Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Not much going on?  (Read 43539 times)

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Not much going on?
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2019, 11:24:12 pm »
"I have no nostalgia for pinball"

I dont think that matters. Not everyone is nostalgia for Pinball... hell when I was at the arcades in the late 80s I remember the pinball machines would be in the back corner covered in dust. I never enjoyed it. Now I realize it is a far superior game to play vs Arcade games. There is just a lot more strategy and skill required. And I like the challenge.

Eh... When I was a kid in Time-Out's twilight years I distinctly remember a handful of pins around. But I always saw older kids and adults playing them. When I played them, it was sensory overload. I always felt like I got more bang for my quarter on vids and redemption machines. It always felt like chaotic chance playing pinball as a kid. I was 5-7. Now it's a complete 180. I feel like I have more control over a game in pinball vs vids. :dunno
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:28:32 pm by Nephasth »
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2019, 11:29:50 pm »
"I have no nostalgia for pinball"

I dont think that matters. Not everyone is nostalgia for Pinball... hell when I was at the arcades in the late 80s I remember the pinball machines would be in the back corner covered in dust. I never enjoyed it. Now I realize it is a far superior game to play vs Arcade games. There is just a lot more strategy and skill required. And I like the challenge.

Yet another one has gone Full Bret. I’ll pour one out....
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2019, 11:35:02 pm »
Geez can't you just enjoy your pinball without trying to insult everything else?  How did I end up owning a pinball and not becoming a pinsnob...lol.

gildahl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2019, 07:57:22 am »
Nostalgia was certainly a motivation for me to build and it was also solidly behind my enjoyment of the machine in the first few months as I replayed all my old favorites.  However, now, some seven or so years later, the arcade machine still gets lots of use but many if not most of the games I play I never played in the arcades and so the role of nostalgia has faded from the forefront.  I'd also say that the arcade machine has been instrumental in changing the hobby for me from just "retro video gaming" to more of a "pop culture/history" hobby with a time window considerably wider than the short 4-year span I spent going to the arcades; so it never really gets boring.  Games of all periods and genres are now welcome and get played routinely.  This shift has also influenced my desire to eventually get a pinball machine even though I previously had little interest in that genre (and no nostalgia for it).  In fact I'm 100% certain that I'd buy a pinball table before I'd ever build a second arcade cab.  But then again I'm also 100% certain that the cab would still continue to be played the most--though perhaps not for the first month or two.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:59:40 am by gildahl »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2019, 09:59:48 am »
When I did play my mame cab....when I had one  it was a combination of playing games from my youth and playing all the cool ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- I never heard of, never would have known about DoDonPachi if not for MAME. That and mucking around with the Japanese versions of games I knew to see all the wacky differences (Salamander, Moero!! Pro Yakyuu, Final Fight,etc)

I have a bunch of machines that have multigame kits but no emulation (like Area 51/Max Force combo, Multi CPS2, MultiMVS) but I don't play games much. My focus really has been on learning about and fixing up Pinballs. Its the same thrill all over that I had restoring arcade machines back in the day. I do find myself working on the pins more than playing them , but its cathartic.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2019, 10:51:23 am »
At some point, just about every pinball I remember from my youth has gone through my collection.  Many of them held up, some didn't.  The only nostalgia machine I've kept is WCS 94 and it's my "bury me in it" machine.

I talked myself out of buying a Williams Fire for $800 when the beach bar went under 20 years ago and I was damned glad I did when I replayed it last month and realized what a turd it is.  Other one that's always eluded me has been Flash.  I recognize that Firepower (which I currently own) is a better game but it's not the one I grew up playing.  Some day.

:cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2019, 11:50:02 am »
I'd love a WCS94.  I get sad when I see big name reskins like Strikers Xtreme/NFL  and Shrek/Family Guy. The only recent release Id like to have is a Deadpool. I had a lot of fun playing it at Whiterose. Comet is gonna be my bury me in it game because I've spent WAYYYYY more than it's worth in updates

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2019, 12:13:46 pm »
Comet's an excellent game, though.  I had a super rough one that played well and it's one of the few I miss.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2019, 02:52:36 pm »
Geez can't you just enjoy your pinball without trying to insult everything else?  How did I end up owning a pinball and not becoming a pinsnob...lol.

