Main > Everything Else

Is Star Trek having an internal civil war? (Major Spoilers)

(1/4) > >>

Howard_Casto:
Ok so I don't know if I secretly hate myself or what, but I decided to give season 2 of Discovery a try.  It seems like half of the people responsible for the show listened to the complaints and tried to address them and that the other half are doubling down with the canon breaking nonsense. 

We watch the first episode and Captain Pike shows up in a very nicely updated version of a TOS uniform and they mention that it's a new uniform..... and then halfway through the show he puts on those ugly enterprise-esque blue uniforms and wears that for the remainder of the show for no apparent reason instead of doing the sensible thing and change the uniforms for the whole show.  Captain Pike makes a point of asking every member of the bridge crew their name saying they are all important, saying that the ship isn't going to be ran like it was before.... as if he's talking directly to the audience and we FINALLY know the names of all the characters.  In this first episode one of the "other" characters even has a semi-important role and goes on an away mission.  Then episode two rolls out and it's back to the Michael Bernham show.  The Klingons are barely addressed initially and you think "oh they learned their lesson and put that plot thread away"  but nope.  The Klingons are back in the fray in episode 3.  So the Klingons now have hair and the front of their faces look more like the og Klingons.... but now they have these weird bean heads similar to the onion head Worf had in season 1 of TNG.  They still have those dentures in that keep them from talking properly as well.  They also make it a point to seemingly address the audience again when one of the Klingons say "we might as well speak English"  and then no more Klingon subtitles.  Pike has a communication with an admiral on a view screen and the admiral makes a note of telling him how unfashionable it is not to talk via hologram, which I guess is supposed to explain that away?  Then Bernham communicates via hologram in the very next scene.  Oh and half of episode three is a giant pilot for the new section 31 spinoff that got greenlit... so there's that.

So if you couldn't make it through that wall of text, long story short is that the show is now a mess of contradictions.  The actual plots of the episodes have improved a little though so it's a shame that all this world breaking nonsense is in the way. 

So all of that is weird enough, but if the rumor going around Hollywood is true, it gets even weirder.  So the main plot thread of this season is the discovery of these red lights in the sky and these red angels that are appearing.  So you know in the beginning of the first Kelvinverse film where og Spock is messing with the red goo that he uses to magically fix that unstable star and gets flung back in time into the Kelvinverse?  Well the red angels are apparently multiple Spocks from multiple timelines using the goo to time/dimension travel.  They are appearing all over the galaxy to fix problems in the timeline.  So yes,  if true they are going to erase/alter the timeline Discovery is in to make it more like the prime timeline again, thus fixing all of these canon-breaking screw-ups.  In addition it will erase the Kelvinverse, which is fine since they cancelled those sequels anyway.  Oh but it gets stranger....  that new Picard show is going to involve Picard dealing with the destruction of Romulus as seen in the events of the first Kelvinverse film.  So yeah, we might get a big old cross-over with all of the shows at some point. 

It's hard to call what they are doing good... it's a hot mess.. but it's such a glorious train wreck I can't look away.  I'm excited to see how they are going to screw this up even further as the season progresses. 

Mr. Peabody:
Too many prescription drugs going through the population, affecting the do-ers, and the watchers.

leapinlew:
Thanks for your synopsis Howard! I enjoyed reading that. I had to wait till I caught up with the show to read it, but it ended up not having any spoilers in my opinion.

The only way this show has made sense to me is by mentally detaching it from any other Star Trek I've watched. When I try to think about the Klingons, timelines, technical mis-matches.... headache. When they introduced the crew in the first episode of the 2nd season I thought "about freaking time".

As much as I enjoyed The Orville first season, the 2nd season is a turd. I've been watching Star Trek to see how they are going to untangle all this, but it's been a confusing pile of story to try and make sense of. I'm still watching though. :)

Howard_Casto:
Yeah so on episode 4 "Number One" makes a quick cameo and explains that the damage on the Enterprise is extensive.  Pike says that it's probably those damn holographic com devices and tells her to rip them out.  Again, as if to directly address the audience, he says "I never liked those damn things anyway, everybody looked like ghosts".  He goes on to explain that the Enterprise will only use view screens from now on.  So I guess that's the slap-dashed fix they are going with to repair canon.  I mean that would be great if we'd never ever seen another ship in the entire federation for the past 50 years... but … you know... since we have.  It's like when you catch a toddler in a lie and they come up with an even stupider lie to try and save face. 

That being said, the episode was actually pretty good and fairly Star Trek like.  Boy does it highlight the inability for Ms. Green to act.  Poor Saru, one of the few characters we give a damn about is slowly dying and she can't even manage to convincingly act sad.  While I did like the episode, the punchline was that it's a plot devised entirely to fix more errors in the show.  You know Saru's magical ability to sense danger? (Aka he gets scared lol)  Yeah that's gone now.  The way it was setup it could lead to some interesting plot lines but I think that was largely by accident.  Oh and Tilly's sub-plot was pretty boring as we've seen it a million times in Trek.  The little MAGA vs hippie nation argument in the middle of it was kind of strange as well, especially considering the hippie turned out to be wrong, which inadvertently makes it an anti-environmental message which is the antithesis of everything Trek stands for. 

Also I take it that we aren't going to actually see Spock until the end of the season, which is probably a good thing considering how badly they would butcher him. 

I actually have been enjoying season 2 of the Orville, awkward cast change aside.  The last episode where the DR.  ---smurfs--- a robot is kind of weird though.  :)

Mr. Peabody:

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on February 10, 2019, 01:03:02 pm ---The last episode where the DR.  ---smurfs--- a robot is kind of weird though.  :)

--- End quote ---

Not if you live in Asia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version