Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: malafe.net Website & latest Mala FE news  (Read 28058 times)

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
malafe.net Website & latest Mala FE news
« on: February 17, 2019, 02:52:19 am »
Hello,

Of late I have more time on my hands so I fired the old Arcade cab .

I undated to windows 10 and MAME was running sluggish.....

Anyway long story short. What I discovered is:

- Mala isn't really setup to easily use recent versions of Mame
- The website malafe.net has a google unsafe status on it
https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=http:%2F%2Fmalafe.net%2F&hl=en-US

- The Website hosting had expired.   opps... ran out of cash $$$

I will fix this by throwing my own cash at hosting soon and fix the website with the latest version.

If you use the new website (after I fix it) please consider a small donation as Mala is very much a non profit project (just ask my wife  :P ).

Simon
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:57:47 am by loadman »

rdethloff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 03:59:10 pm
Re: malafe.net Website & latest Mala FE news
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 03:59:10 pm »
Nice, good to hear this excellent front-end might be getting a bit of a refresh! I've been using it with Win10 and MAME 0.183 for a year and a half or so and it is mostly fine.

I get an occasional crash but haven't experienced it with the error logging on yet so I'm not sure if it's software or hardware...

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 05:59:15 pm »
Update:
1) I have the website up but don't want to upload content until I can get it off Googles browsing unsafe list.

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.malafe.net%2F&hl=en-GB

I have logged a review with them but so far nothing. Crazy as there is nothing on the website at the moment.

Any ideas?

2) I have an issue with my source code repository and building environment. It was on a PC that no longer exists but I have two copies of the drives. Getting Perforce and Delphi to run and be happy with the licence is an upcoming task.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 06:04:17 pm »
I'd chip in for hosting!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Rattus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2024, 09:09:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:08:53 pm »
Thanks for the work Loadman, I have been using MaLa for years
I don't update my cabs often but it would be great to know that I will be able to continue to use MaLa when I do.
I will send a donation as soon as the website is updated with a link.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:40:54 am »
Holy.....
I never thought I'd see Mala revived.
 :applaud:

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 01:50:54 am »
Update:
1) I have the website up but don't want to upload content until I can get it off Googles browsing unsafe list.

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=http:%2F%2Fwww.malafe.net%2F&hl=en-GB

I have logged a review with them but so far nothing. Crazy as there is nothing on the website at the moment.

Any ideas?

Still an issue :-(

2) I have an issue with my source code repository and building environment. It was on a PC that no longer exists but I have two copies of the drives. Getting Perforce and Delphi to run and be happy with the licence is an upcoming task.
Good news on this point. Source code version control is working I am able to build Mala again :-)

Kapistijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2019, 05:37:47 am
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 09:24:39 am »
Update:

Any ideas?

Still an issue :-(
Hey Loadman,

I am new to this forum but not to Mala, thx for this excellent front end.  :notworthy:
I've been using Mala since I started building cabinets and arcade-pc's. One of the best there is imo (at least without being a rocket scientist :D).

For the Google blacklisting:

Maybe request a second review?  :dunno
We had this with our company website and had to request several reviews before our website was whitelisted.

And maybe another Idea is to start a completely fresh website like malafe.info or mala-fe.net?

Really hope you get this sorted out.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:26:18 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 02:43:45 pm »
hellooooooooo

any updated news?

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 09:46:35 pm »
Yes, that web alert has been around for faaar too long. Nuke it, and replace with something like 'newmalafe.net' . Also you might ask for donations. I will donate.

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2024, 02:32:16 pm
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 10:25:12 am »
My one and only huge request: add a way to run multiple .EXE files from the otherEMU tab. For example, I have many Stand alone PC programs that I want to be able to select, such as Simpsons Hit and Run, Counter Strike, Tiger Woods 08, etc.

Currently, the only way I can run them is to create an emulator for each game. I have tons of stand-alone PC games so this makes for way too many emu screen. I want to be able to add a single screen for "PC Games" where I can scroll through my list of games, hit start, and the game runs. I have been unable to figure this out on the beta version 1.82. You can only point to one .exe file and not one for each game. Make sense? Is this already possible, if so, how????

