Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Went to Funspot in Laconia NH today - They say they're the worlds largest arcade  (Read 10417 times)

bperkins01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
They might be..  All of the old school machines (300+) are in a section that is the "American Classic Arcade Museum"

My primary reason to go was to try out the machines that I've been playing on my cabinet now that I've been using it a while and compare..

Centipede was my first stop since that is my game..   
Their machine had a couple of small issues - the lower half of the screen was nudged up about an inch (I'm certain because of some CRT weakness)  you could see the burn in about an inch below where the graphics were on the bottom.  The firebutton had that old familiar.... "I'll fire if you hit me perfectly" feel from the 80's too..
All that said - it was fun to play a real one that actually worked.

Here is what I noticed - my MAME machine feels faster..  and my trackball is quicker..  The old trackball had a heavier roll to it too. 
I took a note: The trackball moved 3 mushrooms outside to outside when testing..  I need to compare and see against mine..  The Wiki says 2.5 mushrooms.

I played Galaga and that was identical in speed/feel - except I'm thinking the arcade may have had a little difficulty turned up..  there were extra movements in the early rounds that I had not seen and you started with 5 guys.

Space invaders - the same
Donkey Kong - the same
They had a Dragons Lair too - I lost my guys (about 45 seconds for all of them) just as fast on that machine as at home..

The wife played Skee Ball and now wants one of them.. I'm not sure how that is going to go..
Glad I got to try and compare.
Certainly worth the trip in you in New Hampshire.

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Dragons Layer =  :angry:

Thanks for sharing, love to check it out some day.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Dragons Layer =  :angry:

Thanks for sharing, love to check it out some day.

Is that a new game?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
No - its from around 1983. 
I remember watching others play it because that animation (at the time) was so cool.
The problem was it was $.50 to play - at the time that was a lot for a kid..  and you got killed so fast that you needed a lot of cash to get good at it.

So I never played it back then..

I spent a couple weeks messing with it to get its emulator working properly on my cabinet.  It is difficult to set up as compared to MAME.

I still can't play it worth crap...  But at least I can afford it now!!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:41:58 pm by bperkins01 »
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Ahh... so you've discovered that games on location frequently didn't play all that well... something to keep in mind when people here start whining about the throw on a joystick being 2mm off.

:lol

gildahl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:04:12 am
I live in Massachusetts and try to get up there at least once a year.  My annual "pilgrimage" as I tell my wife.  Often I take along some notes on which games to play to compare with my machine at home.  The state of repair of a lot of the machines is, unfortunately, poor.  Quite a few broken or limp controllers, and monitors are hit-and-miss.  Last time I was up there I wanted to compare my vector bloom effects with some real machines, but found that all their color vector games looked like they were running raster screens.  I try not to fault them too much though since keeping 300 old machines in tip-top condition would probably be financially impractical, and every year they get a year older.  Their collection is pretty huge, though, so there are always plenty of games that work fine, so it continues to always be worth the trip. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 02:03:37 pm by gildahl »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Galloping Ghost in Brookfield, IL claims 660+ games. I haven't been there. There is a nice arcade much closer to my house.

The Underground Retrocade. They have almost 200 games and a little over a dozen pins. Their games are in pretty good shape.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
We've got a nice arcade in these parts with a decent selection of vids and pins.  I go about once a year... and the stuff that wasn't working right the year before still doesn't work next year, either. 

But they sure as hell have someone monitoring the games 24/7 to make sure you don't set a drink that they sold you on one of them.  But there's nowhere to put them. 

It's a weird place.

:dunno

gildahl

• Offline Offline
Galloping Ghost in Brookfield, IL claims 660+ games. I haven't been there. There is a nice arcade much closer to my house.

The Underground Retrocade. They have almost 200 games and a little over a dozen pins. Their games are in pretty good shape.

I believe the 300 count at Funspot is just the classic games section.  They have many other games (redemption, modern, skee ball, pins, bowling, mini golf, etc.).  Not sure what the full count is.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm

Centipede was my first stop since that is my game...The firebutton had that old familiar.... "I'll fire if you hit me perfectly" feel from the 80's too...