Ouch... Just a fan. ha ha ha...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:55:29 pm by Ian »
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2019, 07:53:53 pm »
Other one that's always eluded me has been Flash. 

Ahh-aaa!  He'll save everyone of us!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2019, 08:35:32 pm »

Ouch... Just a fan. ha ha ha...

That was so 5 days ago...  I sounded kinda harsh must have been in a bad mood...lol.

surtr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 07:52:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2019, 12:01:33 pm »
Hey all - thought this was as good of a place as any to drop this.

My daughter and I built a cab about a year and a half ago -- mainly to get her comfortable with power tools (she was starting shop class and her best friend had accidentally fed her hand into a bandsaw the prior year).  It was certainly intimidating looking at some of the builds on here -- the quality of some builds and the dedication to authenticity on others.  We built what we wanted to build -- not as high quality as many, definitely not authentic, and came out with something we were very happy with.  I still owe this board pics...  I found these forums to be extremely helpful and overall a friendly place. 

Even after completing my project, I still like to come on here to see what other people are doing;  I sincerely hope that things continue to be active here.

Oh, and Ond - I love your avatar -- plasma balls are a total nostalgia for me.  I wonder if there's a reasonably feasible path to building a plasma ball marquee...

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2019, 10:38:28 am »
Had it not been for this thread I probably wouldn't have posted the project thread for the cabinet I pieced together for our office break area!

surtr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2019, 11:40:08 am »
I've been following that one -- very cool build, and I dig your idea for the monthly competition.  Much props!

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2019, 01:09:21 am »
Hey all - thought this was as good of a place as any to drop this.

My daughter and I built a cab about a year and a half ago -- mainly to get her comfortable with power tools (she was starting shop class and her best friend had accidentally fed her hand into a bandsaw the prior year).  It was certainly intimidating looking at some of the builds on here -- the quality of some builds and the dedication to authenticity on others.  We built what we wanted to build -- not as high quality as many, definitely not authentic, and came out with something we were very happy with.  I still owe this board pics...  I found these forums to be extremely helpful and overall a friendly place. 

Even after completing my project, I still like to come on here to see what other people are doing;  I sincerely hope that things continue to be active here.

Oh, and Ond - I love your avatar -- plasma balls are a total nostalgia for me.  I wonder if there's a reasonably feasible path to building a plasma ball marquee...

This a great story, you working with your daughter to help her after a scare like that. I still get a bit nervous around some of my power tools.  A healthy respect for the POWER in power tools keeps me safe. 

A plasma marquee is totally do-able.  Take one ultra narrow LCD panel and one custom plasma video animation (created by me) and voila! Zappy, sparky, arcing, glowing joy.  :cheers:

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2019, 03:35:38 pm »
I want to build more. My garage got filled up when my wife's uncle asked to store a bunch of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- in there. I'm trying to help him sell a bunch of it, but once it's out I have so much I want to do. I want to finish my Toxic Crusaders build, finish restoring my Contra and scratch build 2 new cabinets.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2019, 03:56:54 pm »
I build here and there, post a lot less than I used to. At this point, I've personally committed to not taking on any more projects until I put to bed a few that have been moving with me across the country for the last few years. I have maybe three good ideas that I'd like to build, but they'll have to wait.

For me, work and life and age have shifted my priorities and my time. I used to run the UCA but people took all the fun out of that. This place doesn't seem to be any worse for wear with it gone. It was an interesting run. I've got hundreds of PMs to remember it by in case I ever feel crazy enough to do it again.

I run a program in my career field that teaches those who aren't social media savvy how to communicate effectively in the digital space. A fair amount of it involves teaching them to Think>Type>Post and how not to feed the trolls. I noticed I was spending more of my personal time than I was comfortable with feeding the trolls here. I also noticed that I was a troll needing to be fed from time to time myself. I didn't need BYOAC doing that to me, and BYOAC didn't me doing that here.   

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2019, 07:35:23 pm »

For trend setting purposes, you stop being relevant at 27.

