Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tri-Sync Monitor Cabinet Owners Do You have lots of Issues?  (Read 3045 times)

Vincefaro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Tri-Sync Monitor Cabinet Owners Do You have lots of Issues?
« on: February 05, 2019, 01:15:42 pm »
Is it bad to switch resolutions all of the time? I have now had two tri-sync monitors a
WG D9200 and a WG D9800 . I bought a used D9200 and it worked well for 6 months .
Here is the video of my D9200 when I would power it up .

This is a few videos of the D9800 I purchased NOS . It started to lose its geometry.

and then I had a company recap the chassis. When I got it back it had a blue screen with a "out of Range" barely visible.
They told me it was the tube that is was too "Hot"  and it was bad. They replaced my tube with an older tube that has very little contrast and it is not as sharp as my previous tube. I am about to throw in the towel, and get an LCD. which will break my heart but I cant take this anymore.

So does anybody who has a tri-sync monitor in there cabinet have major problems switching between resolutions for different games? I am am told that is bad to do. If that is the case then these monitors should not be used for our application. What do you think?

nexusmtz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
Re: Tri-Sync Monitor Cabinet Owners Do You have lots of Issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 02:37:51 am »
I bought a used D9800 which I've been running in a MAME machine for 8 years (light use.) It still switches fine, but I don't think they were designed to switch as often as an SVGA desktop monitor. 

I will cry when it dies.

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:22:26 am »
I was always under the impression that using a Tri sync monitor for a MAME setup never did the monitor any favours due to it switching when it booted up, then when the frontend was loaded, then when the game was loaded and then back to the frontend again.

For this reason the next monitor i bought was just a standard 15khz monitors, the scanlines look a lot better than multisync monitor scanlines and is there really that many 24 and 31khz arcade games that you'd play often?, i can only think of about 10 and these can be modified to look just fine on a 15khz monitor

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 03:37:55 pm »
I have two tri-sync arcade monitors and I've had no issues using them with mame. It's just a relay like what they use in many other household items. My central heating is constantly switching on and off via a relay and I have never had to change a relay in any house I have ever lived in.

It is not possible to make any accurate statements about how the image looks on tri-sync vs cga only monitors. A tri-sync chassis has no effect on things like scanlines when run in cga mode. They all look different.

Visible gaps between scanlines become more noticeable on monitors with less bloom. It doesn't matter if it's tri-sync or cga only. Some cga monitors have thick scanlines, others are barely noticeable. Same with tri-syncs.

As for the benefit of using a tri-sync, while there is not a huge number of EGA and VGA games, there are enough classics to make it worth thinking about. E.g. Daytona, Sega Ralley, Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis, all model 2 and model 3 games, Naomi games like Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Dreamcast games and older arcade classics like Paperboy and Narc, and newer arcade games like Street Fighter 4 and most PC based arcades.

So, for anyone that cares about correct native resolutions and refresh rates, a tri-sync is the best option. Plus, being able to run Windows in 480p makes it a lot easier to navigate. oh... and vertical games can be played at native res without turning the monitor (in 24khz).

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 03:39:18 pm »
BTW, you can still buy new 29" tri-sync crt monitors from Happ and Betson. So stock up while you can.

Vincefaro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 04:29:35 pm »

I am hesitant to buy one of these as I was under the impression that they were low quality. But I guess we cant be choosey at this time.

BTW, you can still buy new 29" tri-sync crt monitors from Happ and Betson. So stock up while you can.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 09:09:01 pm »
They aren't the best arcade monitors I have owned but, once set up right, they deliver a nice authentic image. It's up there with any other 29" tube I have seen. They all use reputable brand tubes anyway. My Makvision has a Toshiba tube. My Billabs 25" tri-sync uses an LG tube.

My Billabs is definately a better monitor but it's smaller. I prefer the image on my Makvision to my XM29 and the Mak has fewer geometry issues and better image controls.

IMO, in this day and age, there is a lot to be said for getting a new crt monitor. There used to be good deals on old high end broadcast monitors but now everyone is asking silly money for 30 year-old monitors that could break any day...

For a mame machine, they make a lot of sense. and, as you said, it's not like you have a choice if you want something new.