Here is what I noticed - my MAME machine feels faster...

I played Galaga and that was identical in speed/feel - except I'm thinking the arcade may have had a little difficulty turned up..  there were extra movements in the early rounds that I had not seen and you started with 5 guys.

Five ships is standard nowadays, else a lot of people wouldn't return to the machine because they're so bad. Also, you don't see original Mspac, because it is too hard for the average player, and the pace too hard on the brain for the average young player.

That button inaccuracy turned me away from games.

Did you play Joust? It is very different. You can hover with a lazy repeated key press. Not so in MAME. Also, the fall rate IS slower. I think the physics are not accurate in MAME - or, there's an interaction between hardware and monitor in the cabinet that makes for different, slower kind of game play.

But they sure as hell have someone monitoring the games 24/7 to make sure you don't set a drink that they sold you on one of them.  But there's nowhere to put them. 

I thought having little drink tables between games was a standard.

@gildahl: many places have the brightness on their vector monitors down, so no glow.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:07:03 pm by Mr. Peabody »

johnrezz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2020, 10:37:03 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
This made me smile. I spent every summer on Lake Winnipesaukee as a kid (70's-80's). Funspot was my favorite place to go...  I am glad to hear it is still around.  When we were kids they had crazy fast Go-carts on a dirt track that we were thrown out of many times :)...   I would have to guess the last time I was there we in 1984, I believe I spent all my money on Paperboy...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

Yes, they've got like 2 of them.  Not very conveniently located.   :dunno

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
Funspot has WAY more than 300 games - the third floor is the classic section with over 300.  Many many more (newer) on the 2nd and ground floor.

They did not have a real Joust!!!!  It was the only game I looked for that they didn't have.  They had the newer version of Joust. "Survival of the Fittest"
I did play that and I'll be adding it to my favorites so I can play it more.

I'll also update my Galaga settings to 5 ships once I'm back at my cabinet.

Here are some pics.
The lighting is bad..  but you get the idea.

This isn't even all of the classic arcade collection.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:23:10 pm
I used to love Sprint 2. I had thought about building something and getting the 4 way gear shift just to play. The picture is from San Francisco on the pier somewhere.

J_K_M_A_N
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:30:58 pm by J_K_M_A_N »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am

Centipede was my first stop since that is my game...The firebutton had that old familiar.... "I'll fire if you hit me perfectly" feel from the 80's too...

Here is what I noticed - my MAME machine feels faster...

Five ships is standard nowadays, else a lot of people wouldn't return to the machine because they're so bad. Also, you don't see original Mspac, because it is too hard for the average player, and the pace too hard on the brain for the average young player.

That button inaccuracy turned me away from games.

Did you play Joust? It is very different. You can hover with a lazy repeated key press. Not so in MAME. Also, the fall rate IS slower. I think the physics are not accurate in MAME - or, there's an interaction between hardware and monitor in the cabinet that makes for different, slower kind of game play.

@gildahl: many places have the brightness on their vector monitors down, so no glow.
The MAME emulation lie you talk about is a rare subject around here, but you are not wrong, the nuances of most games I tried were butchered almost to some unrecognizable bootleg state (although to be fair Jenn does have a few cabs to do a side by side comparisons)...The dev team gets all defensive on the greatness of their work should you peek behind the curtain, and ramble on about how the newer hardware and bad dumps contributes to the problem but luckily they have a code patch to fix the problem....NOT!

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm

Did not know about that one.  Still a bit far but a closer trek from cheeseland.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
The MAME emulation lie you talk about is a rare subject around here, but you are not wrong, the nuances of most games I tried were butchered almost to some unrecognizable bootleg state (although to be fair Jenn does have a few cabs to do a side by side comparisons)...The dev team gets all defensive on the greatness of their work should you peek behind the curtain, and ramble on about how the newer hardware and bad dumps contributes to the problem but luckily they have a code patch to fix the problem....NOT!