:cheers:

27 is the end.

Generation was more like three to five years. While there was some overlap of experienced things, many of them were different that quickly. With the rise of video games/augemented reality and Fantasy/Scifi, the differences have faded.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:37:14 pm by Mr. Peabody »

surtr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2019, 01:34:09 pm »
This a great story, you working with your daughter to help her after a scare like that. I still get a bit nervous around some of my power tools.  A healthy respect for the POWER in power tools keeps me safe. 

A plasma marquee is totally do-able.  Take one ultra narrow LCD panel and one custom plasma video animation (created by me) and voila! Zappy, sparky, arcing, glowing joy.  :cheers:
Well damn, wheels are now turning and plans for a new build are taking shape in my head...  AFTER I finish my current CP rebuild (cramming a couple of 2" trackballs on to play marble madness)...

Oh, and shop turned out to be my daughter's favorite class, so mission accomplished   ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:40:05 pm by surtr »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:32:48 am
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2019, 03:06:15 pm »
I am always thinking about arcade projects.  Unfortunately, I never seem to have the time to work on stuff.  My kids are 14, 11 and 6 and I'm just busy all the time.  Maybe in a few years things will let up but they are really active and I don't want to miss anything because I will not take them for granted and I know these are the best years of my life.  There will (hopefully) be time for this stuff when they are grown but I don't even want to think about that. 

Another issue is that I am completely out of space in my house, which stinks.  From 2014-2017 I took a long break from here to finish my basement and put in a home theater.  I love reading about projects and wish more people would post.  Whenever I'm working on something I tend to go overboard with posting pics and stuff in the hopes that others will want to talk about it or maybe see something I don't. 

I used to think the Arcade 1UP cabinets would help this hobby but now I'm not so sure.  I envisioned it sparking an interest but it's actually turning out to be a lazy solution for people who never really cared in the first place.  I mean, people don't seem to mind playing DK with an 8-way stick on a widescreen monitor!  WTF is that?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2019, 03:26:33 pm »
Im gonna clean up , take some pix, and post up my 2 driving projects for sale. Hopefully someone  wants them. Empty Midway Cab is probably getting tossed too. Converting my basement workshop into a finished game room was like the nail in the coffin of working on things.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2019, 01:49:04 pm »
I just put the deposit down for a new detached garage so I can have some room for woodworking/projects.  After it's done I hope to be able to hop on a new build.  My goal is to replace my 1st build....which is the true definition of a hack job.  I'll post a build log once I get started this summer...hopefully.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2019, 03:10:12 pm »
I used to think the Arcade 1UP cabinets would help this hobby but now I'm not so sure.  I envisioned it sparking an interest but it's actually turning out to be a lazy solution for people who never really cared in the first place.  I mean, people don't seem to mind playing DK with an 8-way stick on a widescreen monitor!  WTF is that?

But of course. They're the public. Like with music: nearly everyone loves it - and they know nearly nothing about it - which is fine as long as they care about what they like, versus whether something is 'any good'. Those who know about a thing can discuss and perhaps inform those who don't, if asked.....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:12:35 pm by Mr. Peabody »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2019, 08:33:00 am »
I need to take new pix and finish up the front end, but Ginger 2.0 is practically done.  Rails and lock down got the flat black treatment with a semigloss clear coat. I'm chuffed.  Got all the pins and all but 1 arcade put into the new game room. Area 51 went to storage and the future CPS1 machine hasn't made the 22 foot journey into the game room from the garage....yet.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2019, 05:09:38 pm »
This thread feels relevant at the moment, particularly on a boring day at work.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2019, 05:26:52 pm »
We no longer build as much, we assemble, which is a good thing. Many thanks to the various vendors who can supply us with electronics, artwork, kits, etc which make the dream of owning an arcade a reality. If you are just coming onto the scene now, you have a whole plethora of options and may not even find this site. If you do find this site, you may not post your build since it breaks no new ground.

Pre-built is now an option. You can go with an Arcade1up or a variety of other manufacturers and ikea style build a machine. Without getting into an argument on how close it is to the real thing, I believe it scratches the itch enough for many folks so their dreams of a real arcade in their house is accomplished from a trip or two to Wal-mart.