EDIT: googled this again and figured it out. Don't put in a path to an exe file, just make a folder full of shortcuts and point the rom path at that. Will test if this works tonight.

If you need any help with your site just PM me. I am a front end web guy as a profession. Love your work, wait til you see mine in action. I've been working on my design for years now. Love MALA.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:36:28 am by nickels »
D'oh!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 01:21:13 pm »
Hope you got it running. I have it set up that way and it works for me, if you need a hand let me know and I will figure out what I did and step you through it

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 03:39:28 pm »
Hope you got it running. I have it set up that way and it works for me, if you need a hand let me know and I will figure out what I did and step you through it

I eventually got it working. The main thing for anyone searching is that the file name for the shortcut has to exactly match the exe's file name.

OK now I do have one more item on the MALA wish list. Better MP4 support. I could make some crazy animated backgrounds for this making MALA compete with modern front ends if only it was more flawless with supporting large mp4 files.
D'oh!

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 03:00:09 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 07:13:33 pm »
Any update on this? I would be happy to donate as well.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 08:41:11 pm »
:( I don't think so

But since we're talking about it, running Mala in Windows 10 it is viewed as an "older program" and therefore will only respond to one joystick, the one defined in the windows advanced /gamepad joystick dialogue "Select the device you want to use for older programs". I use 2 U360s and it causes me grief because I use player one for some stuff and controls on player two to control other elements, mostly the music.

heyyouguys

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 03:00:09 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 10:18:05 pm »

But since we're talking about it, running Mala in Windows 10 it is viewed as an "older program" and therefore will only respond to one joystick, the one defined in the windows advanced /gamepad joystick dialogue "Select the device you want to use for older programs". I use 2 U360s and it causes me grief because I use player one for some stuff and controls on player two to control other elements, mostly the music.

Thanks.

If running windows 7, do you have the same issue?

mjthompson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2020, 01:03:18 pm
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 09:09:24 am »

I'm running MaLa on Windows10 with two U360s, a dedicated 4-way, 2 spinners and a trackball.  I don't use the Player2 U360 often but everything has been working for me for quite a while. 

That all being said I've been trying to get RetroArch running under MaLa for console emulation and I'm having trouble getting it to recognize the U360s... so I've been reconfiguring a *LOT* and I don't know what state anything is in at the moment.   I'll try using P2 tonight to see if it's still working. 

I've also messed around with RetroPie because I like the ease of backup.  I had trouble with the U360s under RetroArch there too but I think I convinced myself to stay on Windows because I really like the flexibility of MaLa.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:11:52 am by mjthompson »
The Lineup - Monster Bash remake LE #955, Attack from Mars remake LE #361, Medieval Madness remake LE #126, The Addams Family, White Water, Valley Model 35

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 06:26:46 pm »
If running windows 7, do you have the same issue?

My old PC was windows xp, and the new one is windows 10. I'm also using an older version of mame because I set it all up the way I like it and dont want to mess anything up. I can't seem to get win 7 to install on the computer for some reason, but am hoping to get it going in time for my birthday January 25.

mjthompson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2020, 01:03:18 pm
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 10:32:37 pm »

I'm running MaLa on Windows10 with two U360s, a dedicated 4-way, 2 spinners and a trackball.  I don't use the Player2 U360 often but everything has been working for me for quite a while. 

That all being said I've been trying to get RetroArch running under MaLa for console emulation and I'm having trouble getting it to recognize the U360s... so I've been reconfiguring a *LOT* and I don't know what state anything is in at the moment.   I'll try using P2 tonight to see if it's still working. 

I've also messed around with RetroPie because I like the ease of backup.  I had trouble with the U360s under RetroArch there too but I think I convinced myself to stay on Windows because I really like the flexibility of MaLa.
Both of the U360s are working in MAME.   

