Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Guncon2 on latest Groovymame?  (Read 19505 times)

pubjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:13:07 pm
Re: Guncon2 on latest Groovymame?
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2019, 04:58:55 am »
Ahhh, I wasn’t aware of that adapter at the time.  I just stupidly tried it with a generic PS1 pad adapter.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 04:36:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2019, 07:35:44 am »
Enabled csync on vmm, removed vsync wire, removed resistor, connected everything back, connected the ems usb2 converter, g-con 45 now works.  ;D

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2019, 07:58:38 am »
No doubt, the namco gun is very accurate, only had to raise the brightness to 1.3 within mame for it to be accurate, with my other guns i had to raise it to about 1.5-1.7 for them to be as accurate.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2019, 08:32:01 am »
Enabled csync on vmm, removed vsync wire, removed resistor, connected everything back, connected the ems usb2 converter, g-con 45 now works.  ;D

Does the rolling-x issue still exist this way?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2019, 08:36:59 am »

Does the rolling-x issue still exist this way?
No. But that is because it's guncon1 and not the ps2 guncon2, i am using a converter for it to work. But nevertheless, it's worth the hassle in my opinion, it's a fantastic light gun.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2019, 10:01:26 am »
I gave this converter quite a run, i wanted to make sure that it doesn't introduce any lag and i'm glad to say that there's none that i could detect.
I used it on the desktop as a mouse to see the responsiveness, And the tracking is perfect, no lag whatsoever.
After trying IR guns and ending up disappointed, it's so nice to finally use something this good, really makes lightgun games fun.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2019, 01:43:56 pm »
I haven't had time to try the gun yet, I need to figure out how to wire the sync line into the rca, I was going to try this with my cabinet so I guess I should wire it from jamma's pin 13 which already is c-sync. I'm afraid to short the JPAC if not done properly.

I've been thinking of the rolling-x issue. You said the gun sets itself for 100 Hz. How does it look when that happens? I've never tried this so I'd like to know how it is so I can recognize it when I see it.

I wonder if the issue has to do with the gun expecting interlaced video from the Playstation 2 and being confused by progressive video from MAME. Have you tried the Namco gun with interlaced video?

I don't have 100hz issues on mine. I'm not sure what intelligence is in the actual gun to set the refresh rate a Groovymame sets that.

Is this the "rolling x" issue being discussed?

If it is, it would explain why I haven't perceived an issue. That happens when you point the gun away from the screen so it loses position and regains it when you point the gun at the screen again. It looks alarming on the calibration screen but there is no crosshairs onscreen during the actual games (on real light gun games).

So far it hasn't effected my accuracy on Time Crisis but I'll give the GC1 a try to see if I prefer it. I have one of those ems light gun adapters here.

I have an act labs gun here too but so far, I have preferred my GC2.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:06:45 pm by Zebra »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2019, 01:52:34 pm »
Guncon2 is what most of us have, it's arguably the most precise and best lightgun made for the consumer market. If that only works with third party guns that's already a pretty severe limitation in of itself. :/

I'd rather not play at all than use any of my 3rd part PS2 guns. I have a lot but only the official Namco GC1 and GC2 are accurate enough to feel like the arcade.

Putting a Namco lens in a 3rd party gun helps shots register at the dimmer screen edges but nothing seems to make them accurate. The difference is huge.

I've been replacing the electronics in my 3rd party recoil guns with the official GC2 boards to make them work properly.

pubjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:13:07 pm
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2019, 02:37:01 pm »
Speaking of recoil, mRCaESaR here made a great guncon modification using Namco arcade clackerclackers.

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37912&p=495549
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:42:01 pm by pubjoe »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2019, 05:29:06 pm »
Speaking of recoil, mRCaESaR here made a great guncon modification using Namco arcade clackerclackers.

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37912&p=495549

The great thing about that mod is that you don't have to change much. The GC2 uses the same 3 leg sensor as the arcade tc 1, 2 and 3 guns. You just remove the GC2 sensor and solder 3 wires from the arcade gun and you can use an original unmoddified arcade gun.

I converted some Super Jolt recoil guns to GC2 but I had to buy an arcade gun sensor board to make it all fit.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2019, 05:16:20 am »
I haven't had time to try the gun yet, I need to figure out how to wire the sync line into the rca, I was going to try this with my cabinet so I guess I should wire it from jamma's pin 13 which already is c-sync. I'm afraid to short the JPAC if not done properly.

I've been thinking of the rolling-x issue. You said the gun sets itself for 100 Hz. How does it look when that happens? I've never tried this so I'd like to know how it is so I can recognize it when I see it.

I wonder if the issue has to do with the gun expecting interlaced video from the Playstation 2 and being confused by progressive video from MAME. Have you tried the Namco gun with interlaced video?

I don't have 100hz issues on mine. I'm not sure what intelligence is in the actual gun to set the refresh rate a Groovymame sets that.

Is this the "rolling x" issue being discussed?

If it is, it would explain why I haven't perceived an issue. That happens when you point the gun away from the screen so it loses position and regains it when you point the gun at the screen again. It looks alarming on the calibration screen but there is no crosshairs onscreen during the actual games (on real light gun games).

So far it hasn't effected my accuracy on Time Crisis but I'll give the GC1 a try to see if I prefer it. I have one of those ems light gun adapters here.