The environment has changed. Like Soul Asylum said, nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd, and a crowd we don't have.

Bottom line, just like real arcades, the niche community we have has it's heyday behind it. It's not a good or bad thing, it's just a thing.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2019, 12:20:19 pm »
We no longer build as much, we assemble, which is a good thing. Many thanks to the various vendors who can supply us with electronics, artwork, kits, etc which make the dream of owning an arcade a reality. If you are just coming onto the scene now, you have a whole plethora of options and may not even find this site. If you do find this site, you may not post your build since it breaks no new ground.

Pre-built is now an option. You can go with an Arcade1up or a variety of other manufacturers and ikea style build a machine. Without getting into an argument on how close it is to the real thing, I believe it scratches the itch enough for many folks so their dreams of a real arcade in their house is accomplished from a trip or two to Wal-mart.

The environment has changed. Like Soul Asylum said, nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd, and a crowd we don't have.

Bottom line, just like real arcades, the niche community we have has it's heyday behind it. It's not a good or bad thing, it's just a thing.
However...There is little to no satsfaction to owning a disposable machine or filling your house with W/mart junk, You want that as your legacy when your gone?...Try a Pre war Wurlitzer friend, The quality has not only stood the test of time but will outlive all of us as a machine.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2019, 12:56:20 pm »
Jenn - that is spot on in my book. Heck, even buying a real machine and doing nothing with it is still a bit hollow to me. Give me a fixer upper. I need a project, and it is all about the build. Then I have something with a bit of pride behind it. The same goes for about any hobby I dabble in.

I need to work on something more than something to use. Arcade related items are just my weapon of choice because it involves everything from electrical to mechanical to woodworking, and you generally end up with something that the regular joe-schmo, even with a fat wallet won't have in their house.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:18:57 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2019, 01:47:12 pm »
Building and repairing arcade machines helps preserve a little bit of history. At least for awhile. My little arcade room allows my friends to recapture their youth, and to share that experience with their kids. It would not be the same experience if my arcade was full of waist high garbage cabs.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2019, 02:40:12 pm »
I take that for granted. I'm always a bit amazed at how people I meet often have had zero exposure to arcade machines for decades and seeing and playing a machine again really lights them up with excitement. Even the old electrical smells and imperfections mean something.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2019, 02:46:27 pm »
My arcade room is also the main entrance to my house. I am amused at how many times I have been asked to flip on the games by complete strangers. It is lots of fun.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2019, 03:52:23 pm »
It is nice to know the whole world hasn't gone insane, and sometimes the night still lights up with OEM...It should be pointed out however, this comes at a price, In time, money, Equipment, tools, space, and in my case family and friends. Involving a commitment few could ever
understand. Building/restoration is a lifestyle not a choice...Ps, Mike "Go buy a welder already" (*Jenn laughs).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:14:22 pm by jennifer »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2019, 04:50:12 pm »
Yeah - all 3 of you can keep this site alive.  :cheers:

I tried not to use inflammatory language cause I know how sensitive you guys. The fact is, a lot of people have found alternatives to the build-your-own arcade lifestyle we live. I used that to explain why it's slow around here. That.is.all.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2019, 04:53:25 pm »
I was mostly wondering why the slowdown in projects.  In the 2 years that I've been coming here there appeared to be a lot of activity in Project Announcements up until very recently.  Summer break maybe?

I enjoy watching other people’s builds almost as much as building myself, and perhaps Lew is right and it has to do with lack of interest in building.  But as was pointed out earlier in this thread there are (8?) new people signing up every day which would seem to contradict that perspective.  If you wanted to learn about Arcade1up’s or other prepackaged cabinets then it seems there are plenty of other sites dedicated to those, so why come here?

