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:26 pm »
Well, I got 3 coats of primer and 1 coat of paint on it so far.

I went with the Behr Race Car Strip Red in a semi gloss finish. I am going to use a dark navy blue t-molding. I am now thinking of getting some CP art done with just some clean lines going across and up maybe. I will see how this looks when I am done painting it and start putting it together. I hope to do 3 coats of paint but knowing me....2 coats.

J_K_M_A_N

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 01:17:06 pm »
looks real good thus far. sideart would be awesome with a big giant Captain America Shield  :cheers:

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 06:18:18 pm »
Have you thought about the internals? 

Small PC or PI?

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2019, 09:48:42 pm »

Small PC or PI?

It will be a PI3 again (3rd one). I like how small they are and I am cheap so I use the GPIO pins for inputs. Also, I do not need a lot of horsepower for what I like to play. To be honest, I like to build them more than play them. :)

J_K_M_A_N

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2019, 04:14:57 am »

Small PC or PI?

It will be a PI3 again (3rd one). I like how small they are and I am cheap so I use the GPIO pins for inputs. Also, I do not need a lot of horsepower for what I like to play. To be honest, I like to build them more than play them. :)

J_K_M_A_N
What monitor are you using.

Can you tell me its dimentions?

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2019, 09:13:12 am »

What monitor are you using.

Can you tell me its dimentions?

It is an HP LA1956x monitor. I am leaving it in the case for ease of mounting but I am going to take the case apart and paint the front black instead of silver. And while I have that apart, I will use that to cut a hole in some black poster board for a bezel.

J_K_M_A_N

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 06:33:23 pm »
Some progress. I am done with paint and I now know I suck at painting. And I used some cheaper plywood. I will use better next time.

I still need to figure out my CP layout and graphics and the marquee. Mount the PI inside and wire everything. Not much else. Getting there. Here are the pics.

Power connector on the side instead of the back. I like it better there so you can push it back to a wall.

Speaker amp. I am not wild about how that worked. I should have taken it apart and flush mounted it. You can see past it but oh well.

I like the front. I will probably keep the white buttons as I like to colors together. Needs t-molding on the CP.

I couldn't get paint in the speaker grill area well and I gave up figuring people will not look up there. :(

The feet work great. I highly recommend them. Link in an earlier post.

It's the back...what can you say. Not a great cut but it closes. I need to add a grill on the inside for venting. It is just a hole right now.

Inside where the Pi will mount. I have not wired the strip to the switch yet but that is very easy.

I did learn that you should line up the t-molding with the INSIDE of the cabinet. I had to shave off some of the t-molding to get the CP and glass inside. Not happy about that. I wish 3/4 plywood was actually 3/4" and it would line up on both sides. :( Lesson for the next one. I also know I can't have any straight lines on the marquee. It got a little tweaked when putting it together and the right side is about 1/8" shorter height than the left side. If I use a plain background or some kind of star field type thing it should be OK.

J_K_M_A_N

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 02:25:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 09:09:17 pm »
That bezel is pretty dope, it’s ok to play with the corners missing?

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 09:52:55 pm »
I think you may be seeing the reflection on the plexiglass. I just have a piece of black poster board cut to size with the middle cut out. It is full square. Not rounded.

J_K_M_A_N

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 02:25:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 04:00:00 am »
lol, well the pictures are cool.. nice work man

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 10:42:53 am »
Turned out really nice! Is the red more red in person? Never can tell with images/lighting sometimes.

For the speaker grill, I think I would try masking the painted side and spraying the other side/interior with some black spray paint. Like you said though, chances are people won't see it and it doesn't appear that noticeable in the pics.

It's been fun watching this bartop come to life!

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 01:04:46 pm »
Thanks.

It is definitely more red in person IMO. It does look a little weird in the pictures. Cheap phone. Easier than using a real camera though. :)

J_K_M_A_N

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 10:39:55 pm »
Somewhat small update. I did add LED's to the marquee. I do not have a picture of that partly because I just printed a generic MAME marquee on plain paper and taped it together (as you will see in the pics).

One thing I thought I would mention. I am sure most of you do not need this info but, if you are using player 1 and player 2 buttons and you have them close together like this:

and they both point the switches the same way like this (making it difficult to put the wires on the switch legs):

you can take the switch off and when you press the button, you can see the "legs". Push those together and push them out through the holes until it is far enough out to rotate it 180 degrees. When you push it back in and line it up, the switches will be pointing away from each other like so:

That will help you get the connectors on the legs of the switches. Only needed for player 1 and player 2 buttons as regular buttons can just be rotated to point any which way.

Here are a couple pics of the CP drilled and some generic vinyl added on.

It is not wired and set to play yet but it doesn't look too bad. I will probably make a new CP though once I figure out graphics. I think I would need to put the printed vinyl on and then drill holes. I am not sure how you guys line that crap up.

I will also be using different colors for the buttons. I could not find my box o buttons so I had to use some that I had lying around.

That is all for now. I will wire this and make it playable as is as it will probably take me quite a while to figure out a name and get graphics done. Thanks for checking it out.

J_K_M_A_N

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 11:48:00 am »
Looks good J_K_M_A_N, keep going!  With some good artwork that thing will look really nice. Thanks for posting your work. 

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 09:22:03 pm »
I like to think they are getting better.

The first one is on the left. I did not have a lot of tools when I made that.

The second one is on the right. That was kind of a practice run for some of the new tools. Mostly the router. I did not do a project thread on that as I wasn't even sure I would finish it.

The current one in the middle is now playable. I have RGBCommander working with the Ultrastik 360. I am REALLY starting to like that joystick. It feels really nice playing Donkey Kong. I was not sure if I would like it without a restrictor . I even bought a mag stik plus to rotate from the top (didn't want to go straight to the servostik). I did not care for it actually.

I still need to add games and tweak the software a bit. I also need a damn name! Then I can get some graphics. (No I am not going to keep the generic old MAME marquee printed on plain paper and taped together.  :) ) I would like to get something on the CP and for the front. I want the words printed near the buttons to show what they are for. The front is exit and speedup.

That is all for now. Hopefully someday I will figure out a name and finish this.

J_K_M_A_N

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 10:36:15 am »
Looks really nice. I love the progression pic. The downside is that every time I see this thread, I think about how cool it would be to make a bartop too! I have to get my standup done first though.