I have an act labs gun here too but so far, I have preferred my GC2.
I've included a video of the rolling-x in action: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YgllTADNaW_PjFV971jxFnu102OGzEfw
You're not seeing that on your setup because you use wingun, which has a fix for it, though not a perfect one for dark games like house of the dead 3.
Please read this to understand the issues with the rolling-x on wingun:
"--Troubleshooting/Known problems:--

The Rolling X problem is not fully fixable, we do not have all the information we need. Because of this, support for guns in Rolling X mode is a hack. The user MUST do the following with guns in Rolling X mode:

When bringing the gun back onscreen from being offscreen, it must be done on the left or right side of the display. It cannot be on the top or bottom of the display.

The gun should not be jerked from side to side, smooth motions work best.

Guns in rolling x mode will always experience these problems:

After pointing to a black or dark spot for a second or so, the gun may skip to the other side of the screen. Simply wave it offscreen then back on, or across the center in order to regain correct positioning.

The gun cannot be moved across a dark center screen. If this situation occurs, you will need to bring the gun to the section you need to point at from the left/right edge (whichever is closer).

Some guns (specifically the Namco official one) will jump to the center of the screen occasionally. This can cause the gun to move to the wrong side of the screen the same way a black spot can. I have done all I can to fix this, the gun is returning an incorrect position when it is in a darker but not black area.

For all guns with the rolling x problem, you might have best luck shooting targets on the egdes of the screen by bringing the gun onscreen from the closest left/right edge."

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2019, 06:07:57 am »
Foxhole, the link to the driver you provided, is from some third party gun manufacturer I guess?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2019, 06:44:12 am »
Indeed, though i am pretty sure that these drivers are actually based on the original smog guncon drivers.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2019, 06:12:27 pm »
Foxhole, the link to the driver you provided, is from some third party gun manufacturer I guess?

Are you planning to work on the EMS Topgun 3 drivers instead of Wingun?

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2019, 12:19:52 pm »
As an FYI, if you want to see what the actual Namco USB gun drivers look like, they are on a labeled file on the Time Crisis 2 and 3 ISO.

u-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 05:57:09 am
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2021, 07:42:40 am »
Sorry for bringing back a maybe old thread. I think the best choice would be to have a Namco Guncon shell and install the bluetooth upgrade kit from aimtrak + LED bar. You can use a microswitch for the trigger. This way you will have a wireless lightgun that works on 64bit Windows. I ordered everything and will report my results. This is a 50-60 Euro budget project and you earn a Aimtrak precise, wireless lightgun.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

sonik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 10:52:59 am
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2021, 09:33:17 pm »
I'm writing a guncon2 driver for windows10. It can map the movement to joystick or mouse.
I can't find a way to send commands to the gun. So I think it change it's mode based on the sync signal.
We might need to make some reverse engineering on the games to see how they set the gun mode.
BTW I'm also planing to make a guncon1 to guncon2 converter using an arduino.

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 09:04:11 am
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2021, 05:14:49 pm »
That's fantastic news. I got two guncon 2s recently for my ps2 but would love the variety of games I could play through groovymame.
Sinden is just not an option for me for CRT lightguns due to the white border

makya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2023, 06:58:12 pm
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2021, 11:17:42 am »

Hi Foxhole, could you please elaborate a little on how you got the GCon working on W7x64?

I got an EMS dualshooter, a UMSA and will receive a GCon1 soon. From what I understand, I will need topgun driver and find a way to retrieve csync signal, that's correct? did I miss anything?

Thanks

holaplaneta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2023, 09:23:54 pm
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2022, 04:36:59 am »
I'm writing a guncon2 driver for windows10. It can map the movement to joystick or mouse.
I can't find a way to send commands to the gun. So I think it change it's mode based on the sync signal.
We might need to make some reverse engineering on the games to see how they set the gun mode.
BTW I'm also planning to make a guncon1 to guncon2 converter using an arduino.

Hi there! Did this project happen? I am very curious to see if I can use my official Guncon2s with Groovymame on a CRT. Thanks!

Daniel B.

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 05:19:20 pm
  • Lightgun and Point Blank enthusiast
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2023, 07:11:58 pm »
so what is the best way to use GC2 namco on windows?

I guess I'll try the topgun drivers and see!
Namco Exceleena II (red) | Sega Astro City (needs ms9 monitor work)

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 12:18:54 pm
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2023, 03:47:59 am »
For GunCon2 on Windows:
 - https://github.com/psakhis/guncon2

For GM add gunlight plugin on it:
 - https://github.com/psakhis/gunlight

For nes/snes/psx/saturn, emu4crt has gunlight shader:
 - https://github.com/psakhis/emu4crt

Daniel B.

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 05:19:20 pm
  • Lightgun and Point Blank enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2023, 04:53:22 pm »
For GunCon2 on Windows:
 - https://github.com/psakhis/guncon2

For GM add gunlight plugin on it:
 - https://github.com/psakhis/gunlight

For nes/snes/psx/saturn, emu4crt has gunlight shader:
 - https://github.com/psakhis/emu4crt

Thank you so much for this. I did end up hacking my old ps2 fat and added Gunvari+Time crisis ISO from Japan. It's all 3 point blank games and time crisis that work natively with the guncon2. Because point blank is really my most wanted gun game, It fits my need but I'm eager to try to get it working on windows/mame.

Time to order a second, and I will order the guncon1's as well so I can play point blank with english translation, even if on a ps1.

Namco Exceleena II (red) | Sega Astro City (needs ms9 monitor work)