Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo Flat T Moulding and 15mm Plywood  (Read 5273 times)

1-UP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2020, 06:53:22 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Nintendo Flat T Moulding and 15mm Plywood
« on: February 11, 2019, 04:47:35 am »
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying some of the 9/16 true flat Nintendo moulding from America. I am in the UK and the nearest plywood or MDF available is 15mm (5/8).

My question is, has anyone done this before and what were the results like? I'd need to buy a lot of the moulding from t moulding com to make it worthwhile and I don't want it to be too small. I could really do with a sample if anyone in the UK has some. I'll gladly pay for a bit to be sure it'll fit right. My fear is that the mm or so difference will be obvious when fitted.

My other option is the more readily available 15mm trim I can get which is in fact slightly wider than side panels. I'd then trim it so it looks more like the original trim.

Any suggestions?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: Nintendo Flat T Moulding and 15mm Plywood
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:03:37 am »
HAve you tried contacting the company selling the t-molding that you are going to order from - chances are if you contact them they will send a sample to you that you could use to evaluate.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 06:03:47 pm »
it is not going to fit, Save your money...Laminating your own wood is not a cheap alternative but it is not as hard as it sounds, (*Hint of the day* boat builders do it with fiberglass)  (Jennifer prefers the West Systems epoxies because it sets up fast and hard) although it can also be done with water soluble wood glue. Keep one edge square so you have a reference of thickness as you go and work on plastic so you don't scratch it all up before you even start. ;)

1-UP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:54:55 am »
Thank you for the advice. The company do sell samples but the postage is ridiculously high from USA even for such a little piece. I think I'll email them and ask. They must have had UK buyers with the same question before.

Not sure if I'm missing something but I was talking about T slot moulding. Not really concerned with fibreglass etc. Maybe I didn't explain well enough. Thank you anyway.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:06:44 am »
Are you looking at the 9/16" Nintendo flat T-molding from t-molding.com or true flat, true flat for control panel or true offset from Chomping Quarters?

Diagram from t-molding.com.

9/16" = 13.78125mm

You could get pretty close to that using 12mm plywood with a layer of 0.7mm vertical grade laminate on on each side.

Scott

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:28:56 am »
laying glass is the same principal, not what I was saying.... Make you own wood ply in the correct thickness, (or more literally resurface a sheet of 1/2 inch ply)  https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/veneer
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:47:34 am by jennifer »

1-UP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 03:18:26 pm »
Thanks Jennifer & PL1. Makes much more sense to me now. It's surprising how little is available in the UK. I can't get the T-moulding or the 3mm carriage bolts for the control panel. Even 15mm MDF or Plywood is hard to get and expensive. I saw a 18mm carcass Donkey Kong build at a show, with cheap T-trim and it just looked so lame.. I want to do better.

1-UP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:21:53 pm »
I wouldn't even know were to get laminate in the UK and the price would be astronomical. Thanks for the help though, Ill look into it