Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 28” monitor help  (Read 1444 times)

DetroitKP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2019, 04:35:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
28” monitor help
« on: February 09, 2019, 03:17:47 pm »
I’m in the process of designing my first arcade build.  I plan to use raspberry pi.  Question on the monitor.  Should I buy a tv monitor or computer monitor?  Would this tv work ok?  Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-28S305-28-Inch-Smart-Model/dp/B01N5G7GNR/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549742836&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=28”+tv&dpPl=1&dpID=41K%2BKeRjHdL&ref=plSrch

DetroitKP

• Offline Offline
Re: 28” monitor help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:19:47 pm »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:51:30 am »
A 720p panel would be a mistake if you intend to use effects like scanlines, the resolution is simply too low for that, so the ViewSonic would be better.

Now that ViewSonic like many monitors of the brand has the ability to run the game's native refresh rates (for instance a 54Hz game won't be forced to 60Hz), but that's under the condition you're using GroovyMAME and CRT_Emudriver, which means no R.Pi but a Windows PC with a compatible discrete AMD graphics card, plus some time to learn how to set this up)

Last thing; I don't know if this is still true today but I've been reading monitors reviews for many years and learned that 28" panels have pretty bad reputation in terms of quality and performance while 27" and 32" are okay. Though most people who aren't as nitpicking as I am over LCDs probably wouldn't tell the difference and be happy with a 28 anyway. ^^

EDIT maybe you can get the Pi to output the exact refreshes and work with that ViewSonic as well, but if that's any possible I don't know how, you'd have to ask Calamity the question at the GroovyMAME forum.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:57:42 am by schmerzkaufen »

DetroitKP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 06:28:42 am »
Thank you so much for the response and advice!  I already ordered the raspberry pi, but good to know that the Viewsonic might be better if I upgrade in the future.  Interesting about the size quality issues.  My cab is 28” wide, so was going for largest screen I could.  Do you think 27” or 28” screen is large enough for a 4 player cab/control panel?

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:44:20 am »
You won't see much differnce between 27" and 28" both should be big enough, but more importantly for you; it must fit! the TCL's bezel is pretty thin while the ViewSonic's thick, check the full sizes in the specifications.

DetroitKP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:33:19 am »
You won't see much differnce between 27" and 28" both should be big enough, but more importantly for you; it must fit! the TCL's bezel is pretty thin while the ViewSonic's thick, check the full sizes in the specifications.

Thanks. For sure.  My cab opening is actually 29” wide, so I’m carefully checking actual monitor dimensions.  Sounds like a computer monitor may be the best way to go.  I wonder if that will also help with powering up issues - so that when I power up RP, the monitor will turn on?