Software Support > GroovyMAME

Guncon2 on latest Groovymame?

<< < (2/13) > >>

Dacasks:
Take a look on this topic

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=154492.0

There's a new alternative that works on newer Windows OSes, but as I said there (last post), it's not worth the way it's now.

It's a good try though. It doesn't work that good, and sadly the guy that was working on it apparently gave up.

I tried the "Wiimote" alternative sometime ago... but it sucked as well. Don't know if was my setup. I didn't try too hard though, perhaps I should go back into it.

Neilalphazeta:
Thanks for the link. Pity the creator stopped work on it. :(

--- Quote from: Calamity on February 18, 2019, 08:12:33 am ---Using 32 bit Windows just because of those drivers is a mistake, you'd better look for an alternative gun that has support for modern OSes. If only the guy that originally made the drivers had provided the source code, I'd volunteer to port them to 64-bits, just to avoid people sticking to dead operating systems.

--- End quote ---
Thank you Calamity. I wish he had shared them too.  ;D

Zebra:

--- Quote from: Calamity on February 18, 2019, 08:12:33 am ---Using 32 bit Windows just because of those drivers is a mistake, you'd better look for an alternative gun that has support for modern OSes. If only the guy that originally made the drivers had provided the source code, I'd volunteer to port them to 64-bits, just to avoid people sticking to dead operating systems.

--- End quote ---

If you feel like a driver project, how about picking up this one for the Guncon 3 and Linux?

https://www.beardypig.com/2016/01/06/guncon3/

The GC3 is not as good as the GC2 but way better than any other home IR gun and it works on all displays.

On the GC2 drivers for Windows 7, you could just ask White Ghost for them. He's still around I think.

Foxhole:
I was able to get 3rd party guncon2 to work on windows 7 x64 with the EMS Topgun driver, the official gun doesn't work with this driver due to the rolling x issue.
The only thing missing to get the gun working perfectly is a Screen Flasher. I've been looking all over the internet and couldn't find any way to flash the screen.
If i raise the brightness from within mame to about 1.7 then the gun works really well, but obviously that is not a good solution.
Plus, with the ems top gun driver the gun works well even on super resolutions.
Like i said, the only thing missing is a screen flasher.
So, if anyone knows of a way to get the screen flashing on an OS Level, that would be perfect.

Zebra:
Using a 3rd party GC2 gun is not a great solution for me. I have tried a lot and none are anywhere near as good as the official Namco ones. Their accuracy sucks. Poor lenses and badly designed electronics.

My experience has been that the Guncon 2 works well in Windows if used with real light gun games. From what I have read, a lot of the issues people have had is when trying to use them with games that never used a light gun like Terminator 2.

IMO, the best approach is to use an official GC2 or an Act Labs gun for real light gun games like Time Crisis or Op Wolf. Then pick up a directional gun (with an Apac) for games like T2 and Op Thunderbolt etc. An Aimtrak is probably the only option currently for CCD gun games. That is, arcade guns that used an IR camera with sensors mounted around the screen. That is.... unless someone feels like finishing the GC3 PC drivers...

I think it is worth using a real light gun even if it means sticking to an older 32 bit mame for gun games. It is not like we have seen any real progress for light gun games with later versions of Mame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version