Interesting take - I had not really thought of it this way..  its very possible I just have a different ROM in MAME than the Galaga I played.  If I feel like tinkering..  I'll find some other ROMS and test.  I had a couple of Galaga guys play the machine at my place and they were crushing it..  they didn't mention any anomalies..

Since the MAME work is more about hardware emulation and not the ROMs..  I would think the games themselves would not be effected by the MAME emulation at all..  Except of course if somehow the emulated CPU speed had some drift and didn't match the wall clock..  I can't even imagine how tough it is to emulate all of the video circuitry..so yes.. video processing too..

Centipede used a 6502 processor - which has been emulated to death..  I'd think everything has been shaken out of that. 
Now what I would believe is the CPU clock circuit in the real cabinet I played at the arcade had some drift and that is why it seemed just ever so slightly slower than my MAME cabinet..  The most annoying part of the original machine I used was the spring on the fire button was set at about 15lbs (it seemed)...  My fire button finger was worn out in about 15 minutes.. 

Still - it was a lot of fun to go play the originals and compare.. 

gildahl

• Offline Offline

It wasn't so much the lack of glow, but the presence of low-res scanlines on the color vector games (Tempest, Major Havoc, etc.) that made me think these were raster monitors.  Very different from the clean etched lines on say, Asteroids, which clearly still had a vector monitor.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof

Did not know about that one.  Still a bit far but a closer trek from cheeseland.

I am in Wonder Lake, IL. My arcade is even closer to you. Where are you located?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
I live in Milwaukee, so eventually I'll make the trip down to Galloping Ghost. I've taken my son and his friend to the Garcade, which is about a 30 minute drive. Pretty nice place, the owner was very friendly and seemed to be a genuine enthusiast and the games tended to be in good shape. They have legit vector monitors and several rarities.

Also, re: Joust emulation, the physics are emulated perfectly on my end. I always play Joust in the wild when I get the chance.

But, yeah, my experience of arcades is generally the same, even back to the early eighties: messed up joysticks, buttons and monitors. A local pizza place has an X-men 4 player and a Donkey Kong  and it's pretty funny because both monitors are messed up and the DK joystick is way loose and at least one of the X-men joysticks doesn't reliably move left. At least the games are only a quarter.  :laugh2:

Funspot is legendary. Thanks for posting about your experiences.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
I live in Milwaukee......

Have you been to a place in Milwaukee called 1983 (a bar maybe)? A buddy of mine was over there and had some time to kill and he ended up finding that place and he sent me a few pictures. Looked pretty cool. They had a decent amount of games it looked like. Maybe not 300 but it would be local for you. In the pictures I see Joust, Burgertime, Arkanoid, Elevator Action, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Centipede, Track N Field and a bunch of pins.

We have a place called Up/Down with a few games in it. Maybe 50-100 games or so. https://www.updownarcadebar.com/minneapolis/    Some of the games were not in great shape. Lots of loose joysticks and monitors in need of a cap kit. Still cool to hang out at.

J_K_M_A_N

EDIT

Looks like you have an Up/Down there also. https://www.updownarcadebar.com/milwaukee/

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:41:06 pm by J_K_M_A_N »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
I was at the UP/Down in Minneapolis with Vigo last year. It was a cool place. I found a good stout there. I can't remember the name. Some of the games were in pretty sorry shape. We met two odd dudes that were strangely entertaining to talk to.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
I have heard of the 1983 bar, but I haven't had the chance to visit. It's not too far from the Up Down bar, which I also haven't had the chance to visit. My wife grew up in the former East Germany and I don't have that many friends who are nostalgic about arcade games. I've got one friend who likes to play console games, especially N64 era, and my son will play pretty much any video or tabletop game. Otherwise, most of my friends appear to view my obsession as a childish quirk, so it may be years before I visit any arcade bars in the area.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:55:38 pm by KenToad »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
I spent every summer on Lake Winnipesaukee as a kid.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
I have heard of the 1983 bar, but I haven't had the chance to visit. It's not too far from the Up Down bar, which I also haven't had the chance to visit. My wife grew up in the former East Germany and I don't have that many friends who are nostalgic about arcade games. I've got one friend who likes to play console games, especially N64 era, and my son will play pretty much any video or tabletop game. Otherwise, most of my friends appear to view my obsession as a childish quirk, so it may be years before I visit any arcade bars in the area.

