Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Trilogy USB Joystick  (Read 13230 times)

kooky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 07:58:53 pm
  • My Motto is "More Good Times"
Star Wars Trilogy USB Joystick
« on: February 11, 2019, 03:11:28 pm »
I am putting together a combo shooter (AimTrack) and flight stick cabinet.  I'd like to play Star Wars Trilogy but I can add others if they are compatible with the joystick I select.

Can I get away with an 8-way trigger stick (https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Joystick-Trigger-Button-Arcade/dp/B0786NFSLM) or do I need to use an analog stick for this game?  Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB flight stick that only has two buttons?  I've only seen flight simulator joysticks with a ton of buttons or the Ultrastik 360 with flight trigger attachment.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Star Wars Trilogy USB Joystick
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:18:43 pm »
Maybe you can find the real arcade controls for that game. Or a flight stick from another arcade.

You can connect analog arcade joysticks to a PC easily with an Apac or equivalent. I use one to connect my Gunblade and Operation Thunderbolt guns.

I find that real arcade controls, even if they are used, just feel better than any consumer peripherals.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 04:20:43 pm »
I was playing around with this on my PC the other night and wondering the same.

would something like this work with a zero delay encoder or would it make your hand cramp up?

$25
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-flight-yoke-stick-Joystick-8-way-joystick-w-two-fire-buttons-firm-grip/232354256149?epid=1930922596&hash=item3619649515:g:ukkAAOSwsn9b~cbg:sc:USPSFirstClass!14094!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:06:39 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:23:56 pm »
I am putting together a combo shooter (AimTrack) and flight stick cabinet.  I'd like to play Star Wars Trilogy but I can add others if they are compatible with the joystick I select.

Can I get away with an 8-way trigger stick (https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Joystick-Trigger-Button-Arcade/dp/B0786NFSLM) or do I need to use an analog stick for this game?  Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB flight stick that only has two buttons?  I've only seen flight simulator joysticks with a ton of buttons or the Ultrastik 360 with flight trigger attachment.
Star Wars Trilogy is an analog stick game.

There's a list of analog stick games here.  (backup of the wiki page)

If you want an analog USB flightstick, here's one great choice.   :cheers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B84V/

Another stick that several other forum members have recommended is the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS.

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:06:39 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:16:30 pm »
would something like this work with a zero delay encoder
Yes, it will work just like any 8-way (microswitch) joystick and two push buttons.

You linked to the short shaft version with only 3/8" clearance between the mount plate and the bottom of the stick.
- On a wood panel, you'll need to top mount it.
- With the dust washer installed, there is only room for about 1/8"/3mm plexi or a 3d printed cover for the mounting plate. (LMK if you want the OpenSCAD code for a cover)

Some vendors like Ultimarc sell a longer shaft version.

would it make your hand cramp up?
Depends on the player, the game, CP layout, etc.   :dunno

Scott

Braddiest90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 07:09:18 am
    • Flirtlu
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 01:24:01 am »
Does anyone remember how many buttons the Tie Fighters actually had in the movies? And were they red buttons?

kooky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 07:58:53 pm
  • My Motto is "More Good Times"
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:50 am »
Does anyone remember how many buttons the Tie Fighters actually had in the movies? And were they red buttons?

Tie Fighter or X-Wing? X-Wing was what Luke flies in the first movie.  The X-Wing had a flight stick similar to the one PL1 listed (Thanks by the way I will probably buy this):

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 02:12:51 pm »
I just picked up a pacific av8r ps3 flight stick for a similar purpose.  Strangely, the analog thumbstick can't be used in windows, but other than that it's full featured, has an ambidextrous arcade style grip, and retails for around 20 bucks at this point.  Quality stick for the price... highly recommended.