I still can't get RetroArch to configure the U360s so I can't do any console emulation.  Does anyone have any tips on getting the U360s working in RetroArch (under MaLa or stand-alone)?
The Lineup - Monster Bash remake LE #955, Attack from Mars remake LE #361, Medieval Madness remake LE #126, The Addams Family, White Water, Valley Model 35

jacob.1992

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 21, 2020, 12:53:06 pm
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 06:23:08 pm »
Hey guys, I'm a bit new here. I have used Mame and MaLa in the past but not enough to know it fluently. Last fooled around with it 100% was a good 5 years ago, I had an Arcade desktop that had died and I was unable to look at all of my settings. I want to create another arcade build, alas the OS that I wish to run is a Windows 7 x86 (32-bit platform). I have searched near and far to try and find the compatible software for MaLa and Mame so that I can streamline all of my emulators (Sega, Nintendo, etc) and all of my ROMs.

I have not really had any previous luck with MAME and MaLa on Windows 10, doesn't seem to want to operate, as far as running the application.
Perhaps I have been missing something or doing things wrong, if anyone could give some kind of guidance. I prefer Win7 and to utilize Mame and MaLa as I am able to change background images with my personal pictures and modify BGM for the layout,as well as configuring the controller/gamepad layout.

Joaquim2020

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 07:47:06 am
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 07:33:27 am »
Hi Loadman, i hope you can able to get back your precious website.  :'(

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 03:19:19 am »
OOoo looks like the website is off the bad list

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 06:56:49 pm »
Good to see you back Loadman!
Are you still using Borland Delphi IDE?

RichardAE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 05:39:12 pm
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2020, 10:50:14 am »
Loadman,

First, where can we donate? I see that there is text for the "new Mala website coming soon..." but I think those of us who have proven Mala over the years want to say "thank you" and encourage you to continue. If you have a Venmo or Paypal or some other quick way we can send you a few bucks it would reduce the amount of guilt we feel.

Also, a major "Thank You" to your wife. She should know the amount of joy you have brought the geek community. I have spent about 6 hours a day on video calls in the last few months for my job, and in the background is my full-sized arcade machine running Mala. Those who haven't directly asked me questions about it I can usually see staring past me and grinning at what is behind me.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:41:59 pm by RichardAE »

wcndave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2021, 03:37:36 am
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 02:28:32 pm »
I have used MaLa in my cab since 2012.
It was the only one that did all I wanted, with relative ease.
I made a lot of nice designs for it, learned how to use the layout tool etc...

I want to say how much I appreciate the effort, and that when it's a hobby, done in one's own time, it's unfair to expect constant development and updates for a decade. As a maker I have contributed to many things, and then let them slide, although none that were software used by so many.

I need to update my computer, and MAME looks to have lots of changes since my version of 0.147.
@Loadman resurfaced for a few weeks in early 2019, and then wasn't back until Aug 2020, (which is fair enough as I said above), so I will be leaving my heartfelt thanks, and moving on to another more "in development" FE.

FWIW I have chosed AttractMode.  It's incredibly simple, and can be made to do some really nice stuff, multi-emulator and nice straightforward config files.  I haven't yet found anything I don't do that I want to.

Again, so many thanks to loadman!

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2020, 07:04:33 pm »
OOoo looks like the website is off the bad list

Hi Loadman, long time no talk!   8)   How can I donate for website hosting, etc...?

wolfsoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2023, 07:54:14 am
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 02:53:39 am »
@loadman

any news about a update for mala. It is still my favorite frontend.
Hope all is going well on your side.
have fun

http://www.blog.wolfsoft.de for arcade tutorials
http://www.wolfsoft.de for our website

nickels

• Offline Offline
  • Old nerd.
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2021, 12:04:55 pm »
Is it safe to assume a new MALA FE is never coming? I had hope a few years ago, but that has faded. Oh well, at least my old version is still working great.
D'oh!

Joaquim2020

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2021, 08:24:25 am »
loadman make sure you can get a backup of your website to get the files we are missing.

Joaquim2020

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 08:21:46 am »
I know this topic has not been posted after at least 120 days.
I just wanna tell if loadman was able to get back is website or at least share us the layouts database because i want it.
PM me if necessary.
Thanks.  :)

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!

Joaquim2020

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2022, 07:44:49 am »
You can try the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171216045509/http://malafe.net/index.php?page=download

I already did that, but saldy a few Layouts are missing.  :-\