Next time I post an arcade party at my house make the trip down. Bring your wife, your son, your friend, or come alone. I have a dozen games. There is always good food and beer. My buddies all have kids.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
I was at the UP/Down in Minneapolis with Vigo last year. It was a cool place. I found a good stout there. I can't remember the name. Some of the games were in pretty sorry shape. We met two odd dudes that were strangely entertaining to talk to.

Didn't realize Vigo was a fellow Minnesotan. Cool.

J_K_M_A_N

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap

Next time I post an arcade party at my house make the trip down. Bring your wife, your son, your friend, or come alone. I have a dozen games. There is always good food and beer. My buddies all have kids.

Thanks! I'll bring some homebrew.  :cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

Now kiss.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
Uhh, is pbj invited?

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Yeah Galloping Ghost has the most arcade games, but isn't the largest arcade. They have like 3 pinball machines and 0 redemption machines.
I live in Milwaukee......

Have you been to a place in Milwaukee called 1983 (a bar maybe)? A buddy of mine was over there and had some time to kill and he ended up finding that place and he sent me a few pictures. Looked pretty cool. They had a decent amount of games it looked like. Maybe not 300 but it would be local for you. In the pictures I see Joust, Burgertime, Arkanoid, Elevator Action, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Centipede, Track N Field and a bunch of pins.

We have a place called Up/Down with a few games in it. Maybe 50-100 games or so. https://www.updownarcadebar.com/minneapolis/    Some of the games were not in great shape. Lots of loose joysticks and monitors in need of a cap kit. Still cool to hang out at.

J_K_M_A_N

EDIT

Looks like you have an Up/Down there also. https://www.updownarcadebar.com/milwaukee/

I live in Milwaukee we have 1983 and an Updown. Both are cool. Updown has a much better game selection though.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
You could fire up two original Centipede machines (or most any early game) side by side with a single switch and eventually one of them would pull ahead of the other one. One will inevitably be running a tiny bit faster than the other one.

Apparently classic Williams hardware is know for sometimes not even having consistent slowdown on a busy screen from one machine to the next.

Centipede used a 6502 processor - which has been emulated to death..  I'd think everything has been shaken out of that. 
Now what I would believe is the CPU clock circuit in the real cabinet I played at the arcade had some drift and that is why it seemed just ever so slightly slower than my MAME cabinet..  The most annoying part of the original machine I used was the spring on the fire button was set at about 15lbs (it seemed)...  My fire button finger was worn out in about 15 minutes.. 

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm

I am in Wonder Lake, IL. My arcade is even closer to you. Where are you located?

I'm outside of Racine (thankfully).  I didn't know you posted get togethers at your place.  I need to check out a few more of the sub-forums I guess.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
You are not far from me. I will do a better job of advertising next time.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
You could fire up two original Centipede machines (or most any early game) side by side with a single switch and eventually one of them would pull ahead of the other one. One will inevitably be running a tiny bit faster than the other one.

Apparently classic Williams hardware is know for sometimes not even having consistent slowdown on a busy screen from one machine to the next.

This makes sense..  I'd expect a 35 year old set of chips to have some drift.. 
I'll be back up that way again in April some time and will try out some more machines.

meany

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 02:12:23 pm
  • Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed....
The Galloping Ghost has 701 arcade games and soon will have 30+ pinballs including Alien and Predator pinballs.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

meany

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 02:12:23 pm
  • Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed....

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm

Yes, they've got like 2 of them.  Not very conveniently located.   :dunno

.... (Hawkeye looks off, blinking).......where should or could they be?

@jennifer: perhaps the emulation is accurate, but not correct. Whether there is drift in the original hardware, each is consistent in its manner.

@gildahl: B/W vector monitors have no shadow mask, is what I have heard.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:45:24 pm by Mr. Peabody »