I’m guessing it has more to do with people being intimidated to post, or feeling like they don’t have the skills to get going.  I can relate to that as I felt the same way before I posted anything.  If anyone out there is reading this and you fall in this camp, please post.  A lot of veterans are happy to help, and it keeps the vibe and enthusiasm going.  No one is good at anything until they try, and as was stated above, it sure feels good when you can point at something and say I built that.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2019, 06:24:03 pm »
Yeah - all 3 of you can keep this site alive.  :cheers:

I tried not to use inflammatory language cause I know how sensitive you guys. The fact is, a lot of people have found alternatives to the build-your-own arcade lifestyle we live. I used that to explain why it's slow around here. That.is.all.
Do you even know what your saying anymore, Perhaps all that pre fab has rotted your brain or something...Us 3 are not the future of this site, There are many folks here that DO TAKE PRIDE IN THERE WORK...not to mention the guys behind the scenes that even makes this site possible...All under the direction of Saint who not only dresses up like a Pac man, but makes the noise too when he walks, That kind of creativity can not be bought at W/mart and coveted in 1/3 scale in your basment...Your Arcade1ups are not the holy grail, they actually make me feel sick.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:26:42 pm by jennifer »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2019, 06:34:42 pm »
Yeah. All of that vibrant activity in the A1up subforum will save us all. ::)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:02 pm »
You guys are, well, you’re being ugly.

I’m not talking about A1ups exclusively. I’m talking about the weecade invasion, the tons of kits available from online flat pack to microcenter, not to mention all the barcades. All those thing chip away at the novelty and nostalgia which means less traffic here.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:06 pm »
I understand your points Lew, and I’m sure there’s truth in.  But why then do people continue to signup on the site at a rate that appears to be in line with historical averages?(according to Scott)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2019, 03:08:20 pm »
Building and repairing arcade machines helps preserve a little bit of history. At least for awhile. My little arcade room allows my friends to recapture their youth, and to share that experience with their kids. It would not be the same experience if my arcade was full of waist high garbage cabs.
I take that for granted. I'm always a bit amazed at how people I meet often have had zero exposure to arcade machines for decades and seeing and playing a machine again really lights them up with excitement. Even the old electrical smells and imperfections mean something.

^ These two posts nail it.  You're not going to invoke that nostalgia with weecades and A1ups.  The most reaction you'll get is, "oh that's cute"...

Sure, if you're buying those pre-mades to scratch that itch, go right ahead. But it's not a replacement to the real experience, and it never will be. Period. They're fun toys that have a short lifespan, and will be forgotten in the very near future.  They definitely won't hold their worth in years to come...

Which also brings me to my next point. Value.  Original cabs, or even scratch built unique designed cabinets could hold their value years to come. For OG cabs, the value increases as time goes on. For scratch built, you most likely break even or have a slight reduction in value.

Try reselling a 1Up Arcade or Weecade in a year or two from now, I'm 100% positive you won't make your money back. You'd be lucky to make even half of it. These things are depreciating products. They're "throw-away".

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2019, 05:46:11 pm »

^ These two posts nail it.  You're not going to invoke that nostalgia with weecades and A1ups.  The most reaction you'll get is, "oh that's cute"...

Sure, if you're buying those pre-mades to scratch that itch, go right ahead. But it's not a replacement to the real experience, and it never will be. Period. They're fun toys that have a short lifespan, and will be forgotten in the very near future.  They definitely won't hold their worth in years to come...

Which also brings me to my next point. Value.  Original cabs, or even scratch built unique designed cabinets could hold their value years to come. For OG cabs, the value increases as time goes on. For scratch built, you most likely break even or have a slight reduction in value.

Try reselling a 1Up Arcade or Weecade in a year or two from now, I'm 100% positive you won't make your money back. You'd be lucky to make even half of it. These things are depreciating products. They're "throw-away".

First off: welcome back! Not sure where you been but glad you’re back.

Now that the pleasantries are over, Im not tracking. You realize original arcade games are 25+ years old, are scarce because they are no longer being made, and also the vast majority of original arcades can’t be resold for half of what they cost new. Am I missing something? It’s not really a good comparison. I much prefer the real deal arcade games but I see what’s happening in the arcade world and trying to say the originals are better financially is a bad argument.

I have full sized machines, bar tops and arcade 1up. The reactions are always positive. Never had anyone said “that little arcade is cute, but I want to play the big one”