Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME JPAC interference issues  (Read 1748 times)

LazyAce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2020, 09:44:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyMAME JPAC interference issues
« on: February 07, 2019, 07:37:20 am »
I suspect this may be a similar issue to the thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=158700.40

But here is my issue:

Just messing around with my Astro City I've newly acquired and appear to be having the same issue with JPACS and GroovyMAME PC as I had on my Dino King conversion.

I've two GroovyMAME PCs - one smaller Linux build and one larger Optiplex, the latter I put together myself and runs great on my PVM. I also have a homemade Pi2Jamma thingy and experience the same issues with this. When using any of my setups on a JPAC with my Astro (MS-8 29") I'm getting minor interference on the monitor. Almost like a slight 'fuzz' effect, which is more visible due to the large screen on the Astro. I've tried the two JPACs I own and the issue persists - and I can't imagine being unlucky enough to have two bad JPACs! Oddly it seems to clear up the longer you play. Bearing in mind that the PC setups all seem fine going VGA to BNC or VGA to SCART to BNC, all issues point to the JPAC portion of the setup. I had the same issues using a JPAC on my Dino King monitor where it would distort the image - although admittedly is markedly less on the Astro monitor. I've tried a triple shielded VGA cable from the Radeon GPU on the PC and the JPAC and still no joy.

I've not rewired the Astro and it's running the original PSU. The marquee bulb is not present and everything else is original. To be honest the distortion is minor, but noticeable compared to a PCB. I'm having Gunblade (Grant) service the monitor, but I suspect this could be GroovyMAME vua JPAC related and wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar? I read about shielding issues, but not entirely sure it applies here. Any help would be great.

kujina

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2021, 12:07:40 pm
Re: GroovyMAME JPAC interference issues
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 06:29:34 pm »
Are you powering anything else from your PC (psu) apart from the PC itself?

LazyAce

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:22:14 am »

Nope, nothing else. Just had the chassis serviced by Grant in the UK and he confirmed it was solid. Definitely appears to be the JPAC. Could it be that the power is still running to the Jamma edge, should I disconnect the 5 and 12V lines?

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:31:46 am »

Nope, nothing else. Just had the chassis serviced by Grant in the UK and he confirmed it was solid. Definitely appears to be the JPAC. Could it be that the power is still running to the Jamma edge, should I disconnect the 5 and 12V lines?

Possibly. There’s no real need for power through the Jamma unless maybe your harness has electric coin mechanisms?

https://www.ultimarc.com/jpac2.html

LazyAce

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 12:47:00 pm »

Possibly. There’s no real need for power through the Jamma unless maybe your harness has electric coin mechanisms?

https://www.ultimarc.com/jpac2.html

Coin mech is mechanical mate. It's the best option just unsoldering the wires at the Jamma connector end?