Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trouble replacing RGB light on a joystick connected to an LEDWiz  (Read 1538 times)

mhermann

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2019, 07:10:08 pm
  • We ain't found.........
Hello all. Haven't been here in a long while. Hope everyone is well.

Anyway, one of the RGB lights went out in one of my joysticks. I had someone wire this for me years ago so I am not sure how to fix it. I was able to remove the old RBG light from the joystick and the LEDWiz.

I bought a replacement from Paradise Arcade:

RGB 5mm LED
Model PAS-Joy5MMLED-RGB
Custom made 5mm RGB LEDs with leads our hollow shafts, great LEDS to light your balls!
https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/products/paradise-arcade-exclusive-products/556_rgb-5mm-led?search_query=rgb&results=94

I connect the R-G-B to the LEDWiz ports 1,2 and 3. Then I connect the black wire which I believe is power to where the old piece of the wire from the last RGb was as it is then "combined" with the wires from the 7 push buttons and goes into the 5v port.

The Green and the Blue work fine. But the Red starts strong and then seems to die.

I am sure it is user error, I am just not sure what.

Thanks

Mr. Peabody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
Re: Trouble replacing RGB light on a joystick connected to an LEDWiz
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 02:58:23 pm »
Check schematics and voltages.

mhermann

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 05:12:03 pm »
Ok. Not really sure what I am checking for. Looks like I need to do some learn'n :)

I figured the R G B go into ports on the LEDwiz and then I just put the 5v into the 5v port of the LEDwiz.

I think this is what I just don't really understand:

"Please note these do not have resistors installed so they will need a current control circuit (or resistor) to run properly."

Do I just purchase a resistor and put it inline between the RGB light and the 5v input?

I have never gotten down to the level of schematics and voltages. Looks like I need to start.

Thanks for the reply.

mhermann

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 07:10:08 pm »
Figured it out. It was simple for most people but I am a little electrically challenged. Just had to figure out the proper resistor and unfortunately resorted to electrically tape. Next time I may buy a soldering iron so I don't feel like hack.